Reasons Child Stars Go Crazy

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

geordiegirl
GRAMMY Award

Reasons Child Stars Go Crazy

Post by geordiegirl »

Title of recent article by Mara Wilson. Star of Feature Films such as Matilda, Miracle on 34th Street and Mrs Doubtfire.

Very insightful and thought provoking.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-c ... rspective/
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Re: Reasons Child Stars Go Crazy

Post by Genevieve »

yes I saw the same article in the nationals too -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... crazy.html

seems to be common for these child stars to become alienated from their parents, and their parents losing complete control ! how that happens I wonder, perhaps their pampering and egos and being surrounded by adults they gradually trust more and get closer to, replacing their parents - how scarey.
Mara Wilson's come out the other side intact, but with experiences to share warning of what the industry can do - doesn't act anymore, and looking at her, who would recognise she was the talented cute child from Mrs Doubtfire !
Selina2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Selina2 »

Sadly, I think we can see this has happened to Justin Bieber before our very eyes :(
SNN
BAFTA Award

Post by SNN »

Selina2 wrote:Sadly, I think we can see this has happened to Justin Bieber before our very eyes :(
Poor Justin, he's so crazy that he doesn't even know how to wear a belt. His jeans are always hanging off his bum!
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

SNN wrote:
Selina2 wrote:Sadly, I think we can see this has happened to Justin Bieber before our very eyes :(
Poor Justin, he's so crazy that he doesn't even know how to wear a belt. His jeans are always hanging off his bum!
and then we have another child star Justin...Timberlake, grounded, immensely talented and well-adjusted.

wonder what tips one over the edge and another keeping their feet on the ground...
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

Saoirse Ronan too - seems very grounded and sensible.
SNN
BAFTA Award

Post by SNN »

riverdancefan wrote:
SNN wrote:
and then we have another child star Justin...Timberlake, grounded, immensely talented and well-adjusted.

wonder what tips one over the edge and another keeping their feet on the ground...
Justin Timberlake is definitely a great example of how being child star can rocket you into a hugely successful career as an adult with the help of great and supportive mums (like NAPMers)
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

Then there's Britney - who went right off the rails.
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

Oh yes...Britney lost the plot didn't she...and Miley Cyrus has gone a bit nuts - :? Drew Barrymore has also been through lots of problems, so many child stars, no room to mention them all But another American...Dakota Fanning seems grounded and she really was a huge child star and she's still acting. And Brit, Daniel Radcliffe's had problems with alcohol too I read :shock: :?
And I agree about Sairise Ronan, but she is younger than the child film stars mentioned, so perhaps things are changing, and there's more protection for children in the industry and no doubt down to her parents,and they'd have seen so many child stars ended up with problems.
OddJazzShoes
Nominee

Post by OddJazzShoes »

The most surprising of late is Amanda Bynes. Oh dear :? Apparently she has gone off the rails and cut her parents off. Very odd.
SNN
BAFTA Award

Post by SNN »

OddJazzShoes wrote:The most surprising of late is Amanda Bynes. Oh dear :? Apparently she has gone off the rails and cut her parents off. Very odd.
She got dimple piercings
Horrible hair (then shaved it)
Posts countless disturbing tweets, pictures and videos
I even think she got arrested recently!
It's quite tragic and very fast. She was/is such a funny actor and I love 'The Amanda Show' and 'She's The Man'!
Gatesheadangel
GRAMMY Award

Post by Gatesheadangel »

geordiegirl wrote:Title of recent article by Mara Wilson. Star of Feature Films such as Matilda, Miracle on 34th Street and Mrs Doubtfire.

Very insightful and thought provoking.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-c ... rspective/
Thanks for posting this, a very enjoyable and insightful article. The other day my dc were watching our DVD of 'a simple wish' and I wondered what had become of mara. She comes across very well in her article ( as do her parents).
x_sugarplumfairy_x
GRAMMY Award

Post by x_sugarplumfairy_x »

she does come across well and makes some really good points!, bit scary really! and i wonder if children really will get replaced my CGI!! x