Changing acting agency's

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

harry2
GRAMMY Award

Changing acting agency's

Post by harry2 »

I am thinking of changing agents as I'm just getting very little castings from my current agent.
Also I have been accepted by a local agent who have a good cv of young actors in tv film and commercials.
I do. Have a great relationship with my current agent so should I stay put because of that?
A minor snag the new agent wants me to do extras work as well... It this bad?
titania

Re: Changing acting agency's

Post by titania »

Harry If I remembetr correctly you are in your teens. That is traditionally a slow period especially as you get to an age when older (over 16) can play down. Its is always easier for a production company not to have to licence. Extra work does not usually lead to featured roles and if you are trying to build a career will not make any difference and can in some cases hinder it.

That being said have you spoken to your current agent and asked them whats around?

Changing agents to one who seems to have alot of succesful actors of the same age and look is often counter-productive as they may prefer to suggest the ones who already seem to be most likely to get the work.

If you want to PM me the names of the agents concerned I might be able to offer better advice.
harry2
GRAMMY Award

Post by harry2 »

Have pm'd you titania, This extra work thing tho leaves a sour taste in my mouth I've done a bit and you get treated horrible and its full of people who think there going to get a main part with zero training or experience because anyone can do extras work.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

All really good points from Titania. I would second the advice to talk to your agent. I know so many actors who have had no auditions/castings for paid work AT ALL this year and quite a few who have only been for castings for commercials (where the CD sees hundreds, so the chances of getting work are slim).

I would be inclined to make an appointment to go and talk to your agent and ask what you can do to increase your chance of being seen. It's important that you approach such a meeting with a pro-active attitude - not a "why are you not getting me any auditions?" attitude. Your agent will probably (though not definitely!) be working very hard on your behalf and you will get a better reaction if you acknowledge the work they are doing for you. Ask them what you have been submitted for recently, do some research before you go and arm yourself with some suggestions for contacts you could make and ask their advice. Do you have a showreel? Ask them whether they think it's selling you well.

I think it is only once you have had a really honest discussion with your agent that you can make a decision about moving on to someone else.

I would also suggest that if the new agent is willing to take you on without seeing you "in action" then in all likelihood they are not going to be a better bet than your current agent. The best agents (and those most respected by CDs) are very particular about who they take on and will insist on seeing what you are capable of before signing you up. Has this new agent seen you perform?

In terms of extra work - as an adult I would be very wary of joining an agency that wanted me to do extra work. This is different for younger performers I think, where there is perhaps a better attitude of "it's all good experience". Most adult acting agencies that have any clout/influence/good connections with CDs will try to steer their clients away from extra work. My agent (who is definitely not one of the big players) advises all her actors not to do extra work.
harry2
GRAMMY Award

Post by harry2 »

Thanks guys for your advice,
I will defiantly try your suggestions out.

I had to audition with the new agency two contrasting monolouges + an impro and script workshop. So obviously they don't take everyone on for main parts and those who don't fit their standards just get extra work.

I don't have a show reel thats edited together just various performance footage that could be I think spotlight can do it though.

They said a lot of people are going with small featured roles because of the lack of work around but extra work as well I'm wary tbh.