Agent Saying That DS Is Not Allowed To Do Any Thing With Out Her Permision

Chat with new friends about anything

Moderator: busybusybusy

Golferboy mum
Nominee

Agent Saying That DS Is Not Allowed To Do Any Thing With Out Her Permision

Postby Golferboy mum » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:21 pm

DS has been with a new agent for about 5 months, it had been very quite for about 2 months so DS looked on Mandy to see if there was any thing saw some thing for 2 days £250 a day he put himself forward got the part filmed 2 days this means he has the money to pay for Spotlight as he was broke. Agent found out went mad been with other agents and did not react like this. This is a newish agent not been going very long. Has any one else had there agent react like this. DS though it would be good to be able to put some more on his CV.

Moosmum
BRIT Award

Re: Agent Saying That DS Is Not Allowed To Do Any Thing With Out Her Permision

Postby Moosmum » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:52 pm

I think it can depend on agency, some are sole agencies and only want you to go through them, others are happy to let you find your own independent work even if they are sole. Our agency is really friendly and easy to talk to and they told us what’s what before we signed with them. However when we were looking for an agent we found a lot to be very rude and abrupt.Some even went as far as talking down about other agencies and story telling on previous clients :/ this was a supposedly reputable agency too. I’d have a look over your paperwork from signing and see what it states. I’d be tempted to say something about their attitude too as no matter what their rules are there are the right and wrong way to talk to people :) hope you get sorted x

Brighterthanstars
BRIT Award

Postby Brighterthanstars » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:48 pm

Don't know about anyone else but in my contract it states that I must refer any requests to my agent to deal with. I guess otherwise they could be making far less money if all their clients start doing this and they're still putting in work for us even when we don't land a role. Hope that makes sense :? :)
If you think that you're too small to make an impact, try sleeping with a mosquito in the room.

RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Postby RoseTowers4 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:21 pm

One agency we used to be with went mad when I asked about ds doing an audition. He wasn't in the agency but attended the dance school. His sister was in the school and the agency. They retaliated by throwing my dd out of the agency, and both kids out of the school. So glad we're not there anymore. :D
Last edited by RoseTowers4 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moosmum
BRIT Award

Postby Moosmum » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Oh my life that’s terrible!! Good riddance to them I say xx

fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Postby fartoomuchtodo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:58 am

DS's agent is happy for him to put himself forward for work of any kind (open auditions, local stuff etc). HOWEVER, if he got the job they'd want their percentage. I have to say I think this is only fair. After all, while he's doing work found privately he can't do anything found through them (if you get what I mean). Plus, agents do lots of work submitting clients, talking to CDs etc which, if nothing comes of it, earns them nothing. I am NOT an agent BTW ;)

ScoobyDoo
GRAMMY Award

Postby ScoobyDoo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:55 am

Agreed fartoomuchtodo - I think it is only right that agents get their cut of everything as they do so much 'unpaid' work. Any agent we have had has always been happy for us to source extra work, because anything that makes the child more experienced and more 'marketable' (sorry horrible word) means it is easier for them to do their jobs. RoseTowers4 your experience sounds shocking! So short-sighted. That attitude would make me run for the hills as it would make it very obvious that they were not interested in doing the best for the child, only in the money.

RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Postby RoseTowers4 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Agreed Moosmum and ScoobyDoo. The sad thing is that I would have gone through the agency anyway. I was only making inquiries! :-s
We're with a brilliant agency now and it's all in the past. :D

Golferboy mum
Nominee

Postby Golferboy mum » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:26 pm

The trouble is DS dose promo work at weekends but agent said that she dose not think he is interested in acting as if they call him up on a Saturday morning for casting and can not do it as needs the money to be able to go to castings, he did once ask to go on lunch hour but it turned out to be 3 hours and been told he can't do it again or will get the sack he needs the money. She then said not to worry about Spotlight money he was going to pay for with the money she said if she dropped him he would not be able to stay on Spotlight. I thought that you could be on Spotlight in between getting another agent

ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Postby ACookie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:54 pm

If I understand correctly, to be honest this sounds quite reasonable of the agent. Your son can't expect to take work without giving commission to his agent, and then not be available to go to castings that the agent has set up for him. What is the point of the agent trying to represent him if this happens too often? I would suggest he tries to find a more flexible part time job that allows him to earn when he needs it, but also allows him to go to castings if the agent secures them. Any jobs on Mandy, I would always put through the agent anyway as a matter of courtesy. I think you may have a better relationship with the agent if you do this. The agent only gets paid when your son secures work, if he keeps turning down opportunities provided by them the agent is not earning. Plus it makes the agency look unreliable to casting directors which can damage their reputation.

Return to “General Conversations”