Concerning the balance of school over working

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

whateverlife
BRIT Award

Concerning the balance of school over working

Post by whateverlife »

Hello!

I know that a lot of parents have inevitably gone through the torment of balancing school with working. Some of you may have chosen one or the other.

I know for those of you who think it would be best to stick with school, this is a heartbreaking descision for you and your dd/ds. It can often feel as though (especially to the dd/ds) that if you dont get started NOW then your chances are ruined forever! You may have just got with an agent, and come to realise that the amount of traveling to and from auitions, is tough enough on your school life, and then actually getting the part makes keeeping up with school all the more difficult. This is when a lot of parents pull the plug, and the kids feel betrayed/ dreams shattered, etc.
I was one of those kids. I have been accepted by different agencies 3 TIMES, each time having to pull out because of the threat it posed to my education. The first time was waiting for my GCSE's to finish, then thinking that i would have all the time in the world in my first year of 6th form, then realising that A levels are hard and pulling out again.

What i am trying to say is, is that it really is not the end of the world, if this happens. And you can get back on the road after school has finished, and you have achieved your qualifications. Presumably, a lot of dd/ds's will have had experience, making it a hell of a lot easier to get with an agent later on. 18 year olds, are extremely popular with agents. They are more likely to take risk for an 18 year old, and you are more likely to get a more competent agent when you re 17/18 than when you are 12. (SOMETIMES)
I have dedicated myself to my A levels, whilst managing to ask my current agent to wait until i'd finished my exams. I now have an agent waiting for me.
I am so, so happy that my mother stopped me from leaving school at 16, or concentrating on auditions from age 13, and making me stay in school and do it properly, because now i feel far more in control of my own life, and far more confident to face 'the real world'
I just wanted to assure parents who decide to take this route, that they will be grateful to you, and they will understand, even though they may be broken hearted for a small time

I am not in anyway condemning those who have children who work/audition simultaneously to attending school, but for some parents that isn't an option, and the choice can be a hard thing to swallow.

I wanted to make this post because i joined this site when I was 13, and i am now 18, and NAPM helped me to make good contacts, get experience and helped me and my mother make the choice that lead to where I am today.

Good luck to everyone. :D
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Re: Concerning the balance of school over working

Post by Hecouldshine »

What a fantastically helpful post whateverlife. And really good to hear from you as you don't seem to have been on here for ages. Good Luck to you now with the agent you have waiting, and THANK YOU for posting. I think it should be a sticky =D> =D> =D>
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
whateverlife
BRIT Award

Post by whateverlife »

Thank you Hecouldshine! I know i've been neglecting this site, partly BECAUSE i've been concentrating on my school work and didn't want to tempt myself on this site! Ha ha.
x
debmag
BRIT Award

Post by debmag »

An excellent post...thankyou =D>
My dd is 13yrs old & academic but also a talented performer so getting the balance right is so difficult sometimes! We have decided on not getting her an agent yet & encouraging her to work hard at school & look fairly locally for auditions, or to look for the ones that are mostly in school holidays...its working well for us at the mo.
Your post is really helpful so a big thankyou :D
I do understand though that this route isn't right for everyone & as a parent you know what is best for your own child/ren.
Good luck with everything, hope you end up where you want in life.
Debs x
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

Thanks for posting this whateverlife. My ds is Year 10 and has had a very busy year with two leading roles (one at school , one outside) and it has been very hard to juggle everything with GCSEs. However, the shows he has done have been useful for his Performing Arts Portfolio so he has killed two birds with one stone so to speak. Next year he will not be doing any big shows. Thankfully he is hard working and enjoys it all so much that he has managed to do well at school too. I agree with you that there is no need to rush. My eldest, ds who is not a performer, is just about to complete the IB and we have found that it is not two years at Sixth Form (so you are right about Sixth Form being hard and over quickly). I am a great believer of life letting you know what your options are and so we have chosen the option of taking it as it comes. We wish you well as you take up with your Agent. \:D/ \:D/ I am sure it has been worth all the hard work and the wait \:D/ \:D/
charlotterose
BRIT Award

Post by charlotterose »

That is a fantastic post! I completely understand!
I am doing my GCSE's at the moment and so I am not doing much acting really at the moment, and I miss it so much, especially when oppertunities come up and I can't accept them! It does sometimes feel like you are running out of time, in a way!
However, like you, I am glad that I am staying at school next year and not going straight into acting as is it full of uncertainty and I don't think I am confinant enough to take it on as my main priority yet. I do still dop jobs etc out of school time, and I believe that that is the right choice! :D
~Acting demands everything.If you don’t give it everything,there will be someone behind you who will~
www.youtube.com/charlotteroseog