URGENT ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

ruby95
GRAMMY Award

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE

Post by ruby95 »

I have recently landed a significant speaking role in an off west-end production. I have never been in a professional theater production before and so on one level, of course, I am very very excited. \:D/

However I also now have a dilemma.

Firstly, as well as acting, the role also involves singing and dancing; neither of which I am at all confident with. This would make me very nervous about taking the part and practicing these skills, which I don't really posses, in front of an audience who have paid to see professionals perform.

Secondly, if I take the role I would have to miss a significant amount of school and so would get behind on work. I am in my AS year and am hoping to apply to some quite difficult universities so school grades are very important to me. I have one AS exam in January.

Finally, excepting the part would also mean I miss out on lots of other little things such as being able to enjoy time with my friends before my exams start after Christmas. I would also have to miss the rest of this term of LAMDA lessons which may well effect my result in the exam. I am currently work towards my grade 8 which is hard enough as it is!

Recently I decided that I definitely wanted to put trying to succeed as a professional actor before all other sectors of my life, but at the moment it feels as if, instead of being able to choose to focus on only one, I would have to juggle everything. I wouldn't want to end up doing a mediocre job all round. On the other hand I know this is an amazing opportunity and I feel honored to have been given it.

Any advice on what to do would be gratefully received. Thanks.
Angela
BRIT Award

Re: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE

Post by Angela »

I think you know what you are going to do in your heart of hearts...
Exams are an essential in my mind if you want to get to some "Difficult Universities " but thats my opinoin.
I am sure some one else on here will have some help.
Pg springs to mind. her knowledge and understaning is second to none.
Hope you make the right choice.
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

congratulations firstly on getting the role - but its clearly come around at a time that's not great for all of the other things going on, and commitments you've got coming up. If it was my dd I would say, you've clearly done really well and impressed to get this opportunity, and there will be others, this one has not come at the right time, with so many things to juggle you arn't going to have your head in the right place if you are in fear of this affecting you getting good grades for your AS exams.
These are really important, you don't want to end up having to re-take any if you dont do so well first sit, if you can help it....and fitting retakes in around the A2 course too would be a real pain and extra workload.
I'd consider 'are you going to be able to concentrate and do everything to your best ability and full potential taking so much on' ???
You need to weigh up the pros and cons.There will be other opportunities that will come along again in the future - but you need your A levels , and you'll have more of a choice of careers and opportunities if you get a good set of grades, and if you don't, then at least you'll have put in the time and work. Because if you do the theatre work and don't get the grades at AS, you will blame it on the theatre work distraction having taken up your time. You don't sound too sure about what's involved in this role either, and I'm sure if you didn't have so many other things going on at the time you'd be able to concentrate on the singing and dancing parts, but as you say, you'll have revision to do etc with school work and catching up to juggle too.

You'll need good A levels grades too if you plan to go to a good uni as you say, and if you decide to pursue a career after A levels at a Drama school, you still can
- If you were my dd ..I'd advise concentrate on A levels at the moment., and if you can juggle your time..fit in LAMDA exam too where possible. good luck, and I'm sure you'll make a decision that's right for you.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Hi. Very well done for being chosen, you must have impressed as I'm sure there were lots of people interested.

Can I ask - is this a paid production? Or is this a profit share or expenses type of deal. When you say "off West End", do you mean a high profile fringe theatre? Is it an Equity contract? Did this come via your agent?

If it's fringe, and you are not being paid (or if it's profit-share - which often means no money in the end), then I would be inclined to turn it down if I were in your shoes. It is always hard, turning things down, but sometimes it is the right thing to do. I think if you are having doubts, then it's probably not right at the moment.

To coin a cliche : it's a marathon, not a sprint. Not doing this right now won't mean you can't succeed in the future. At this stage in your career/education it is almost certainly better to concentrate on academic work (and some enjoyable diversions!).

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

Ruby ... do think very carefully about this. My DD took far too much on last year when she started her AS levels and ended up extremely ill with glandular fever in the Easter term :( She has really only just recovered from that as she developed all sorts of unusual complications. Although it has been hard she has turned down lots of offers for work this year and is just concentrating on getting her A levels and preparing for drama school auditions. Juggling A levels and outside activities is very difficult especially if you are aiming for high grades ... the workload appears to be quite relentless ... and you really do have to be careful not to spread yourself too thinly! it's important also to make sure than you can occasionally just stop and smell the roses too :)

Good luck whatever you decide to do!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

By the way, the paid/unpaid issue is not so much to do with the money for someone still in education (though of course, one should never ignore it because it does come in useful ;) ) it's more to do with the way an acting credit is judged by CDs.
ruby95
GRAMMY Award

Post by ruby95 »

Thank you so much everyone for your very helpful advice. :D
I will take all of it into account when I discuss this properly with my parents.
I have also arranged a meeting with my school for next week.
Can I ask - is this a paid production? Or is this a profit share or expenses type of deal. When you say "off West End", do you mean a high profile fringe theatre? Is it an Equity contract? Did this come via your agent?
PG: It is in a very high profile fringe theater and the payment is profit share. You have given me a lot of good advice lately, PG, and I am very grateful. Thank you.

If anyone else has any other advice then I would really like to hear it.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Listen to your "inner voice". It is giving you pause for thought for a good reason. If you really thought it was doable I think you would not hesitate. You seem to knw yourself that this would ask a lot of you.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.