Does anyone have any children/views of Redroofs?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Overtherooftops
BRIT Award

Does anyone have any children/views of Redroofs?

Post by Overtherooftops »

Looking at Redroofs for my daughter.

Its a lot of money for fees and extra's so I just wondered if anyone had any experience of it.
funnygirl
BRIT Award

Re: Does anyone have any children/views of Redroofs?

Post by funnygirl »

I think that it depends on what your dd's area of expertise is. I went to look at it a few years ago with a view to my dancing daughter attending. the level of dance was not high at all and the studios were much too small for serious dancers. The academics were also a bit haphazard but I did love the family atmosphere of the school. I can't vouch for any other disciplines there and things may have changed as well but I chose not to let my daughter apply.
Overtherooftops
BRIT Award

Thanks funnygirl

DD is good at dance but I wouldn't say she is outstanding in that she is naturally good at it but has not had a huge amount of training, I do think she could do well though.

She is very good at drama

Her voice is not bad although she definatley needs some kind of teaching as its all over the place at the moment!

She is not academic at all! I do not think she will be a leading lady ever but she will make a damn good cast member.

Looking for somewhere small and nurturing, where did you apply in the end if you do not mind me asking.
Humph
GRAMMY Award

Post by Humph »

Hi - Why dont you see if your DS can join one of the fabulous Summer Weeks or a Show Biz Sunday then you can get a real understanding of the standard . :D
Overtherooftops
BRIT Award

Thanks Humph, will look into it. :)
funnygirl
BRIT Award

Post by funnygirl »

As my dd was and is really only into her dance she only applied to the "big four" dance schools in the end - a decision that paid off!! ;) I looked at red roofs as I thought hat it might have been a good way of allowing her to stay at home a little longer but it would not have provided the correct level of training for her. From what you said, though, it may be a good fit for your dd so is probably worth a look!
Overtherooftops
BRIT Award

I am also looking at Hammond, she could do the next year or two of primary in the prep, its not selective at prep stage but does do some dance training at that level and still do her normal lessons in the hope she would be good enough for hammond in drama or dance by eleven.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Whereabouts do you live? Just be aware there is no boarding in the prep at Hammond. Saying that it looks a lovely little school and I am very tempted to send non performing ds there just for the small, nurturing environment.

Dd went to the Hammond year 5 taster day last Friday and we are currently deciding whether to apply. I don;t think she is good enough to get in on dance but may do for drama. We are just not sure whether there will be enough dance training for her on the drama course as they only do one hour per week.

Might be going to see the lower school show tomorrow. Saw the MT prof diploma show on Saturday.
Overtherooftops
BRIT Award

Thanks

Can you just go to the show?

We are not a million miles away so boarding not an issue for Hammond Prep.

I am same though, I wonder if she would even get in on dancing, she probably would on drama but then she loves her dancing! :?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

You have to buy a ticket but they encourage members of the local community to go and watch. You could ring tham and ask if they have any left. Dh is organising mine.
emypeach
BRIT Award

Post by emypeach »

funnygirl wrote:As my dd was and is really only into her dance she only applied to the "big four" dance schools in the end - a decision that paid off!! ;) I looked at red roofs as I thought hat it might have been a good way of allowing her to stay at home a little longer but it would not have provided the correct level of training for her. From what you said, though, it may be a good fit for your dd so is probably worth a look!
Sorry if I sound ignorant, but what are the 'big four'?

E x
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

The big four as defined by a recent controversial thread on balletcoforum and that offer MDS funding for dance are:

Royal Ballet School
Elmhurst
Hammond
Tring Park
emypeach
BRIT Award

Post by emypeach »

Thank you!

E x
funnygirl
BRIT Award

Post by funnygirl »

Overtherooftops, as far as I know, Redroofs does not offer any boarding and if you are close enough to do a daily commute to Hammond then I think it may be a bit far for you!! ;)
OutoftheShadows
BRIT Award

Post by OutoftheShadows »

RedRoofs do now offer host housing just like Sylvia Youngs so boarding is available, There are a few parents on this site whose kids are in RR & doing really really well, I hope one of them PMs you overtherooftops.