Kccp security problems?

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Kccp security problems?

Post by Ditzi »

Hi all, just saw this on twitter, would be interested to hear your thoughts. Have approached kids call pro, but haven't replied. I don't know what to make of it.

@BizzykidzAgency: Those on KCCP they have a major security issue at the moment concerning kids - dont ask me for the details - my answer is..i told you so
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Re: Kccp security problems?

Post by riverdancefan »

The arrogance of that agency never ceases to amaze me
I'm pretty sure we will hear if there is a major security issue.
In the meantime why not just say?... Rather than

"I will
Continue to patronise and talk down to you all "
And I'm sure KCCP will just love having their business slated .. How unprofessional!
They really do have a bee in their bonnet about KCCP don't they !
Last edited by riverdancefan on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
poohstix
BRIT Award

Post by poohstix »

Sadly there is a big security issue with KCCP. As the kids profiles are open to view by any unregistered person a disturbing website found KCCP and copied the link to the KCCP site on their website as a good place to find young actors. Other members of the said site then perused through and copied some childrens profiles onto the website for other members to comment on and then from the credits on their profile found videos on youtube they had made and coped them too.
KCCP are aware and CEOP are now involved and investigating- sadly they are operating on a loophole and havent done anything illegal so the disturbing website can't be shut down. The parents of the children involved have been informed and KCCP are now hastily reviewing there security procedures, this doesnt help with what has already been posted but better late than never I guess.
Tbh though this could just have easily have happened on Starnow (or any other casting site that is open to the public) who don't have their profile setting as private - they have also been informed of what has happened recently. Anyone who has profiles on these websites would highly recommend using the privacy option. Although at the moment KCCP don't have this as an option i'm sure this will soon change x
Kazmama
BRIT Award

Post by Kazmama »

My instant thoughts were exactly the same as riverdancefan's....well more of a here we go again :roll: . If it is true though as poohstix says then that is very worrying and I think it's a disgrace that BK are not sending a message to everyone on their books telling them what's happened and advising getting off KCCP or at least deactivating their DC's profiles until security is sorted..no they choose to say "I told you so" on twitter. Just doesn't sit right with me, if I was an agent and I heard about this I would be very concerned for the kids on my books and telling all the parents, ultimately it would be their choice to stay on KCCP or not but at least warn people with direct information via email not cryptic tweets!
poohstix
BRIT Award

Post by poohstix »

I thought long and hard about replying to the original OP, sadly everyone knows BK have a real bee in there bonnet about KCCP and other casting sites and their previous ongoing tweets about them. Also BK themselves are not highly regarded to say the least by anyone who has a clue about this business so it will probably be blown off as them jumping on the bandwagon of unsubstantiated claims.
However as I know this to be 100% genuine I wanted to put this info out there to other parents so we can all keep our children safe. If anyone chooses to have their childs profile on a site that is open to public viewing (which is a huge number of us, myself included ) please consider at least not having your childs full name. Once information is posted on the internet it is nigh impossible to get it removed, and this can have far reaching ramifications. It is amazing what info about our kids can be found through google, such as what local sports team they play for - totally innocent but should dubious people view a childs profile then they now have their full name, age, where they live and where they could be at the weekend from sports listings (it doesn't then take much to then work out which school they will probably attend). Also any website their name is linked to will come up on a google search - kids love to google their name with their mates. In the unfortunate event of a profile being posted on a dubious site and commented on this will come up on a search and the said child can go directly to the site and see it for themselves - this is horrifying. Obviously the more common the childs name the less likelyhood of finding anything but for those with uncommon names the chances are a lot higher.
It is not my wish to slate KCCP or any other casting site, but I am truly shocked by how easily information can be misused and once it has been we have no control over it.
Last edited by poohstix on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kazmama
BRIT Award

Post by Kazmama »

I agree poohstix, I've asked KCCP to delete my DD's profile and I've changed her starnow profile to hidden, once the membership runs out I'm deleting that too, I'm not taking any chances.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Latest info from KCCP

Important KidsCCP Update - Online Security

The latest update...

Last week, it was brought to our attention that a questionable website was linking to three boys' profiles on KidsCCP.

The site concerned is a forum that operates within a loophole. There are strict rules here about what can and cannot be talked about, and the website remains within legislative bounds.

That said, the content is uncomfortable. KidsCCP is a secure site. We do not share children's contact details, we monitor traffic throughly and we have a set of guidelines which all staff must follow to ensure our members are protected. The issue here is with privacy, and we are making great efforts to consult with authorities and get this information removed.

Last week we were in discussions with CEOP , and have filed a report. We have a direct contact there and, as we're talking about an American site, CEOP will be speaking to their counterparts in the States to try and get the site removed.

We immediately added a block to the site, meaning that everyone who clicks on a link from this site will not be able to access KidsCCP. No profiles are being cloned here, and our tech team rushed to stop these individuals accessing our site. We always monitor new employer profiles, but have increased the frequency of these checks.

