Kerry Katona as Marilyn Monroe in Norma Jeane The Musical

heard a rumor or got some gossip?

Moderator: busybusybusy

Doodoos
GRAMMY Award

Kerry Katona as Marilyn Monroe in Norma Jeane The Musical

Post by Doodoos »

Someone please tell me this can't be happening! :?

She may be better known for her appearances on Loose Women and I’m a Celebrity, but Kerry Katona is soon to hit the West End in the role of Marilyn Monroe.
The Atomic Kitten star announced on Twitter that she’d landed the lead in a new production of Norma Jeane The Musical. In a statement on the show’s website, the recently bankrupt singer said: “I’m thrilled to have been given this opportunity to play one of the world’s biggest female icons and can’t wait to get to work. “A successful career in drama has always been a main goal of mine and this role is a challenge but one I’m going to grab with both hands.” Katona may not be the most obvious choice to take up the role of Marilyn Monroe, but the 32-year-old shares a similar chequered history to the Hollywood icon.

Both women come from deprived backgrounds, have been married three times, lived with depression and addiction problems, and have had significant amounts of plastic surgery. Belvedere Pashun, writer and director of the new musical- whose show WAG! The Musical is currently debuting in the West End- said Katona was top of her list to portray Marilyn because of the experiences the two share.
She told The Sun: “Marilyn’s life was one of extremes- poverty, abandonment, abuse followed by flowering beauty which brought attention, fame, wealth and power and then the well documented tragic fall. I needed an actor of huge talent, personality and experience.”

Katona’s debut performance will take place in London in front of an invite-only audience on 22 September. Monroe has previously been played by Michelle Williams in My Week With Marilyn.

As per the independent:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 28294.html
SNN
BAFTA Award

Re: Kerry Katona as Marilyn Monroe in Norma Jeane The Musica

Post by SNN »

Of all people to play the elegant, graceful, talented, beautiful legend that is Marilyn Monroe they chose a washed up pop star?!?
Why? Probably for publicity.
I just hope she'll shock us all and be outstanding not live up to our low expectations and be absolutely rubbish!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

This was being discussed on another actors' forum. Apparently, according to a poster I greatly respect:

"Kerry is *actually* going to play Marilyn Monroe in an investor showcase for a new musical, which doesn't make for such a grand headline. This, I suppose, is another way of saying: I'd hang fire on debating the rights and wrongs of it myself until it's actually confirmed that it's genuinely going to happen as a major 'event'."

I know of the people behind this project (not in a particularly positive way). I think that they are experts in PR - not necessarily in some of the other essentials for putting on great theatre.
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

Oh pulllllease!!!
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

Shoot me now :roll:
Doodoos
GRAMMY Award

Post by Doodoos »

It was this 'tweet' I Initally saw...

@Shows_InLondon: Kerry Katona is soon to hit the #WestEnd in the role of #MarilynMonroe in Norma Jeane The #Musical http://t.co/6PrRpBDwiw #londontheatre

The words Kerry Katona, West End & Marilyn Monroe in the same sentence is just wrong wrong wrong in any sense. Even if she dresses as her for a fancy dress party it's still wrong wrong wrong!!! :D
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

Maybe she will surprise us all and be absolutely fantastic.....??? Having been thoroughly addicted to SMASH it will be interesting to see what the musical is like :)
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I saw Natasha Hamilton from Atomic Kitten play Mrs Johnstone from Blood Brothers a couple of years ago, I have seen the show 4-5 times over the years.
She was incredibly good (maybe looked a little too young) - a fantastic voice from that little frame! - but trained in MT as well.

Kerry Katona has neither training nor a good voice and it would be like giving a MT role to Katie Price, IF she is cast then it will be one for me to miss - like Viva Forever was ;)
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

sounds like a car crash waiting to happen....

I wonder why such rubbish is coming to the West End - not impressed with Viva, or the new X-factor production.

There are so many good things to put on - I'm pleased that Miss Saigon is coming back but what about Whistle Down the Wind, or some other classics...
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I think it's just good PR. I don't think it's coming to the West End in the sense of appearing in a decent theatre for a full run.

If you have a look at the website belonging to the production company here:
http://www.kswproductions.com/

I think you will get a good flavour of the sort of set up it is.

Here's the page about Kerry Katona's appearance: It's a one off event for an industry only audience.
http://www.kswproductions.com/

The production company has, as usual, managed to grab some headlines - just as they did for WAG! the Musical. That hasn't exactly been a rip-roaring success.

However, I would always wish to judge a performer by their performance - not by their history, because if I was judged by some of the acting work I've done in the past (I'm thinking of a couple of ill-judged independent films), I'd never work again!
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

Very true - I still remember Ross Kemp from his "Fruit and Fibre" advert for Kelloggs, which I'm sure he'd now rather forget.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I get what you are saying PG however I think KK is beyond redemption, her reality TV series put paid to that,,nothing to do with her as a performer....more as a desperate fame-hungry sad person with zero respect for herself or her family.
I think to be taken seriously as a performer after that is going to be very very difficult.

If it were to be taken further, would I part with my hard-earned cash to see her?

erm..no! :lol:
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Doodoos
GRAMMY Award

Post by Doodoos »

You can't polish a turd. But you can polish a bad show. With bigger costumes, brighter lights and an expensive set.

As per the famous Twitter's 'westendproducer' He's not referring to Kerry Katona but I think it's suitable for her! :shock:
Doodoos
GRAMMY Award

Post by Doodoos »

francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

I'm sure I read yesterday that she is expecting her 5th child.