Brit school

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Brit school

Post by riverdancefan »

I have searched here on the subject but not really found any answers I wanted?
I would be really grateful if any parents with kids attending the Brit school could give me an idea of how satisfied they are with the content of the performing arts , and if they are happy there?
please PM me if you don't want to post in general view, I would love to hear any opinion at all, as we go forward with DS, it's an option we are considering..
I hope their are some Brit school mums on here..
thank you x

RDF
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
rebeccaM
BRIT Award

Re: Brit school

Post by rebeccaM »

We are going to the Open Evening this Thursday, and I would also be grateful for any Brit School mums to let me know their thoughts - please post or PM. DD is looking at the Theatre course - these decisions are so important to get right. Thank you.
letitshine
GRAMMY Award

Post by letitshine »

Hi guys how did it go my dd is 11 but I have had a look at brit school bit would really love some views on it from parent and students and where the students go on to further training x
MILLET
BRIT Award

Post by MILLET »

Went to the Brit Schools open evening last Wednesday with a friend and her daughter who was interested in either the Dance or Musical Theatre course. Has anyone any views or experience on these courses or The Brit School in general.
Misspatricia
BRIT Award

Post by Misspatricia »

My DD is currently in her final year at The Brit school, she's been there since she was 14 and has loved it! My DD is in the theatre course and has learnt an unbelievable amount about acting! Although I think the timetable has changed slightly since she was in the lower school, DD did her vocational curiculum all day thursday and Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday afternoons in year ten and the same in year 11 except Wednesday is switched to Fridays ( remembering Fridays end at 12:30 unless you have an extended day for rehearsal) - hope that gives you an idea of how much time they have academically.

For theatre in year ten and eleven you learn
.contemporary acting
. Classical theatre (Shakespeare)
. Voice work - speech and drama and occasionally singing
. Physical theatre
. Children's theatre

For theatre in year 12 and 13 the course is a LOT more demanding with longer hours
You learn:
- contemporary theatre
- classical theatre
- children's theatre
- directing
- acting audition technique
- theatre workshop
- script writing
- physical theatre
- site specific
- voice and speech
- community arts
- and professional opportunitys where industry professionals come in every Friday to run workshops with the students, DD loves this day :)
Excluding Fridays the hours are usually 8:45/9:00 until 4:15 or 5:00.

The teachers are brilliant and really know "their stuff". They are also there for the students to talk to and help them with any personal matters or assisting them with written work.

DD's friends in the dance And musical theatre courses have the same timetable as Theatre in year ten and eleven - in MT you learn Jazz , contemporary , singing , drama , and repotoire. And dance learn jazz, conteporart , street dance with extra curricular classes in ballet tap and modern until 6:30.

For year 12 and 13 the dance course is very demanding....

There usually there from 8:00 unitl 6:30 where they learn compulsory ballet, tap, jazz contemporary and street dance, with a few compulsory extra curricular classes in modern ballet & tap , jazz and jazz lifts, stretch and conditioning , pilates and dance audition technique - dance also learn dancing for camera, musical theatre, community arts, PYSICAL theare and train for a week in new York and have quite a few opportunitys to dance at events at the royal Albert hall and other events up London :)

Musical theatre in the sixth for learn ballet tap , jazz , contemporary , drama , ensemble singing and reptoire.
They are usually there from 8:45 until 5:00.

All strands can do extra curricular dance lessons and priavte singing and music lessons.
DD has really enjoyed her time there and has made some lovely friends, it has been quite Tiring at times but her teachers and friends have always been there to help:)

I hope this helps and goodluck with all you're very talented children in whatever they choose :)
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

You are a star misspatricia!!
Thankyou so much for taking the time to post this!
Very interesting

X
Misspatricia
BRIT Award

Post by Misspatricia »

No problem riverdancefan :)

Good luck with your DS :)
X
the mumster
BRIT Award

Post by the mumster »

Miss Patricia - please could you tell us a little about the non-performance related side of things? How much time do they spend on academic subjects? Are their exam results good? We're considering Brit school for dd in a couple of year's time, but I'm anxious that she has the back-up of a good all-round education given she is hopefully going into such an uncertain career!
Its the posh, posh travelling life, the travelling life for me ......
Misspatricia
BRIT Award

Post by Misspatricia »

Hi there "the mumster" :)

