Musical theatre for boys

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

honeybea
Nominee

Musical theatre for boys

Post by honeybea »

Can anyone help? My DS is very keen on acting, dancing and singing and we have been looking for a regular musical theatre class for him in the last few months that isn't all girls! Can anyone recommend any in Central or South London? He has done week long Sylvia Young courses but keen to find a regular class. We have looked at Stagecoach, PSSA and he's been asked to join an elite Central London one but they are all lacking boys his age (10). He has just completed his run in Emil and the Detectives and keen to try something new. We are on the waiting list for ESTA but fear this will be September now.

thanks for your help :D
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Re: Musical theatre for boys

Post by Flosmom »

Doesn't Sylvia Young do a weekend school? I have no idea what the boy:girl ratio would get there.

In my experience, boys are in a minority everywhere so I hope you manage to find somewhere to suit him with more boys involved.

Deb x
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

Hi there - if you're willing to travel a little further - there are quite a few acting and MT groups here in hertfordshire - I agree with Debs that boys seem to be in short supply, but here in Herts, we certianly have quite a few groups that actively encourage boys. There's Trestle Arts Base in St Albans, Living the Dream, Act Now! and all the usual stagecoach/perform franchises. It also thought SY did after school and weekend courses that seemed to be popular with both genders. We also have some "Boys only" ballet classes too.

Best of Luck!
eleanorrigby66
GRAMMY Award

Post by eleanorrigby66 »

I think it'll be in a similar situation in most places... at all of DD's theatre and dance schools, boys are outnumbered about 15:1.
honeybea
Nominee

Post by honeybea »

Thanks to all for your advice.

Hertfordshire may just be a bit too far, encouraged to hear there is alot of boy interest there, interesting! Not so in South London. DS doing SY this week so I will ask the question! All his mates are uber sporty and DS is keen on sport too but doesn't understand why any of his friends are interested in drama etc ( he does have 2 sisters!)

Wondered also if anyone has any idea of boy : girl ratio at MYUK in Marlybone?
Thanks
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Nothing to do with MT at weekends, but when my girls did the Act2Cam film camp a couple of years ago I noticed there were more boys around. So if your DS fancies working in film as well as theatre, you might want to take a look at their holiday courses too.

Steve from Act2Cam posts on here, so I'm sure you'll find info if you pop a search into the box on the top RH of the page.

Deb x
sandiek123
BRIT Award

Post by sandiek123 »

GSA in Guildford run excellent Saturday classes in all disciplines. I've certainly seen lots of boys there. New term starts 26th April
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Jackie Palmer, based in High Wycombe have single sex classes and there are a lot of boys attending. Not sure whether that is a bit out of your area though. There must be others that have a similar format though.
All new to me!
sophiesocks
OSCAR Award

Post by sophiesocks »

Barta is in Bracknell they do singing, acting and dancing and good quite a few boys attend, they are currently putting on a production of bugsy malone.