What do you look for?

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

pg
OSCAR Award

What do you look for?

Post by pg »

If you see a performance "opportunity" or even <gasp> a job, what do you look for? Do you have a set of criteria you apply? Are there things that would put you off? What would you consider to be red flags that make you cynical or suspicious. What would particularly attract you? Do you apply for everything you see?

If you were writing a job description/casting breakdown what would you include?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: What do you look for?

Post by islandofsodor »

For adults or children?
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Either, really. I just wondered what information people needed before deciding whether to apply for things - and also, I suppose whether people just applied to things whether or not they knew much about the project thinking that they would find out later.
begolina
BAFTA Award

Post by begolina »

I look in this order:
1. age and breakdown: must be something I know my children would be comfortable with, they are not professional actors so I would make it enjoyable for them doing something I know it is in their reach;
2. location: for no/low budget film I am not going further then a London tube run;
3. previous work/experience of the director: my children have done already a couple of student's film, it was very important to do it but now I wouldn't take time off from their normal activities/homework if not for higher quality work. Not necessarily big budget feature film, but from previous works uploaded in internet you can see his/her standards (a professional director has at least a couple of videos if not even a personal Vimeo or Youtube channel). I really try to know as much as possible of the people involved initially, more then the project itself, for the principle that the apple doesn't fall far from the three;
5. timing: after all that I check the dates and if I really like the project start to work out solutions;
6. apply and get as much as possible I can about the project and get excited because actually they are a good bunch of professionals and it might come out something good.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

1. First thing I look for is does dd fit the criteria

2. Next who is doing it. We're not interested in stage school/agencies in disguise. She already attends excellent classes. Also do they seem the sort if people we'd want her to be in contact with.

3 type of work & location. Dd is prepared to travel for theatre but not for student films/commercials.

4. Content. Badly written breakdowns with adult founding content don't inspire confidence. Breakdown needs to be articulate or it gives the impression the script won't be.

5. Dates. Can it fit into our schedule.
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

I assume you're asking about listings on sites like Star Now?

i agree with all the previous postings.

Then there's the quality check on the listing. Is it spelled correctly? Do they appear to understand the realities of working with kids (eg licensing, safeguarding)? Do they sound genuine or is there an aura of over-selling and unreality to the whole thing?

Are they paying a reasonable fee and/or covering expenses?

Is the schedule reasonable? 'We're shooting a complex screenplay in two days over next weekend' doesn't fill us with deep joy.

And - the big one - like begolina says - it has to look like it'd be fun for them to do. Over the Xmas hols, little DD got to act with a rabbit. Now that's the sort of thing that makes her heart go pitty-pat :lol:

Ultimately, if its relatively easy to apply, I may well put them forward, if its hard work (lots of clicking on different websites etc) I would probably not bother. At the next stage, when we know more about the production and the hoops we're expected to jump through, we may well say no thank you.

Does that help?

Deb x
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Thank you for responding. It's just curiosity really. It's reassuring! I'm not really surprised that you (i.e. regular posters with experience and common sense) have responded in this way but I don't think everyone is this circumspect.

Maybe parents are more cautious (sensible!?) than individual actors.

I am a member of a facebook forum for actors - supposedly all professionals - and someone posted the Starnow job for the horse-riding princess viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19099. This was so we could all have a good laugh and someone linked to professionally resting's splendid blog, but there was more than one actor who asked what was wrong with it and had been intending to apply. If someone can't spot or doesn't want to avoid something as crass as this one - what hope is there?
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Ahh...so it was a spoof after all! Well done!

It wouldn't have popped up on our list of possibles because of the age range specified for the princess. But just in case you do decide to shoot (and yes, I have seen Argo...) Pandy is a competent rider and we can summon up a horse - if not an actual unicorn - at very short notice :lol:

To be honest, if it wasn't for the blog I would probably have lost the will to live before getting to the end of the listing, so the chances of summoning the energy to click on the 'apply' button are pretty slim.

Don't forget to invite us to the premier, which we fully expect you to host, in person, in Los Angeles, with free travel and hospitality for all your entourage, courtesy of your sponsors, once the film is complete. ;)

Deb x
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Ooh. No. Hang on. I'm really confused now. :? :shock: :lol:

Maybe the horse-riding princess posting on Starnow IS a spoof, but I wasn't declaring it to be one. It ought to be one. Do you think it is?

I mean someone pasted it/copied it on to the facebook forum for us to mock (horrid lot that we are) - not that someone on the forum actually made it up and then put it on Starnow.

What I meant was (though I'm probably confusing you as much as I'm confusing myself) is that if "professional" actors want to apply for opportunities like the horse-riding princess, even though it appears to be written by an arrogant and ignorant person with delusions of grandeur and no idea about filming, then gawd help the industry.

I thought it was a real posting <whispers> still think it is? - but not the sort that anyone should apply for. Sadly some people will...

clear as mud?

probably time for bed...
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Crumbs...so it's not a spoof...back to being scary then!

We'll pop the unicorn back in the stable and recall the emails to Gucci suggesting that they might want to style us for the premiere :lol:

Deb x
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

See you on the red carpet one day perhaps. Have you got your "mother of the oscar winner" speech prepared yet?
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

pg wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

See you on the red carpet one day perhaps. Have you got your "mother of the oscar winner" speech prepared yet?
I don't expect much - just to be thanked profusely, emotionally and at length from the podium by my DDs who will, by then, have named their offspring after fruit. :lol:

Deb x
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

I also hope to be thanked profusely, and am already planning my 'mother of the oscar winner' dress (and facelift) :D
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Same as others about distance and if ds is the right age group and size no good if they are asking for a larg 15 year old as ds is thin I know some people think if they see my child then will change there minds but no they won't Also after ds got some thing from KCCP said payment £50 but no extra for rehearsal no travel expenses for that, then found out they would pay ds train fair to shoot but not mine which was much dearer so in end was out of pocket. Then tried to get a copy of film they kept putting us of but then just before Christmas got email saying to get copy's for family at £8.90 ds only had a small part so did not bother with don't think many did as I keep getting emails about it. So would try and get some sort of contract to say we would get free DVD of short film. These film makers make me laugh must of us let are DC do these for experience or to try and update there showreels, these directors think that we should be grateful they let are DC be in there film contact you all the time when needed but afterwords when you contact them don't hear from them again
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Irishdancer wrote:these directors think that we should be grateful they let are DC be in there film
Don't they just! (Some of them are lovely of course)

For unpaid work I think the attitude of the person/people looking for performers was probably the thing that put me off or encouraged me the most. If it seemed well organised, steered clear of hyperbole, gave a clear idea of what they were looking for and planning for,told me something about their experience, then I would be much more inclined to consider it. Anyone who suggested that it was going to lead to stardom got the thumbs down immediately.

I've always found the paid jobs were the ones where I've received the most courtesy and consideration - even the most thanks. I didn't need the thanks as they paid me :D . But it helps oil the wheels.
JTBmum wrote:I also hope to be thanked profusely, and am already planning my 'mother of the oscar winner' dress (and facelift) :D
I hope I get enough advance notice to go on a diet...