Sore throat remedies

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Sore throat remedies

Post by Nicola »

I KNOW this info is on here somewhere, but I promise I've looked and I just can't find it - My daughter's voice is croaky and struggling after 2 weeks of intense rehearsals for a show tomorrow (and after 3 sleepovers in a row, which has been more "over" than "sleep", I'm sure!!)

And I know that you people have fantastic remedies for a pick-me-up for the voice for just such situations. The director's told her to rest it today anyway, but I'm hoping I can buy a miracle cure that she can use today and tomorrow that will rejuvenate her voice - or at least get her through the show, as she has 2 solos!!

Someone's suggested Vocalzone, so opinions of this or any other suggestions gratefully and eagerly received!
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Re: Sore throat remedies

Post by Hecouldshine »

It's really annoying that we've lost so many old threads - there used to be so much detailed advice on them for various problems, including this one. From what I can remember you are right about the vocalzones lozenges but also the other thing to try is manuka honey; lots! Oh and don't talk!

Hope she recovers in time and has a great performance [-o<
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

Hello you might want to try SANDERSON'S throat specific mixture. Price: £3.65 you can purchase it in any chemist It works a treat but only use it for a quick fix. Good luck.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Have pm'd you with my tried andtested tips ;) :lol: :lol:
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Steam, steam and more steam.

What's the show? We have our Summer school show tomorrow too. Its been a long week.
Holland Park
BRIT Award

Post by Holland Park »

Hot drinks can be really good, too. If she's coming down with a cold (God forbid) then avoid dairy as best you can, but things like Lemsip, black tea and coffee (obviously not ideal) and hot squash (Ribena with hot water is my personal favourite) are all good. Essentially, you want to make sure everything she eats and drinks between now and the show is soft and warm. Steer her towards porridge/Readybrek in the morning, soup for lunch, etc. and keep the warm drinks coming.

Also, grab her some Jakeman's Throat and Chest sweets. You can grab them in Boots for about 70p a bag. They're really good to have backstage between scenes/acts because she can pop them in, they'll open the throat up and sooth the throat. They don't have the most pleasant taste at first, but once you get used to them, they're quite nice. I tend to carry them with me whenever I perform just because of how well they open up the vocal chords and loosen the chest.
songbird
GRAMMY Award

Post by songbird »

Proctors good to suck // no chocolate not much dairy and rest rest rest no speaking - we have a policy in our house if a big singing event no sleep overs we learnt the hard way too best of luck with her show
If you dont buy a ticket how can you ever expect to win !!
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

Thanks so much for all your helpful, prompt replies - I've managed to get everything you've suggested!! Our local Boots had Maunka honey (which I've mixed with hot water and lemon onto a warm drink - hope that's right?) I also got Sanderson's specific lozenges, Sanderson's syrup and Vocalzones! I thought best to attack it from all sides, just in case!

She also assures me she's rested her voice today - I know she's not sung at least but in a bunch of kids excited about a show, I'm sure there was still a fair bit of gossiping and screaming going on! She's now tucked up for a reasonably early night, so I'm hoping the powers of a good night's rest work their magic too.

I'll send her off tomorrow loaded with all the various remedies and I'm sure she'll be fine - there's probably an element of dramatic license with how bad it is anyway knowing my DD!!!! No doubt all will come right on the night.

And I'm glad I asked because now I have the relevant stuff in in case it happens again.

Islandsofsodor - she's playing Rizzo in a production of Grease at her holiday theatre club in Fenton. I'm SOOOO jealous - I've never had theatrical ambition myself, but if there was one role I would love to do, it would be that one!
we have a policy in our house if a big singing event no sleep overs we learnt the hard way too best of luck with her show
ah, songbird - how right you are in hindsight!!!
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

Vocalzone works for my ds when he tours. Best of luck. Also we don't do sleepovers when performing as it is so easy for kids to get tired out.
elena
BRIT Award

Post by elena »

Hi Nicola!
Just came on here and saw your post by a chance!
Sanderson`s specific does wonders!
Good luck for tomorrow, she is a busy girl!
Hope life is treating you nicely!
x
I am native Russian.

"An ounce of luck is better than a pound of wisdom." italian proverb
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

My day job is in Fenton.

Is it Steelworks, one of our teachers trained there.
whycan'thejustplayfootie?
BRIT Award

Post by whycan'thejustplayfootie? »

Just came on and saw this post. I
Know its too late for your DD now Nicola and i hope all is well. But for future reference- I bought a humifier for my DS' bedroom (Argos £25) as his voice completely went from too much rehearsing/singing at an end of school production. I got vocalzones, they helped a bit. Plus throat sprays etc, did a lot of research on the internet, and the common theme was masses of room temperature water, rest, sleep and a humidifier. Rest was the only thing really, no talking definitely no singing, lots and lots of sleep. I was very concerned as my DS said he had a lump in his throat. After less than a week he was fine. Apparently children's voices are quite resilient as long as they are using good technique.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

After a couple of requests, here are WM's TIPS ;)

My DD has always seemed to get throat problems before important performances, so over the years have used the following:
* No talking at all - sounds draconian but really helps. Use notepad/miming instead.
*Sanderson's Throat Specific gargle - you can get this at some, though not all, chemists. It really works, my DD now always has a stock "just in case". Also good to use at first sign of a tickle - where i buy it, the pharmacist always keeps it "for the singers who come in here".
*Steam - even a hot steamy bathroom helps. We now have a facial steamer (bought from Argos), but you can use bowl of water and towel.
*Hot Manuka honey and lemon drinks also help. I warn you the honey is EXPENSIVE :shock: (but cheaper in Tesco than health shops) but it really does have healing properties and i think is worth the money.
*Vocalzones are great and DD uses them just before she performs. They revive a "tired" throat as well - and were invented by a Welshman :D Tom jones swears by them - he even had them on a documentary about him a few weeks ago - both my DD and i shouted "he's got Vocalzones!!!"

Hope some of the above helps. We have amassed these tips over the years and they are all tried and trusted methods, and have got my DD through some tricky spots. A few weeks ago she had been on a girls holiday in Malia for a week, then attended a Pink concert (where i think there was lots of screaming, shouting etc) and she had a concert 2 days later. She had almost no voice on the Thurs, but the following night she managed this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDaMwH2bZJE
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

So glad everyone has posted their remedies. I think i will copy and save them this time :roll:

WM what a wonderful interpretation by your dd =D> =D> =D> Reallllllly enjoyable. Was this one of her audition pieces for drama school? Great to hear. I think you last posted a link to her singing a few years ago so really interesting to see/hear her now!
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
Holland Park
BRIT Award

Post by Holland Park »

Welsh Mum wrote:Tom jones swears by them - he even had them on a documentary about him a few weeks ago - both my DD and i shouted "he's got Vocalzones!!!"
I can see the advert not "Vocalzones - definitely won't make you a great singer."

Sorry TJ fans, but he just... isn't.