Where would I find a ballet summer school?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Katymac
OSCAR Award

Where would I find a ballet summer school?

Post by Katymac »

Does it even exist?

My daughter (13) needs some fairly intensive ballet training to bring her up to standard; we are in Norfolk (if it matters)

Thanks
ash

Re: Where would I find a ballet summer school?

Post by ash »

northern ballet in leeds

http://northernballet.com/index.php?q=a ... mer-school

Their auditions were some time ago but woerth while calling them as they may have some last minute vacancies
STEFFYSMUM
GRAMMY Award

Post by STEFFYSMUM »

im pretty sure rad do some summer schools too
funnygirl
BRIT Award

Post by funnygirl »

It is very late to be looking for a summer school as many of them hold photo auditions earlier in the year and those such as Royal Ballet School are fully subscribed by now. However, all is not yet lost!

Others that hold photo auditions and that may still ne accepting applicants are Yorkshire Ballet Seminars and English National Ballet School. Sussex Summer School is another option but I'm not sure if they want photos or not. The same applies to Yorkshire Assemblies (different to Yorkshire ballet ...).

RAD do run courses and they are open to all. A lot of the larger dance schools also run summer courses and it may be worth asking your daughter's teacher if she knows about any of these locally.

Tring Park School is running a Tring Associates course but the advert is ambiguous about whether you have to be an associate or not to take part. I think probably not.

The Cecchetti society used to run a course at Tring in the hsummer that was open to others than those studying that method but I'm not sure if that still happens.

Why does she specifically need "bringing up to scratch"? That will determine which of the above and those already mentioned would be the most suitable!

Hope this helps!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

She gave up 2 years ago (still does lots of other dancing), but has realised (from her) she needs to take it up again.

So she needs some sort of remedial/starter/revision thingie

I have spoken to a teacher about her starting in September & she is having some private lessons over the summer, but I thought (naively) something intensive might help
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

You would probably do just as well with the private lessons Katy. If you look at the summer schools run by RAD here http://www.rad.org.uk/article_pink.asp?id=274

most of them have one hour of ballet a day - and then other dance styles as well - so she would get more ballet doing private classes for less cost!

I think it is too late for the really intensive ballet summer courses - deadlines will have gone as funnygirl has said. You can find out about the ones mentioned by funnygirl and ash by searching on ballet.co.uk doing dance section where a lot of ballet mums hang out (including me :roll: )
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Thanks I guess that is the way to go

We will see how much she remembers & how fast she catches up

She has plenty of 'everything else' at least all I can cope with dance wise
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Thanks Ash but Leeds is quite a long way from us