Newbie Licence Confusion

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

geordiegirl
GRAMMY Award

Re: Newbie Licence Confusion

Post by geordiegirl »

In our experience a licence has always been required, and this has been brought up by the production company themselves in advance of filming. Any child up until the end of year 11 (UK) needs to be licensed if they are being paid and missing school. If they are going out of UK then the producer needs to apply to High Court for special licence to work abroad. For many countries outside of UK (bearing in mind the UK is one of the only countries in world that allows kids to leave school at 16 rather than 18) licensing and chaperoning need to be in place till 18 or in case of USA, till child graduates high school
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

PG is absolutely spot-on - regardless of whether any school is missed or not, and regardless of whether any payment takes place, there should be a license in place to protect the child.

Even in the case of the exemption letters that IOS mentions (which our LEA offer, but DD's agent doesn't agree are legal) the LEA are still party to the filming details - dates, locations etc, as they really should be because that way the production companies can be checked on if necessary.

And to confirm the other point that IOS made, a license can't be granted without you knowing about it, as there is a whole section for the parent to complete, which if you haven't been asked to do means no license can have been requested.
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

my dd was 15 at the time, and it was only for couple of hours, it was great experience, but did wonder about licensing and I didn't have a clue ! I do remember them asking to keep all the details on their records for any future projects and I asked them to be removed as at the time I was uncomfortable at them having her personal information on a file somewhere, but I'm much wiser now on all of this because of this site.
Hopeful1
BRIT Award

Post by Hopeful1 »

Hmmmn.........what happens if there isnt a licence. I understand the main issue is the safety of the child so lets discuss this from a point of view of the child having parental accompanient at all times. Is it then still such an issue or more of a technicality? How serious is it from a legal poijt of view could there be serious repurcussions if work has taken place unsuspectedly without an appropriate licence being in place?

I aks this as I would of course always accompany and ensure physical safety, though dont want to risk any legal action by trusting a producer to do their paper work properly and they havent.
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

You won't get into any trouble personally if there's not license (I think I'm right in saying) but the production company could be fined IF someone found out.

Don't get me wrong, it happens all the time, and the LEA are unlikely to even know you're filming so nothing in essence is going to happen. I know what you mean about your supervision and making sure everything's fine - I feel the same way when my DD does stuff. I am the best judge of what she would and wouldn't want to do; when she needs a break and how long she carries on - much more so than a remote person sitting in an office at the LEA who may or may not turn up on set. The licensing thing is there to protect kids whose parents don't understand / not so aware of the limitations of filming with kids.

So the basic fact is you can get away with it, especially with a student short but what we've given you earlier is what SHOULD happen, and really, even students should be getting into the right habits for their career.

And if it's a professional production we're talking about, I'd be a bit concerned about how "professional" they are as a company if they're not on top of the licensing requirements...
busybusybusy

Post by busybusybusy »

I think I'm right in saying that a parent can be fined up to a £1000 in some cases if a licence in not in place and the child has "worked" more than 4 days in a 6month period...always worth checking with your LEA..MIne have done things where I have asked for the forms and helped fill the producer's/student "part one" in for them...just to ensure it's above board.. shouldn't have to though..some students in particular are clueless ](*,)
Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children.
snookienoo
BRIT Award

Post by snookienoo »

My ds's have been on student films where they had no idea of licencing laws and expected them to work sat 7am until 9pm. Then again on the sunday 8-8pm. They thought I was being abit over the top when I refused to let the children work those hours. I wish they had some training at film school about working with children!
All my kids have had a licence and if the local authority has been unable to get the licence in time then we have been unable to do the job.
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

yes, I agree, students need educating on this, so important, and you'd have thought that such information was drummed into them by their tutors wouldn't you as an ethical requirement !. and if it isn't then I'd complain to the Uni/Film School.
My dd did only 4 hours, 2 hrs over two days, UNPAID,outside school hours, it was with students from a Uni, so that was ok then perhaps. But I would have expected some form of discussion and compliance with licensing regs had it been more hours and IF it had been paid work, and paid work would had to have gone through agent anyway.
sophiesocks
OSCAR Award

Post by sophiesocks »

i tend to just phone my local child employment officer and tell them the details and ask if i need a license for my dc, 3 times lately they have said yes and helped me orgnanise it and once they said a license wasn't necessary, its nice to have confirmation from them as to when we do and don't need a license.
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

busybusybusyis right £1000 for parent and production company and or costodal sentance so it quite serious. As Nicola has said licence is to protect the child to make sure that the place the child is going to be filming is safe, if there is any thing the child is going to be doing wile filming has any risks if so company has to put in place a paramedic, oldest ds when he was 5 had to put a key in his mouth so had a paramedic there so that if he stared to choke. So if a licence is not in place the LEA will not no if a child is in danger, LEA do come on set more nad more now.