TV/Movies - protecting kids in violent scenes

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

paulears
BAFTA Award

TV/Movies - protecting kids in violent scenes

Post by paulears »

I'm trying to help a colleague abroad who is a budding director (but very green) and he's been asking about the best way to direct children in a scene in the movie he's producing. It's quite a nasty scene, the parents have been murdered and the kids find them. I've been trying to explain that our rules here mean we cannot expose kids to this kind of violence - they simply aren't supposed to see it, and the kids are between 5 and 7, so I hate the idea anyway. I've suggested the usual tricks of using camera angles and perhaps planting one of the ADs where the parents would be and then shooting away towards the kids - them acting to the friendly face of the AD, but would welcome any tips on how any of you might have had your children directed when something unpleasant has happened. He's only in his twenties and recently graduated and doesn't seem to have every done any of this stuff.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Re: TV/Movies - protecting kids in violent scenes

Post by biscuitsneeded »

I wouldn't be comfortable with a director who thought it was OK to ask young kids to act that scene, even if they were acting to a friendly face. It's still asking them to imagine unnecessary horror. Sorry, I know that's not what you're asking, but if that scene went ahead as described I would think directors/chaperones/parents were all irresponsible. With a 14/15 year old, maybe, as they are able to place the unlikelihood of such an event in context, but kids of 5 - 7? No way.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

And by the way I am pretty broad-minded!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

You would need to give them an alternative scene to react to rather than the truth; & be terrifically careful about talking abou the plot/advertising the movie

At that age this could be traumatising

Plus if they see the film afterwards or even the advertising for it

Very dodgy imo (child expert not film expert!)
Happydaze23
BRIT Award

Post by Happydaze23 »

This is a really good question though. My 10 year old daughter recently had an audition for a horror feature film where the role she was auditioning for would be incredibly difficult emotionally if she were to get the part. The scene for audition for okay and we haven't got any further in the process as far as I'm aware yet, but it did make me wonder what should I expect if she did get a role like this? How would they protect her emotionally, when from what I could see the whole concept behind her character is pretty disturbing..... her agent didn't seem to think it would be an issue and loads of kids do horror films... but I felt very unsure it was something I could accept.....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Interesting question and answers. Most young people do understand the difference between acting and the real world. However there are many tricks that can be used in these circumstance mostly down to a clever use of camera angles. So POV shots instead of full on face shots, and the reverse being shot in close up without the need to include the subject matter in the shot.
Hope Never Dies....
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

It hadn't occurred to me the Director would have this notion of a kind of wide shot showing the horrible bit but then moving into the kids reactions. It had just not even crossed his mind this kind of thing is out. When I get all the child protection stuff for my shows I do read it, and they really are protected in our country - in fact, some scenes of domestic violence that happen in plays and on TV like the current Coronation Street plots) cannot have kids present as a proper part of the law, and I think we come close sometimes. Sometimes I watch things and wonder how I would manage the kids. Abroad, they don't have our background in many places and they just do what they think best. Plenty of movies where the kids react to nasty scenes, but this is where I assume their acting skills cover for them not seeing the actual bit before.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

But I think a very young child could be traumatised by seeing themselves in perilous/horrific situations even years after the fact (as an adult) & perhaps false memory might become relevent?
newgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by newgirl »

very interesting. Now thinking about this and I can't think of anything I've seen where this happens. In the tv programs/films etc with murder I can't remember seeing kids in the scenes. NOt sure about the legal/licensing issues but I think it isn't happening, for whatever reason.