School of rock musical

heard a rumor or got some gossip?

Moderator: busybusybusy

Julie
BRIT Award

School of rock musical

Post by Julie »

This opens on Broadway soon - anyone heard if/when it will transfer to London ?
Thanksx
Julie
BRIT Award

Re: School of rock musical

Post by Julie »

It's reported that ALW told the New York post that it will play London after New York...
So I guess we all watch and wait. Lol
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

This is on my dd's all time wish list. She would love for the role of the drummer to be a 12 year old girl!!!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

We have just come back from NYC and stayed near Broadway. We had a nose at the theatre and hung around a bit to see if we could see anything going on,there wasn't. Gutted we missed out by a few days.Not sure what to think about it. I know that ALW has said that the laws with kids performing are more relaxed in the US.
We have family there who are going to see it and no doubt will let us know!
swanny
GRAMMY Award

Post by swanny »

sounds really interesting. Would be great to know what kids roles are required.
I'm swanning around trying to get the hang of all this! Thanks for your help!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

There are about 13 roles for children in School of Rock,I know that some have to play drums,guitar,maybe more?
We saw Les Mis or Les Miz as they like to say and the girl playing Little Cosette did a Mon,Weds,Fri ,Sunday and played Young Eponine on the other days and vice versa.No idea how they manage School of Rock there must be two casts?
swanny
GRAMMY Award

Post by swanny »

Thanks
Sounds like the kids in Les Mis don't get a break?!
How old are the children they use in School of Rock? Any news on when it will come to the UK
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

I think the kids in the US are allowed not to share roles. I'm sure when this was announced Andrew Lloyd Webber said he was taking it to Broadway rather than the West End for that reason. Of course I wish them every success, but I am wondering what they'll do when the children get ill, injured, exhausted. I know from DS's experience that even sharing roles is tiring when they have to do school as well, so I can't imagine how they'll cope full-time, but I know Matilda there a smaller cast - with child swings, I think - so perhaps they'll be fine.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

I may be wrong, but I thought in the US, the production company took over the education - providing teachers for the kids, so they don't have to go to their usual school - like home tutoring. A few years ago, as I'm an ex-teacher, to get her children out of school two weeks early at christmas, the star of the show had to arrange private tutoring - which I did for her two kids. The school provided the work that they were going to miss, and I did the classes - I think they had to do 3 hours every day for the extra two weeks. They weren't in the show - just having time off, and I'm sure she told me that this system was used on Broadway for the shows with kids?
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

Yes, I think that's true, paulears, but even if the kids don't have to go to their usual school, they still have to spend time on schoolwork as well as doing eight shows a week.
swanny
GRAMMY Award

Post by swanny »

But the point is they are not adults are they and so 6 nights and 2 matinees a week - week after week for 6 months to a year is just too much. Even with 3 casts and sharing it - and being on standby on your off days for 6 months to a year is a lot. So they are performers but they are kids too and need to have consideration for that. I am glad we live in the UK
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

I cannot imagine how a child could survive that for 6 months, let alone a year! My son is sharing a role at the moment and it is exhausting, even doing a third - I am shocked they are allowed to do the whole lot, however could there be time for schooling too? I do hope it comes over here!
crystal_owl
BRIT Award

Post by crystal_owl »

I noticed this when I saw The Addams Family on Broadway - Wednesday is an adult, but Pugsley is still a child (approx 12 years old I think?) and was played by the same boy in every performance. He had an understudy for occasional cover (as the adults did) but the role was not regularly rotated. He played the part for a very long time too - he must have been exhausted! They do have three Matildas on Broadway though - is this because it's an RSC-owned show or is it at the producer's discretion?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

http://schoolofrockthemusical.com/ link to the official website including an auditions page.
Have a nice day! (To be read in an American accent for full effect)
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

Jo Hawes will be casting for this and looking for kiddies nationally. So far no mention of the usual London-only rule.