shrek tour

heard a rumor or got some gossip?

Moderator: busybusybusy

Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Re: shrek tour

Post by Flosmom »

We're never happy, are we?

We get outraged by the big open auditions that have hopefuls queuing round the block, but we get outraged when the CD decides to limit the pool too. I'm sure that, amongst the numbers that are on Stage Coach's books, they'll find enough brilliant Young Fionas, so it'll work for them from that point of view.

There are other castings that only go out to a small number of agents, so it's no different from that point of view, it's just that we know about this one.

No, it's not fair. But what is? Flo has been included and excluded for all sorts of random reasons. If anyone can come up with a better system for rationing roles when there are so many willing and capable youngsters out there, we'd probably be doing it by now.

Of course, you could always sign your DD up with the local Stage Coach...hmmm...maybe that's why we know about it? Oops..am I getting cynical now?

Deb x
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I'm not outraged
It makes absolutely no odds to me whatsoever- I haven't even got a daughter
I feel sorry for those who have and haven't got a shot at a nice part - simples.
I'm well aware having had a performing child in the business for over 7 years that the aim is to make money.

Over and out
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
esmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by esmum »

Hi humph - we were there too :D wasn't it fun!
TomS
GRAMMY Award

Post by TomS »

Last edited by TomS on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
No longer a registered user
willali
BRIT Award

Post by willali »

This us not inprecedented- the children's choir in the tour of Joseph a few years back was Stagecoach sourced at every venue
roxiehart
BRIT Award

Post by roxiehart »

This was the recent reply on the Shrek facebook page to the question 'Will you be auditioning locally for Young Fiona?'

Shrek The Musical UK Tour: Hi, thank you for your interest. The casting of the children for the tour is still being confirmed, but if you would like to register your interest regarding this, please do send your details through to Playful Productions who will be producing and managing the tour, at aboutus@playfuluk.com and they will respond in due course.

They are not admitting to their deal with Stagecoach yet so maybe everyone should email them and see what they say?! ;)
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Thanks roxiehart, does anyone know the age boundaries for the younger 2 Fionas :shock:
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

willali wrote:This us not inprecedented- the children's choir in the tour of Joseph a few years back was Stagecoach sourced at every venue
For Joseph tour last Autumn it wasn't Sagecoach, it was the theatre school that my DD attends as it was 2 years before that. They did retry Stagecoach inbetween but went back to DD's school!!
roxiehart
BRIT Award

Post by roxiehart »

Nottingham Joseph wasn't Stagecoach either for the last 3 times....
roxiehart
BRIT Award

Post by roxiehart »

Young Fiona is age 8 I think, teenage Fiona will be an adult.
Ellie8989899301
GRAMMY Award

Post by Ellie8989899301 »

I emailed the above address inquiring about auditions for Teenage Fiona and received the following reply:
'Although not yet confirmed as we are still developing the production, we think we have now made arrangements for the children for the tour. Should things change, we’d be happy to consider you in the process, of course.'
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

Best of luck to those who get picked for his, will be a great show to be a part of.
Gatesheadangel
GRAMMY Award

Post by Gatesheadangel »

I saw Joseph on tour last year and felt sorry for the kids. The adults were working intensely hard on their performances, while the children spent nearly all the show sitting motionless at the sides with a bit of singing and occasionally hand clicks etc. DC said it would have to be that limited because of rehearsal issues, and i can see that one performance school has access to children they know can sit like statues one performance after another after another. But then i remembered how many dances, songs and scenes my DD and team learnt in less than two weeks for Panto and this led to every show being interesting for the performing kids too. I can see how much more expensive it is to add auditions, but then you get lots of free publicity from the event and a wide spread of children. Just look how much information about Lord of the Flies is on this site!
nezumi
GRAMMY Award

Post by nezumi »

It's rarely Stagecoach that gets the gigs here. Nor is it the theatre classes attached to the theatre a lot of the time. There's a larger (locally) performing arts school that can also provide chaperones and they tend often to provide the children if a whole bunch are needed (and are often approached for auditions). My son doesn't attend that particular school but I know the person who runs it because she's chaperoned him a few times so I often have a nose at what they're up to.

TBH I can understand it from the production companies point of view - even though it means we sometimes miss out on the opportunity to audition. If one school can provide hundreds of children to choose from, & chaperones there isn't really any need to look anywhere else I guess. I have heard very good comments & feedback about the standards of productions the school puts on as well (but I guess with hundreds of kids available they are going to have some very talented kids amongst them - so you would expect them to be good).