Child Licence petition

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

admin
Site Admin

Child Licence petition

Post by admin »

I have just received this from Bizzykids, and thought many of you may be interested, as the differences between the councils issuing licences for our children is so vastly different. I agree that there should be a national guideline that every council should adhere to, to make it safe and fair for all children.

Bizzykidz would like all our parents to go to
http://www.stagecoach.co.uk/petition/petition.php and sign the 'Children's
Performance Licences' petition. Please also feel free to pass this on to as
many family and friends as possible.

Ed Vaisey who is the Conservative shadow culture Minister has lent his
support and firmly backs the campaign. The aim is to create a national
standard and a greatly simplified process for Child Performance Licences, as
at the moment there is no standard throughout the Country, with some
councils refusing to issue licences without weeks notice, resulting in
certain children not being able to do short notice jobs. At the heart of all
this is of course child safety within the industry.

The petition will be presented to number 10 before the year is out and we
are hoping for 100,000 plus signatures, so your support is vital.
Hope Never Dies....
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

While I do understand the problems with the postcode lottery system we evidently have, I have to say I have some doubts over passing the licencing to a third party who has an interest in the kids participation. No doubt Stagecoach are just frustrated by what currently happens and believe that they can do a betterjob - I think the probably could. My concern is that any production company (legit or a bit fly-by-night) could apply to to be a authorised provider of children to the entertainment industry, get their inspection - almost certainly pay a fee, and then be able to sign people off. We all know that some agencies are beyond reproach, while others are not quite so respectable. The issuing of these licences could be badly flawed. On this very forum there are tales of doom and gloom. Having the local authority carry the can for the legitimacy of a licence is, to my mind, quite safe. They're more likely to say no, than yes - annoying though that is. Who looks after the rights of the kids when their licence is held or issued by the people giving them the job? I'm not certain we're ready for self-regulation yet.

I'm thinking about the jobs where conditions and even perhaps the chaperones are a bit iffy - yet XYZ productions is licenced, because when they were inspected things were satisfactory, bt since then they have got a bit greedy, cut the breaks a bit, removed some of the quality chaperones and replaced them with some old biddy willing to work for nothing

The entire point is the chldren - NOT the inconvenience of the paperwork and admin.

The petition isn't very clear on exactly how they want the scheme to run, and just seems to say how bad the old one is. No mention of any criteria for licencees, possible fees. What cold happen is that the Government agree, change the legislation and insist on proper rigorous and robust inspection of licence holding businesses. So your little ones get asked if they'd like to be in the panto? You say yes, and get charged a substantial admin fee to cover costs. No fee=no job?

All it would take is for the Government to instruct the local authorities to do the current system consistently and properly. A move from licencing the kids to licencing a business (as in there to make a profit) seems a strange thing to do, just because the Councils can't get it right. These same councils would issue the licences to these firms, wouldn't it? They can still mess up.

I've not signed the petition ...... yet. I'd be very interested to hear other peoples views - after all, I'm probably just very suspicious, and untrusting.
Paul
busybusybusy

Post by busybusybusy »

Some very valid points...food for thought. :-k
Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children.
Headliner
BRIT Award

Post by Headliner »

I back this 100% as i missed out on a Disney Channel recall due to license problems :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
leatrix
Nominee

Post by leatrix »

Just on a slight off topic of this, is there a post which has a listing of authorities, which include ones that are notoriously difficult at all? I know that when my elder boy Will and I lived in Stockport, he got an open licence relatively easy, not sure about here in North Wales though?

Leatrix
threecees
BRIT Award

Post by threecees »

Last edited by threecees on Wed May 02, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Singingone
Nominee

Post by Singingone »

Hi,

I have seen people's notices about open licences. Do local authorities still issue them? I am furious at the moment - I have just been told that my son and daughter were booked for a job and the local authority would not licence them in time. I'm curious - what is the average time for a licence as I intend to approach my local authority to find out their reasons?

