The Degrees that earn the most

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

paulears
BAFTA Award

The Degrees that earn the most

Post by paulears »

Some depressing facts in this survey of Degrees and the salaries graduates get after a few years -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41693230

Sadly - we are bottom - and that really says something about the career prospects of doing what we do. It also shows that where you get a degree from is even more important, which I suspect we did know.

Just not nice to read it in black and white.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Re: The Degrees that earn the most

Post by Ditzi »

Thanks for posting this paulears, very useful information and yes I agree, very worrying! With ds who wants to study medicine and dd who’s heart is set on performing arts, I feel torn! I’ve always encouraged my children to follow their heart and do what they excel at and think will make them happy, but reading this article doesn’t give me much confidence. All the hard work and money that goes into becoming a performer, makes me wonder if it’s worth it. But then I guess if they didn’t follow their heart, in years to come they will wonder “what if?”. It’s much harder, almost impossible to take the MT route age 30 than it is to study something else (in our case it’s highly unlikely it would be the London School of Economics).
Thalias_Dad
GRAMMY Award

Re: The Degrees that earn the most

Post by Thalias_Dad »

Acting, for the many, may not pay well but to get paid for something you love give you a far better quality of life. My degree is in Law but I turned my back on it when the 18 hour days turned my idea of a dream job into the reality of a nightmare. I now earn a tiny fraction of what I should have been earning at my age but my quality of life is far better and I am a lot healthier. What price can you put on that?