What would you pay?

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

obsteve
GRAMMY Award

What would you pay?

Post by obsteve »

They say every man has his price (and woman too, I imagine).

I came across a service recently, offering to write students essays, for a fee. A 3000-word, 2:1 standard essay from essaywriter.co.uk would set an undergraduate back £362, rising to £1088 for 11am next-day delivery.

It struck me as unfair, but what do you think? Would you pay for your LO to succeed, say to pass an exam, or to get a job?
Click on the image above to go to our website
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Re: What would you pay?

Post by Caroline A-C »

OMG that is outrageous! Mind you, I have to question the student if they really need to get somebody else to write their essay as to whether they should actually be doing that particular course. Certainly seems easy money for whoever has the task of writing the actually essay.
All new to me!
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Interesting! Obviously it's cheating but in the long run they only fool themselves. When I was at Uni (I was a (very) mature student) loads of people asked to copy essays from top students - some let them, some didn't. I do wonder if these writers can guarantee a grade though? Not much point in having someone else write your essay for you only to get an F!
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

Presumably it has a money back guarantee! I'd want one written by someone who got a first though!! :lol: :lol:
begolina
BAFTA Award

Post by begolina »

I think that there is also the risk to be caught to consider and the consequences!!!
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

seriously though, I thought one of the reasons for doing a degree was for the sense of achievement, and knowing you will have the academic ability to cope with a job in your chosen field on leaving university - how does getting someone else to do the essays give you that? I would be appauled if /i thought my children were involved (at either end) in this sort of thing.
obsteve
GRAMMY Award

Post by obsteve »

I agree... but what if you were told your DH could be selected to get a good west end gig if you paid £1088 ?

On the hush, though...

Would you pay it?
Gatesheadangel
GRAMMY Award

Post by Gatesheadangel »

I've seen plenty of shows coming to local theatres where they ask £75-£95 per child to attend 'workshops'. The children then use what they learn in the 'workshops' (ie rehearsals) to appear in the shows, for which, of course, all the relatives then pay significant amounts for the seats. :D
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

francescasmum wrote:seriously though, I thought one of the reasons for doing a degree was for the sense of achievement, and knowing you will have the academic ability to cope with a job in your chosen field on leaving university - how does getting someone else to do the essays give you that? I would be appauled if /i thought my children were involved (at either end) in this sort of thing.
absolutely - you hear also of students paying to have their personal statements written for them, - and as for writing essays !!!! who'd be so stupid, - the tutors at Unis know your writing style and if it doesn't match up to the essay and an investigation ensues, you're out, degree in the bin -
I do know 3rd year Uni students who 'tutor' for a small fee lower year students to help them through written exams, but not doing their essays for them to pass off as their own - If my dcs did/had done this I would go bonkers - the consequences just arn't worth it. If they're being taught a subject, and attending all the lectures and seminars they shouldn't need to cheat ! [-X WIth everything, you should gain rewards on your own merit, your own work - satisfaction too of having worked hard for your results.
Even doing your child's homework in the lower school education years means your dcs won't learn anything and learn to think for themselves and so don't learn basic skills and you won't do them any favours in later life - independent learning is something that's essential at Uni level and early educational years (should) equip them for that. That's why a lot of private school children find Uni difficult, as they (not all) can be somewhat 'spoonfed' in examination style answers for their A levels, and when they get to Uni they find general basic research and independent learning/revision difficult !
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

obsteve wrote:I agree... but what if you were told your DH could be selected to get a good west end gig if you paid £1088 ?

On the hush, though...

Would you pay it?
I wonder how often this actually does go on ? that's a lot of money, and if he wasn't put through on exceptional talent, and got a role over others who were clearly much better, what show would want someone performing in a west end role just because they've coughed up some money ;) sounds no better than the stories of the casting couch ;) =;
nezumi
GRAMMY Award

Post by nezumi »

It's outrageous. I have been asked to do it a few times - write student essays I mean- (I just ignore - the first time I replied and received a mouthful of abuse in response).

The business I run now provides the first stage of research for academics working in a particular area - occasionally I get a taught student request. They're always very obvious - short deadline and using media an academic would never use. I now reply politely and explain they need to get permission from their tutor - (some are allowed to use me, the majority aren't). Occasionally I get a grateful response where someone genuinely didn't realise and I am always happy to point them in the right direction to help them do the work themselves. The usual response however is to beg or offer me more money ](*,) - they seen to find my refusal difficult to understand.

And no I'd never buy my way into anything. Couldn't sleep at night!
obsteve
GRAMMY Award

Post by obsteve »

I have to now confess I have helped my daughter "quite a bit" with her maths homework - but only because she brought it out of her bag 10 minutes before going to school...
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

obsteve wrote:I have to now confess I have helped my daughter "quite a bit" with her maths homework - but only because she brought it out of her bag 10 minutes before going to school...
I did that...once. It's too embarrassing when I get it wrong. She is in Year 6. I'm an accountant :oops:

Deb x