One extremely frustrated mum
threecees
BRIT Award

Post by threecees »

Last edited by threecees on Wed May 02, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amanda
GRAMMY Award

Post by amanda »

I think that you need to get to know the responsible person at your LEA. They can make thinks easy if they want to. I teach in the same LEA and the lovely lady who deals with licenses will do it while I wait at the local office if I turn up with all the right paperwork.
Trish2410
GRAMMY Award

Post by Trish2410 »

Not sure what Stage Coach are asking for and am shocked at the amount of time some County Councils are taking to license children. I would like to say a huge thank you to my CC Suffolk who can and do turn licenses round in hours. They are fab, friendly and professional. They know their job and that is why they are so efficient.

That said it's disgraceful that children are missing out on work because of the license thing. There should be a maximum amount of time the department has to turn a license around.
Notaluvvie
Nominee

Post by Notaluvvie »

Oh my word does this issue need sorting! There is one LEA I know who say they do six month licences but did not know what a viral was or an ident .... Stage Coach I think want the production companies to be licenced but I am not sure that is really workable. Not all agents are in support of what Stage Coach are trying to do but they virtually all agree that the 'post code lottery' is extremely unfair.
Laughter is good for the soul ....
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Re: Child Licence petition

Post by nextinline »

I agree that it makes all the difference having a good team who are supportive of the children whilst making sure that they are safe. National guidelines are a great idea to ensure equality for everyone. My council have been brilliant. \:D/ \:D/
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

We are lucky we can get a licence in 7 working days have got one in 48 hours I see Headliner says she could not go to a recall at Disney because of licence problems just wondered why as you do not need a licence for a recall. I feel that every where should be the same. I know a lot of areas did 6 months licences not many do any more mine looked into to and and where told by there legal team that it was not legal so would not be doing it others who did six months licences stoped for the same reason, so can not understand if it is not legal how some still do 6 month licences, If every where the same then he producion companys would have to be more orginesed and have to plan ahead when it came to emplying children
kittykatty
BRIT Award

Post by kittykatty »

I know this discussion has been going on for a couple of years but nothing seems to have changed.
My dd has lost a couple of unpaid out of school student films today because they wanted to film the end of the next week and the license couldn't be done.
What is annoying is that having not done a lot (and therefore trying to build up credits and showreel) had we lived in two neighbouring counties she wouldn't have needed a license as they have exemption for unpaid/out of school performances as long as it doesn't exceed 4 in 6 months. I know that because a friend rang the concil to ask re a performance and they said a license wasn't required. Hopefully they will postpone if they really want her but if they can get children to do it without license or who have exemption then I guess the will.

I don't understand how my council can say it is against the law to film without a license but another council says it is ok? Also, who is actually breaking the law - is it the university/students filming or would it be me allowing my child to be filmed.

To be fair the lady at the council was lovely and said that although it says 21 days they will try and do it within 7 days of receiving the paperwork if it is urgent so at least now I know for the future.

So I agree that there needs to be one law for everyone.
Jellybean
Nominee

Post by Jellybean »

I have had the pleasure or not, of being on set with my DD ,when an inspector from a Council was present . She was very thorough and ensured that the children were all licenced correctly . Even with a reputable production company she found some errors.i.e some children not licenced for that day etc. She stayed on set for many hours ,checked meals ,time sheets etc and even spoke to the children about their experiences.
She stated that she regularly inspect film shoots and theatres as she feels this a vital role to protect working children . However, she openly discuss the differences of procedures between local authorities for applications for licences and for chaperone licences.

On this shoot , luckily, there was a very wonderful chaperone who was strong enough to say no to further filming and pull the children off set when necessary .( Which did mean that the production company carried on shooting and unfortunately used the take when the children were not present in their final cut!!)

The inspector also stated that she had refused a licence for that shoot to a 5 year old and quite openly stated that her council refuses licence's regularly to children of all ages.

I do understand the frustration of the parents with the different time limits and perhaps there should be consistency between councils . However , I do echo the concerns above that this task should not be transferred to a business with a profit agenda , it must remain independent .

We are all guilty of wanting our children to have roles and fulfill their dreams and sometimes we may need protection from our own parenting.

I have been asked before if I minding that they carry on filming as they had gone over time . I found it very difficult to answer, thankfully the chaperone stepped in as an independent and said NO .

I do hope they find a away around this problem .