I C E campain

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

admin
Site Admin

I C E campain

Post by admin »

I have received this e-mail from 2 different sources now, and maybe some of you have by now as well... I feel it is an incredibly good and important thing to do, so decided to post it on here so that everyone can also do the same!

If you can each send it via e-mail to everyone in your addressbooks too, then it will help everyone who could use it, far quicker -one day it might be YOU!

Following the disaster in London . . .

East Anglian Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of
Emergency ( ICE ) " campaign with the support of Falklands war hero
Simon Weston. The idea is that you store the word " I C E " in your
mobile phone address book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency".

In an emergency situation ambulance and hospital staff will then be able
to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact
them. It's so simple that everyone can do it. Please do.

Please will you also email this to everybody in your address book, it
won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this.
It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest. For
more than one contact name ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc.

If someone had thought of this earlier, maybe the news wouldn't be full of those poor relatives and friends, still desperate to find or hear from their missing loved ones....
Hope Never Dies....
shellshocked
Nominee

Post by shellshocked »

Sounds resonable to me although in my experience the phone number under Mum or Dad seems to work.

I'd like to think it would make a difference if there were a next time and that people would not be still wondering about their missing relative. But in reality I think that no one will want to make that call unless they are absolutely certain. How do you know that jacket was with that person etc? So relatives will still be waiting for the proper id of their loved ones.

I do think the care of the relatives of the missing has not been handled as well as it should have been and this idea is probably been as a result of that. I feel I can say that because it is something I intend to take up with my MP having worked very hard to get her elected. I will take it up with her, not in a critical way but in a desire to see things improved next time. I'm not sure what difference the ICE idea will make but if it helps even one relative in the future it's got to be worth it. I really feel for them.
cheers
shellshocked
Life is for living
peaseblossom
Nominee

Post by peaseblossom »

When my children were small, I used to write my contact number & alternative on labels stuck in their shoes. I reckoned that even if items of clothing got lost, shoes were likely to stay on their feet longer, especially if they just wandered off or went out in an unfamiliar setting with an elderly grandparent who might get poorly. Even the littlest child could point to a label in their shoe.
Pebbles
Nominee

Post by Pebbles »

As a childminder, we are being encouraged to carry cards that state that 'I am a childminder...any children I am with may not be mine, please contact the parents...etc'. Also the parents are encouraged to carry something saying that their child may be with a childminder, and In Case of Emergency call them to keep the child until the second parent, or carer can take over.

Maybe Chaperones should also consider doing that?

If the ambulance service is trying to instigate a national idea, then maybe this is a common problem they are running into? and they are trying to find a way to contact the most important person to the victim? My Mother in law is on the phone as Mum, but she'd be far too panicky, and disorganised to be able to respond properly in an emergency - maybe they have run into that..or many without a 'mum' or 'dad' on the phone at all??
Our children are all stars...and every star has the right to sparkle...
shellshocked
Nominee

Post by shellshocked »

I quite agree I'm not sure I'd want my mum contacted first. And if she was with me, what then?
I like the shoe idea, we did have some wrist bands one summer for our kids, like hospital bands.

According to the BBC newswebsite the ICE idea was around before last Thursday http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4674331.stm

I can understand the ambulance service wanting something like this to help. Carrying id on who you are at all times would help too.

I'm still feeling awful for the relatives, I remember the poor Dunblane parents, they had too long a wait too. I do hope we find a solution, a way of improving things.
shellshocked
Life is for living
kimberlumps
Nominee

Post by kimberlumps »

I think its a great idea as say if my mum was in an acident, she would not want her Mother to be contacted first. She lives in Scotland and is very frail! ICE, if actually used, should make a big difference to contact relatives close by to know and help them.

:shock:
Are we there yet?
Nominee

Post by Are we there yet? »

Thanks for bringing this to our attention I have passed it on to everyone in my email address book and also passed it on to a couple of local parish magazines and newspapers.
eyes wide shut
Nominee

Post by eyes wide shut »

Yes thanks for the info. I passed it on too and received a reply from a friend who has a diabetic daughter. Apparently her daughter thinks its not cool to wear her medic alert bracelet :roll: but does carry her phone with her. Her mum thought it was a great idea.
look on the bright side
busybusybusy

Post by busybusybusy »

I always thought that if I came across an emergency I would look in the phone under "home" but I suppose that wouldn't work for people who live alone. #-o I go away to camp every year with youngsters and they have to wear a baseball cap at all times for identification if we're out and about and they have 2 mobile numbers written inside just in case ;)
Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children.
lizziemac
Nominee

Post by lizziemac »

Hi there
Please note the following information that was sent to me through my work e-mail system !!!!!!! as follows,

Following the message posted in Friday’s newsletter we have had several people advising us not to create ICE numbers on our mobile phones.

