How long to hear

Chat with new friends about anything

Moderator: busybusybusy

George'smum
BRIT Award

How long to hear

Post by George'smum » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:53 pm

Hi all, I just wondered what’s the longest your child has been kept waiting to hear on the outcome of an audition? I’m talking more about the ones where it’s the final round & they say they will definitely email/call with an outcome rather than commercials. Also interested to know if anyone has felt the benefit of some casting directors promising a yes/no? Lastly, what do you think are the best ways to let kids know the outcome? Anyone prefer Jo’s letters to emails the next day?

Pandora II
GRAMMY Award

Re: How long to hear

Post by Pandora II » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:43 pm

3.5 weeks and after 8 rounds... we knew DD was in the final 2.

Early rounds I like to know then and there, later rounds just something reasonably speedy. DD bounces fast.

What I hate are cuts where they try and pretend it’s not a cut. That is just confusing and leaves you in limbo. I’d rather deal with 5 mins of tears than days of second guessing.

FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:48 am

Well, DS got to finals for a theatre production 12+ months ago and we've never received an outcome (though knew it was a no after about a month when offers had been and gone). He's also received a no (and lovely feedback) out of the blue 6 weeks after the first round of a major feature film audition, long after we'd written it off. I normally get twitchy about 2 weeks after a final and ask DS's agent to check, just so we know where we stand.

DS has also had a yes, followed 2 weeks later by a no because the production decided they needed to change the role spec and withdrew their offer. Under the circumstances I think DS would have preferred a longer wait and a straight no, rather than thinking he had the part and then finding he didn't!

I do appreciate it when casting directors communicate an outcome either way. I find it very helpful to get a firm no - you can draw a line under it and not wonder about potential conflicts when new auditions come up. Fortunately DS is pretty resilient and tends to look ahead to the next opportunity.

Fuji11547
BRIT Award

Post by Fuji11547 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:41 am

You probably read or heard it before: the best thing is to forget about the auditions as soon as possible and carry on with your life as if nothing happened. Then there will be no such a thing as "waiting". ALSO, even if you hear "yes", be skeptical about it and only believe it is a "yes" after you sign a contract. ALSO, in the commercials industry, you can only relax once it has been aired. It could easily happen you got the job, your child went filming but the client went bankrupt and can't afford broadcasting (as it is ridiculously expensive). It is show BUSINESS after all.

RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:27 am

Definitely prefer emails. At least you're at home and can console kid in private. Even if said kid has a yes, with a letter, you're surrounded by sad kids who haven't. Though I suppose you learn how brutal this business is very quickly.

Oh and absolutely understand the offer given and then taken away. Ds offered a part in a film, night before filming got a call to say director had decided not to use him and others. Then said director changed his mind and they filmed. I heard of two kids on the same film who sat in costume on set for two days but never filmed.

And the final insult where Ds rehearsed play for over a month then they cancelled the tour. Theatres all over the country had to fill the empty weeks where they were supposed to have performed.

We've been pretty lucky with hearing back from CDs. However, I also tend to politely ask agent after two weeks if we haven't heard, just so we can put it to bed.