Sass in Dance

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

loueeze
BRIT Award

Sass in Dance

Post by loueeze »

So, something which I find uncomfortable is little girls giving the sass in their dances. It's all very popular on Dance Moms and is creeping into lots of festivals and the younger girls. Some choreography is very sexualised at times and it depends on the adjudicators whether its a big no or they love it.

I know they've got to grow up some time but it doesn't seem right to me to see the pouting, hair flicks etc at such a young age. But how old can they be for it to be acceptable? Is it acceptable in some sections but not others?

My daughter is almost 10, but I'm still not comfortable with the thought of her 'flirting' with the audience. Am I old fashioned and need to get over it?
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Re: Sass in Dance

Post by mouskouri41 »

Hi L :D
No you are not old fashioned I also find it stomach churning!
I am quite glad that "I " doesn't really have an ounce of "sass" and neither is she interested(not right now anyway-hoping this doesn't change overnight!) :shock: :lol:
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

You are not alone,I don't like it neither does my DD. Yuk.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

DS dances but his school don't do festivals. He has a number of very talented friends who go to other dance schools and do festivals. I'm sure the standard of dance is very high, but my god, the photos on Facebook show 8 year olds absolutely caked in make-up, posing as if they were chorus-girls. I think it's grotesque.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Sass is very different to what you are describing which should be described as sexy.

Sass is more about having attitude, "bold and full of spirit" here I am look at me no-one is going to tell me what to do sort of thing. A bit cheeky. I love to see this in young girls dancing. Its a shame that so many dancers and schools mix the two up and go the way of sexy and flirtatious.