An Inspector Calls Audition advice

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

serenwen
Nominee

An Inspector Calls Audition advice

Post by serenwen »

Hello I am new to this site but think I now may have the right place for this post. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of auditioning for a part of the daughter in this production? My daughter is going for an audition but we are not sure what to expect.

Many Thanks
aliceinwonderinc
GRAMMY Award

Re: An Inspector Calls Audition advice

Post by aliceinwonderinc »

Haven't auditioned for the part but know the play, have you read it? At the beginning of the play, the daughter is essentially a vapid, self-centred young woman who has accepted her upper-class parents' capitalist ideas, but she ends up being the character who changes the most in the play - at the end she feels a lot of guilt about what she has done and tries to get her family to change their ideals.

Hope this helps, good luck! x
serenwen
Nominee

Post by serenwen »

I haven't read it or seen it ,only looked bits up online. Thank you very much for your reply, we will definitely be keeping your information in mind when auditioning :)
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I hope it all goes well for your daughter's audition. If she has time then she should definitely read the whole play before auditioning so that she can form her own opinion of the character. If this is impossible, then reading information on line will at least help - there's plenty of it about. It does depend a bit on who is doing the auditioning. If this is a professional audition and she has not read the play (which is widely available), then she will be at a disadvantage, as she will appear unprepared.

If you google "inspector calls play" you can access the entire script on-line.

In terms of what to expect at the audition, this also depends on the company. Everyone has different ways of auditioning.

It is almost (absolutely?) certain that she will be asked to read from the play and if she reads the entire play, she will probably spot the most likely passages so will be able to prepare them. She may be asked about the play and there might be some improvisation or a workshop style audition. If it's a professional audition, there may also be a short chat/interview about her experience etc.

Best of luck!
serenwen
Nominee

Post by serenwen »

Thank you. So glad I joined up to this site as everyone is so friendly and helpful :) I believe it is not a speaking part but the children are important to the scenes and I get the impression are on the stage quite a bit. From what I can gather it will be about looks and character. Will definitely look the script up online and read through it with my daughter so that she gets a good feel for the character. I will also go and see if they have the book at our local library.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Hmm. In that case, reading the script will no doubt be useful in a general way, but won't really help her prepare and probably isn't as essential as I implied in my last post. I didn't realise it was for a non-speaking part! I have never seen a production with children in it, and there are none mentioned in the character list. As far as I remember (which may not be at all accurate, it's a while since I last read it) there are no young children even mentioned in the script as part of the household! How confusing.

From what you have said, there probably isn't much she can do to prepare but I am sure that those doing the casting will make her feel welcome and will tell her exactly what they need at the audition.
serenwen
Nominee

Post by serenwen »

It is the official tour of An Inspector calls that is coming to our local theatre. They are looking for two boys and a girl. I looked at their official site and can see two boys and a girl in the pictures. The girl is around 10-12 years old.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Ah well, that just goes to show how hopeless my memory is!

Best of luck to her and I hope it all goes well.

I've had a look at the site you mention. My knowledge of important theatrical productions of the last 20 years is obviously sadly and embarrassingly lacking!

The children in this production are obviously part of the director's vision, but as far as I'm aware they don't appear in the original script, except perhaps as descriptions of a world outside the seemingly comfortable home of the family.

Do let us know how things go!
cops22
GRAMMY Award

Post by cops22 »

serenwen..... what town are you in?????
Was the audition posted on the theatres website or is it through a theatre group??
They should be able to tell you what's needed at the audition....
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

From what I can remember of the NT tour of this a good few years ago, I think they are playing on stage at the beginning of the play.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Golightly
BRIT Award

Post by Golightly »

My dd did this a few years ago. They are looking for very natural children who can take direction. The audition was just a fun workshop.
It's the version of the play that Stephen Daldry created. The children (three boys and a girl when she did it) aren't related to the main cast and are non-speaking roles. It's a lovely production to do though, my dd loved that she got to dance in the rain on stage every night, and they are on stage when the house comes crashing down at the end - it's a fantastic stage experience for the children.
serenwen
Nominee

Post by serenwen »

Thank you for all the great advice. My daughter is in a theatre group but we were only told a little about the characters, so were hoping someone could shed a little more light on what was involved. That's a great help Golightly, nice to talk to someone who has been through the process before :) Audition is next week so will let you know how she gets on.
Elizasmum
BRIT Award

Post by Elizasmum »

My DD is doing this in November. She is really excited as its her first 'professional' show and although non speaking it will be a great experience. I see they are on stage for opening scene and again at end. It is her and two boys and they are doing all eight shows over a five day period. If anyone has seen or is going to see the current tour (think it only started last week) and can shed any more light on what the children do I'd be really grateful.

Thank you x
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

It was on bbc 1 last Sunday but I didn't get to watch it,no idea if children were in it or not!
possiblypushy
GRAMMY Award

Post by possiblypushy »

lotsolaffs wrote:It was on bbc 1 last Sunday but I didn't get to watch it,no idea if children were in it or not!
I watched it on catch up - absolutely brilliant! I love Ken Stott and Miranda Richardson and they were terrific in this, as were the rest of the cast. I recommend watching it if you can.

(No, there were no children featured apart from a brief glimpse of a child working in the mill).