The 'Free people' adverts - dancer uproar!

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

paulears
BAFTA Award

The 'Free people' adverts - dancer uproar!

Post by paulears »

Not sure if any of you picked up on the professional dancer uproar about this advert.
http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/trained-d ... ing-157682
They're really cross about a poorly trained dancer being used in the advert - and for a group of people who don't usually get cross, they're terribly grumpy about it.
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Re: The 'Free people' adverts - dancer uproar!

Post by DanceDiva »

I have been following the furore with interest over various social media outlets.

I did think the model looked a wee bit 'scruffy' and half hearted in her movements which I suppose is how a poorly trained dancer would come across to the untrained eye and its such a shame that a trained dancer couldn't have been chosen.
Its certainly succeeded in brand recognition if only for all the wrong reasons.....clever marketing ? Maybe..... :-k

Mrs Sceptical
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

One of my friends suggested it was deliberately done to get the ad talked about - but that seems a bit risky. Loads seem very concerned with the pointe work and the weird way they were tied, others just cross they used a non-dancer.
woody
BRIT Award

Post by woody »

Imagine the furore if an ad company filmed a commercial featuring a golfer, and used a model whose technique was not up to par (excuse the pun)!

Free People should have known better. The model in the film did her best, but her technique was nowhere near that of a trained ballet dancer, and some of the pointework was downright dangerous for somebody at that level.