Italia Conti

heard a rumor or got some gossip?

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:19 am

Italia Conti

Post by lawn » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:43 am

Daily Mail reporting that there's been financial issues and a family feud at this school.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... chool.html

Pandora II
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:58 pm

Re: Italia Conti

Post by Pandora II » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:46 am

Yikes - that doesn't sound good. Imagine there will be a lot of very unhappy parents if they move the school to Egham.

ScoobyDoo
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:06 pm

Re: Italia Conti

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:44 pm

Although there might be lots of happy parents who could access it who do not live in London.... :)

User avatar
MelFH
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Re: Italia Conti

Post by MelFH » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:54 pm

Pandora II wrote:Yikes - that doesn't sound good. Imagine there will be a lot of very unhappy parents if they move the school to Egham.
Why would it be Egham? Id there already an Italia Conti there, or did I miss it in the article?
I am panicking as ds has a scholarship to go in September, and we are working out the logistics based on the Barbican site.

User avatar
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award
Posts: 2130
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Italia Conti

Post by riverdancefan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:52 pm

There have been rumours and accusations for months.
Houston there is definitely a problem at the Barbican site.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE

lawn
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:19 am

Re: Italia Conti

Post by lawn » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:18 pm

MelFH wrote:
Pandora II wrote:Yikes - that doesn't sound good. Imagine there will be a lot of very unhappy parents if they move the school to Egham.
Why would it be Egham? Id there already an Italia Conti there, or did I miss it in the article?
I am panicking as ds has a scholarship to go in September, and we are working out the logistics based on the Barbican site.
From the article.

'Mr Sheward is angry at his sisters for pulling out of a plan for relocation to Egham, Surrey, which, he says, would have secured the school’s future. The sisters say the relocation was unaffordable.'

Pandora II
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:58 pm

Re: Italia Conti

Post by Pandora II » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:30 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:Although there might be lots of happy parents who could access it who do not live in London.... :)
For the future that is true - but doesn't help those with children currently at or about to go to the school who have based their choice round the logistics needed to get there. Would imagine a lot would leave which wouldn't help viability.

User avatar
MelFH
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Re: Italia Conti

Post by MelFH » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:49 pm

lawn wrote:
MelFH wrote:
Pandora II wrote:Yikes - that doesn't sound good. Imagine there will be a lot of very unhappy parents if they move the school to Egham.
Why would it be Egham? Id there already an Italia Conti there, or did I miss it in the article?
I am panicking as ds has a scholarship to go in September, and we are working out the logistics based on the Barbican site.
From the article.

'Mr Sheward is angry at his sisters for pulling out of a plan for relocation to Egham, Surrey, which, he says, would have secured the school’s future. The sisters say the relocation was unaffordable.'
Thankyou, I had missed that in my panic. Sorry.

lawn
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:19 am

Re: Italia Conti

Post by lawn » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:52 pm

MelFH wrote:
lawn wrote:
MelFH wrote: Why would it be Egham? Id there already an Italia Conti there, or did I miss it in the article?
I am panicking as ds has a scholarship to go in September, and we are working out the logistics based on the Barbican site.
From the article.

'Mr Sheward is angry at his sisters for pulling out of a plan for relocation to Egham, Surrey, which, he says, would have secured the school’s future. The sisters say the relocation was unaffordable.'
Thankyou, I had missed that in my panic. Sorry.
None of the other news had picked up on the story. I purely came across it during my last night's insomnia! I don't know what to suggest, other than maybe see if you can find out more.

Hilltop
BRIT Award
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Italia Conti

Post by Hilltop » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:02 pm

The Stage has a less sensationalist news article on it: https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2018/br ... london-hq/

MaddyMoo17
Nominee
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:39 am

Re: Italia Conti

Post by MaddyMoo17 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 am

I searched to see if anyone was discussing this as my daughter has a been awarded a scholarship and is due to start in September. I am now quite panicked as despite the Daily Mail not being the most reliable of sources news doesn’t come from nothing! We have yet to turn down her place at our local school and now I’m pleased we haven’t as need to see how this pans out. We too have based our plans on the Barbican site and logistics is the exact reason why we did not apply to Sylvia Young.

lawn
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:19 am

Re: Italia Conti

Post by lawn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:04 pm

MaddyMoo17 wrote:I searched to see if anyone was discussing this as my daughter has a been awarded a scholarship and is due to start in September. I am now quite panicked as despite the Daily Mail not being the most reliable of sources news doesn’t come from nothing! We have yet to turn down her place at our local school and now I’m pleased we haven’t as need to see how this pans out. We too have based our plans on the Barbican site and logistics is the exact reason why we did not apply to Sylvia Young.
This is why I posted it in the 'rumour and gossip' forum, as I haven't seen the news elsewhere. The stage tells me I've had my quota of free reads this month, so I haven't been able to read that link. :oops: The school should be assuring parents and keeping them informed.

Hilltop
BRIT Award
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Italia Conti

Post by Hilltop » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:12 pm

The Stage article said this:
Drama school Italia Conti Academy is considering a sale of its principal central London premises.

The academy, which is often said to be Britain’s oldest stage school, has had a base at Goswell Road, near the Barbican Centre, since 1981. The school has multiple sites, but Goswell Road is its principal home and where both the Italia Conti Academy and Italia Conti Juniors strands of its training are now based.

However, it is understood that it is looking to find larger premises as it continues to expand.

Nothing has been confirmed, and the school could yet decide to stay where it is and modify its existing premises.

According to estate agent Lambert Smith Hampton, which is consulting with Italia Conti on a potential sale, the site could be listed later this year. However, no timetable has yet been fixed.

Glyn Lloyd, who has been consulted on both a sale and move to new premises, said the school was currently in the process of shortlisting potential sites and looking at its options.

He said that the Goswell Road site could be listed for sale within the next three to six months, but that a schedule for a planned move had not been currently been fixed.

“We are shortlisting sites at the moment and once we get a viability schedule together we can look to start thinking about the disposal of Goswell Road,” he added.

He said a sale and move to new premises would have to be planned around the needs of the school and its academic timetabling. Lloyd said a new location within zones one, two or three in London would be most likely, but that Italia could also consider modifying its existing premises.

Italia Conti declined to comment.

User avatar
MelFH
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Re: Italia Conti

Post by MelFH » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:46 pm

MaddyMoo17 wrote:I searched to see if anyone was discussing this as my daughter has a been awarded a scholarship and is due to start in September. I am now quite panicked as despite the Daily Mail not being the most reliable of sources news doesn’t come from nothing! We have yet to turn down her place at our local school and now I’m pleased we haven’t as need to see how this pans out. We too have based our plans on the Barbican site and logistics is the exact reason why we did not apply to Sylvia Young.
Hi,
We are in the same position. Are you going to contact them for clarification? I am very worried.

MaddyMoo17
Nominee
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:39 am

Re: Italia Conti

Post by MaddyMoo17 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:34 am

MelFH wrote:
MaddyMoo17 wrote:I searched to see if anyone was discussing this as my daughter has a been awarded a scholarship and is due to start in September. I am now quite panicked as despite the Daily Mail not being the most reliable of sources news doesn’t come from nothing! We have yet to turn down her place at our local school and now I’m pleased we haven’t as need to see how this pans out. We too have based our plans on the Barbican site and logistics is the exact reason why we did not apply to Sylvia Young.
Hi,
We are in the same position. Are you going to contact them for clarification? I am very worried.

My husband said to give it time for them to respond. I have inboxed you though xx

Post Reply