Believe me you are not alone - I was thinking exactly the same when my DD was 13 , we missed the open day so took a real gamble with this school! DD was at a very good academic school which get amazing results every year but if asked did we make the right choice - We sure did!! :)
Well in year ten and eleven the day starts at 8:45 and ends at 4:15 Monday to Thursday and 12:30 or 2:00/30 on Fridays depending on whether you have a extended day - this could be academic or vocational lessons.
All lessons are 45 mintues long and they have 8 lessons a day ( Fridays 4 - 5 lessons).
Academic lesssons are taught Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday mornings 8:45 until 1:00 ( 8:45 until around 12:15 I think on fridays - DD isn't in the lower school anymore so she's trying to remember the new lower school time code:)

You learn mathematics, English language, english literature, science, ICT, citizenship, then you must choose between either 1: history or sociology, 2: french, Spanish, or German. And drama , dance, music, art, textiles or media - although in this last Colum I'm not sure how many you can choose - in the others you must choose only one! Im sure it's one! :)

Class sizes range from 20 to 24 pupils and they offer school trips just like all other schools - museums, galleries etc. In year eleven pupils who need extra help are grouped in groups of four and with their own teacher to help them with their studies - exatra classes in all subjects can be taken after school around march or April for further studying in year 11. All pupils are pushed to achieve their goals, DD would never have of passed English if it wasn't for her such dedicated teacher ( who she hated - I loved) who continuously made her re- do work and pushed her , not to much but just enough so she realised her potential and what she could achieve.

I think the exam results are very good - they get better every year - the academic teachers are wonderfull ( apart from a naggy french teacher that my DD won't ever get over and has said to warn you about - I'm sure there's one in ever school , Haha!!

I think that's it - well all I can think of at the moment - if there's anything else - I'll be happy to answer the best I can :)
X
the mumster
BRIT Award

Post by the mumster »

wow! This is SO helpful. I don't think I dare show it to her yet, she'll be nagging me to go there for the next year! Thank you very much xx
Its the posh, posh travelling life, the travelling life for me ......
Misspatricia
BRIT Award

Post by Misspatricia »

Haha, that's okay!!
Xx
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

DS spoke to two boys at the RAD weekend of dance who attend the Brit school ,both were full of praise and this has helped us decide to go and have a visit as well.
It's a pretty easy journey for us, very direct, unlike Conti which was a bit of a "mare"

thanks again!

x
mumtomil
GRAMMY Award

Post by mumtomil »

Hello, im 13 and my apolication has been sent. Waiting on results! Allthough i do attend the saturday class at brits, brit kids, its from 9:30-12:30 and os taught by teachers at the brit school and every year we put on a summer show in the stadium. Ita great!

My daughter wanted to tell you all that- I reccomend it to!
13 girl with ambitions to be in the westend.
www.starnow.co.uk/millyzero
mumamia
GRAMMY Award

Post by mumamia »

Hi
I am new to this site and I was wondering if any one could advise me please my DD has an audition workshop
coming up at the Brit School, could anybody tell me what sort of thing that they do in the workshop.
This is for the 3 year mt course.
Also she has an audition for NYT are the workshops the same or similar?
Any help would be appreciated thank you.
Mumamia
Misspatricia
BRIT Award

Post by Misspatricia »

Hi Mumamia. Welcome to NAPM :)

For the sixth form auditions at The Brit school you will attend youre first audition workshop (which you are) where you will take part in a jazz dance workshop - quite an intense, driven warm-up (as most dance is) then you will work on pirouettes, shuffle & step ball changes, leaps etc and working on a short routine. The acting workshop is usually based on improvisation, although script work may be included. The singing workshop will begin with you're vocal warm up exercises then on to ensemble singing work and harmonies and then repotoire- they will want to hear you sing solo - just a verse or two of the song you're working on and during you're warm up exercises.

If you get passed this round then you're given a selection of singing and acting pieces and must prepare a dance too (this can be any style).

If you meant auditioning for the lower school you're be given a choice of musical theatre songs to choose from (just one song) and you will need to prepare a contemporary acting piece and choreograph a dance - when my DD was in the lower school they didnt have workshops for the lower school just individual auditions.

Sorry I didn't know what year you're daughter was applying for - year ten or year twelve? As you said shes auditioning for a 3 year course - you don't have a 3 year musical theatre course at Brit, it's either a 2 year Course (year 10 and 11 or year 12 and 13) or a 4 year course (years 10-13).

I hope this helped a liitle bit, goodluck with you're DD's audition! :)

X