Over 20+ Playing 14-15 Year Olds

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Over 20+ Playing 14-15 Year Olds

Post by Irishdancer »

When ds got to 16 thought great after 2 years of not getting any thing though great he has had some good things but have found all the big parts seem to be going to 20+ even when in the casting breaf it says don't want to see any one 19 or over. All the big parts DS has gone to for 14-15 year old has gone to actors who are 20+. Don't know if these company's think we don't nottice but a lot of times you see these actors although good actors look no where near 14-15 they make the drama look silly as we all can see that they are no where near that age. You can bet when Ds gets to that age they will start to use younger actors so Ds will miss out as well. Just wondered how many of you who are 16, 17, 18 have notticed the same or any of you parents have notticed this as well.
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Re: Over 20+ Playing 14-15 Year Olds

Post by sapphire »

As the Mum of a 20 year old who only gets castings for younger teen roles I am not complaining but I do know what you mean! Sometimes older actors definitely don't look right for the part but sometimes they do ... here's hoping for some good parts soon for your DS and my DD [-o< [-o< [-o<
thereishope
Nominee

Post by thereishope »

Yes I've found that - in the film 'Spaceship' which is coming out soon they had a 24 year old playing one of the 16 year olds! beneficial if you are actually 20+
esmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by esmum »

A CD was commenting on this at a workshop my daughter attended last year - interestingly, she said that although it may be thought that as the older person had more training, looks just as young and could easily pass for the part - her opinion was that they would not have the same 'thought processes and behaviour' of the younger person, and so in her opinion - an 'older' auditionee who looks younger but is more experienced is not usually 'better'for the part. Food for thought I guess......and depends on content of the project too I suppose :D
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Feel if they look the age not to bad but you can usually tell by the way they hold them self and are more mature, it's when they look no where near the age that they are playing makes the program or film not so believable just spoils the show for me don't know about any thing else.
In4aPenny
GRAMMY Award

Post by In4aPenny »

esmum wrote:A CD was commenting on this at a workshop my daughter attended last year - interestingly, she said that although it may be thought that as the older person had more training, looks just as young and could easily pass for the part - her opinion was that they would not have the same 'thought processes and behaviour' of the younger person, and so in her opinion - an 'older' auditionee who looks younger but is more experienced is not usually 'better'for the part. Food for thought I guess......and depends on content of the project too I suppose :D
Thankfully a CD with some common sense then.