The parents of the three boys have been informed, and we've come to arrangements that firmly protect the profiles.

We can understand your concern here, and will answer any further questions that you have, so please don't hesitate to contact site manager Amelia (amelia@kidsccp.com) directly for the quickest answer. We work hard to recognise the potential issues relating to the internet, and security and the protection of young people is at the very heart of what we do.
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Thanks for the information, especially the update from KCCP.

Its a tension, isn't it? Do we 'lock up our children' and restrict their freedoms because there's a small number of bad people out there? Statistically, our kids are far more at risk from people they know and trust than from strangers on the web, but there is something particularly disturbing about strangers, especially those we cant see, isn't there?

I hope CEOP manage to get to the bottom of this one. Meanwhile its a timely reminder to take sensible precautions about our DC's online profiles. And, while we are at it, think through the relationships they are forming with trusted adults in the real world too.

And if you want to know what the internet is saying about your DC, why not set up a Google alert? It will email you whenever something is posted that ranks with Google, containing the key words you want to know about - eg your child's name.

My girls don't have KCCP profiles - we just never got around to it. But this has got me thinking that they don't really need their Star Now profiles either, any more. So I might take those down and save a few quid.

Deb x
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Can I just say - it's easy to over-react and shut everything down that was unlikely to be an issue in the first place.
My cousin is a web developer and site manager, and used to work for Marconi developing their software security and I have often talked to him about this type of thing.

Our children are out there in the WWW, depending on what they have done, work, TV, films, you can google them, if they have been in the local paper, they will be picked up on search and I could cite more examples. People have 50 foot posters of their kids in Mothercare, and children in their underwear and swimwear in catalogues and on clothing sites...little girls in tight leotards and dancewear on stage....and why not?

You don't have their addresses, or school, or pictures of them in the bath I am sure, on their work sites. There is nothing salacious to see.

To me it's a choice , and I have chosen to have my son out there, as a performer , for the public to see. Some of his best work has come via KCCP and Starnow. Of course I police everything as best I can and as he is a child, my phone and email is used, he has no computer in his room unsupervised etc etc. Let's be honest, any site can be hacked, be it our own facebook accounts,or even our agent's sites, if someone is determined enough.
Of course it's an individual decision but it would be a shame if (and I am not saying there IS) an overreaction to this.

And as my child isn't lucky enough to have plenty of work coming in via an agent, I will have to continue relying on these sites to help him to do what he loves.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Dwafffamily
BAFTA Award

Post by Dwafffamily »

100% with Riverdancefan, could not have put it better myself.
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

That's exactly what I would have said RDF (if I was as articulate!) =D> =D> =D>
Kazmama
BRIT Award

Post by Kazmama »

I probably am over reacting, I've just been living in a state of fear of doing the wrong thing when it comes to DD's performing stuff, between her old agent and her stage school I feel like I can't get anything right. Not helped by my husband freaking out when I told him the news, he wanted her off everything (he's been against starnow from day one, every time something sounded ideal for her I'd ask him if I should apply and he was always 'no sounds dodgy').

Great posts riverdancefan and flosmom, puts it into perspective really, it's a bad situation but could easily happen on any site, I just don't know what to do for the best really, I do worry about who might be looking at her on these sites but then what if a great opportunity is missed from not being on there.
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

I just had a fab idea...

We could give our DCs a fake persona to use when they are performing. Of course, they'd need to change the way they look, maybe by wearing a wig? If they keep it a secret - perhaps only share with one special friend that they have another name - then even if they become really famous none of their friends at school will treat them any differently and they can live completely separate on-stage and off-stage lives.

Gosh. I wonder if anyone ever thought of this before? I think I'm going to start calling Flo...something like...Esther Leicester...what do you think? :lol:

Deb x

(Sorry, couldn't rest that. But please don't think that I am making light of safeguarding issues. I know how important it is to keep our kids as safe as we can)
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

RDF

I completely agree with you.

Lots of parents are thrilled to see their children's photos in local papers (quite right too!) - when local shows have been reviewed - or when the Mayor has come to open a fete - or when they have won prizes at school. The children's names - and often the school name and location are often given.

If it's in the press - then it's in the public arena. If it's in the public arena then it's almost certainly on the internet somewhere.

Safeguarding is vital of course and all of us as parents have to be vigilant and educate ourselves and our children. But as Deb says - the dangers that all of us face are normally from people known to us - not from strangers. They are rare dangers, fortunately. I agree that if a predator is armed with knowledge about a child then grooming might be easier - but this knowledge could just as easily (perhaps more easily?) be from local sources as over the internet. My own feeling is that is that it is a parents' responsibility to educate their own children - to help them to recognise dubious contacts and to understand risks (in an age-appropriate way). I'd be much more concerned about teenage facebook and youtube and twitter idiocy (and maybe not only teenage ;) ) and the possible effects on someone's future employment prospects, than having an acting profile with a headshot on it available on a casting site.