Help please!! - newbie advice

Chat with new friends about anything

Moderator: busybusybusy

Carmelca22
Nominee

Help please!! - newbie advice

Postby Carmelca22 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi !
Nervous as it's the first time I've posted! Sorry, I'm totally new to all this.

I have a performing DD of 11 (trained on and off since age 5/6) who has only done amateur work so far... (a conscious decision on our part not to apply to agencies when people suggested it - I just felt nervous about the whole thing).

Since the age of about two she has been a quick-witted, hyperactive goofball - the kind of child you see on Disney comedy just playing themselves. Then it became clear she could act and dance but her biggest thing is singing. Not classical / choral (she struggles with sight singing) - MT to a certain extent but actually mostly pop / dance / RnB. She sings covers of everything from Adele to Hailey Steinfeld. Practically note perfect. I have no idea what to do with her. She has done a couple of local Open Mics, wants to busk!! I realise now that she probably should have tried for West End years ago (she's now 5 foot) as she could probably have done it and we are close enough to London.

We are applying to agencies now (I feel it's unfair to hold her back as she is older now and really wants to do it) but I am hesitant because she is in a very academic school and even if we were lucky enough to get something, I wouldn't want her to miss school auditioning for things like modelling or tv commercials which she probably wouldn't even get. A real acting job would be another matter - I would fight the school on that one!

Is an agency the right route? She has also said she wants to do Voice Kids - again I am not sure... grateful for any suggestions / advice! Has anyone got a child like this? Help!!

Moosmum
BRIT Award

Re: Help please!! - newbie advice

Postby Moosmum » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi and welcome :) we are new to all this but from experience all agencies will expect you to go to any auditions they set up,mostly with about 24 hrs notice,sometimes less. A lot of these are after school hours but obvs depends where it is held in terms of travel etc. Having said that there are certain agencies that will send for everything inc commercials,others tend to avoid commercials etc and go for the bigger stuff. A lot of first round auditions so to speak,are done via self tape though now. It is very full on and you do have to be 100% committed as not many agencies will allow you to pick and chose which roles to go for. I know a lot of casting directors prefer to cast older kids to play down the role rather than casting a younger child due to licensing laws etc. My dd is 8 and we have been very busy with self tapes since she signed a few months ago,she loves it though. Parent wise it is very time consuming. We are fortunate to have a very laid back school who are happy to support the kids. It can’t hurt to try if she really wants to go for it :) you can always decide to skip a few years for training if it isn’t what you expect:) feel free to pm me,I’ll admit I don’t have much experience haha,it’s been a massive learning curve for us xx

Carmelca22
Nominee

Postby Carmelca22 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi Moosmum, thank you, that's really helpful. :) I kind of suspected it would be full on and we couldn't turn things down... or maybe we go for the agencies that don't do tvcs but I'm guessing they are the most difficult to get into!!! I think I might wait until an agent offers to take her on (which might never happen, of course!) and then have a word with the school to see what they say. I didn't know about the self-taping thing - might make things easier!
Congrats to your dd, sounds like she's doing brilliantly! Did she have professional experience before she got signed?
xx

Moosmum
BRIT Award

Postby Moosmum » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:57 pm

I think school had to have a valid reason to turn them down legally,ie bad grades etc or attendance issues so school shouldn’t be an issue even if they do get in a huff :) my dd had no experience really,she had been with a stage school for a few months but obvs the training for tv and stage are very different,that took some getting used to for dd and is still very much a work in progress. She auditioned for quite a few agencies,a lot of the bigger ones I was put off by,due to the sheer amount of clients they had. Also went for some smaller London ones and could happily have walked out of one of them had dd not been insistent she wanted to try haha. It’s a very personal thing with agents,what works for some won’t for others. I found some wanted kids they could mould into what they wanted and others celebrated individuality. The smaller London one I honestly felt I would have been selling her soul to the devil and was ready to throw the towel in until someone suggested our current agency. I have to say they are a breath of fresh air! Very approachable, honest and although we have been busy with tapes they are all for decent roles. You will find a lot of the agencies get the chance to submit for the same roles so effectively kids will get the same chances whoever they are with,but for me I knew we needed an agency who we were comfortable with. We also got offers from some agencies who didn’t even ask to meet or see tapes of my dd so I was say avoid those haha! It’s a stressful time finding the right one, I was shocked my dd got offers so quick but there are of course still ones that turn you down. Competition is fierce and we are yet to secure a job but all in all I think it is doing wonders for my dd. She is learning to work hard and accept defeat which makes her push harder :) x

Return to “General Conversations”