Originally the ICE phone numbers , standing for “In Case of Emergency”, were meant to help when someone is injured or in a difficult situation, indicating to First Aiders or the Emergency Services who to contact as next of kin. It now seems to put our phones at risk of a virus infection.

The advice given to us is as follow:

Be very careful with this one - although the intention is great it is unfortunately phase one of a phone based virus that is laying a path for propagating very quickly. Passing it on is part of the virus interestingly, such is the deviousness of the people who write these things.

We have already seen the "second phase" where a program is sent as part of a ring-tone download that goes into your address book and looks for something it recognises - you've guessed it, an address book entry marked "ICE or I.C.E." or whatever. It then sends itself to the "ICE list", charging you for the privilege.”
We would advise everyone who has set up these ICE numbers to delete them or rename them back to the person’s name.
Many thanks,
amanda
GRAMMY Award

Post by amanda »

Good grief.
Imagine what these people could do if they put all that effort and brain power towards something worthwhile!
busybusybusy

Post by busybusybusy »

Some people!! :shock: :( :x :( I hope no-one ever needs to contact their next of kin. :(
Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children.
lizziemac
Nominee

Post by lizziemac »

Since posting I have received a further e-mail from a colleague, I will let you read it and make up your own minds, it has left me totally confused, :? It was reported in a local newspaper in York.

Hoaxers try to spoil ice
by Tom Stirling

EMAIL hoaxers with "way too much time on their hands" are threatening to undermine an emergency mobile phone campaign, ambulance chiefs said today.

The Evening Press reported on Friday that all mobile phone users are being urged to join the In Case of Emergency campaign.

By storing an entry in their mobile's phone book with the acronym ICE and the name and number of a friend or relative, people can help paramedics alert loved ones in case they are involved in an accident.

The ICE campaign was launched in May this year, but gained widespread coverage following the London terror attacks.

A spokeswoman for local ambulance service TENYAS said it was "a fantastic idea", and urged phone users across the region to add their emergency contact number right away.

But after Friday's report, we received an email claiming that having an ICE entry in your phone book could expose your mobile to a downloadable virus.

The email warns that the virus searches for the ICE entry, and sends itself to the number it finds stored there, draining pay-as-you-go phones of credit.

But the East Anglian Ambulance Service, which launched the original ICE campaign, today rubbished the email's claims.

Spokesman Matt Ware said the email had been circulated by malicious hoaxers, and asked people to ignore it.

He said: "We have been inundated with emails and phone calls from people worried that, having put ICE into their mobiles, they are now going to be charged for the privilege.

"We would like to assure people that that is not the case.

"Whoever began this email chain is obviously a malicious person with way too much time on their hands."

Experts at website hoax-slayer.com called the warning emails "nonsensical".

In a statement, they said: "These rumours are completely false and should be ignored."

For more information about the ICE campaign, visit www.icecontact.com.

Updated: 11:24 Monday, July 18, 2005
Hammerdivone
Nominee

Post by Hammerdivone »

lizziemac wrote:Hi there
Please note the following information that was sent to me through my work e-mail system !!!!!!! as follows,

Following the message posted in Friday’s newsletter we have had several people advising us not to create ICE numbers on our mobile phones.

Originally the ICE phone numbers , standing for “In Case of Emergency”, were meant to help when someone is injured or in a difficult situation, indicating to First Aiders or the Emergency Services who to contact as next of kin. It now seems to put our phones at risk of a virus infection.

The advice given to us is as follow:

Be very careful with this one - although the intention is great it is unfortunately phase one of a phone based virus that is laying a path for propagating very quickly. Passing it on is part of the virus interestingly, such is the deviousness of the people who write these things.

We have already seen the "second phase" where a program is sent as part of a ring-tone download that goes into your address book and looks for something it recognises - you've guessed it, an address book entry marked "ICE or I.C.E." or whatever. It then sends itself to the "ICE list", charging you for the privilege.”
We would advise everyone who has set up these ICE numbers to delete them or rename them back to the person’s name.
Many thanks,
Fortunately, this warning was a hoax :roll:

http://www.eastanglianambulance.com/con ... 1121256619

I just wish IT Depts would stop these hoaxs circulating. If anyone is ever unsure about computer virus', then go to http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html or http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/hoaxes/
Why oh why do we do this!
Hammerdivone
Nominee

Post by Hammerdivone »

You beat me to it Lizzie :D
Why oh why do we do this!