Miss Saigon back in London from 2014

heard a rumor or got some gossip?

Moderator: busybusybusy

riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Miss Saigon back in London from 2014

Post by riverdancefan »

BroadwayWorld.com confirmed exclusively back in December 2012 that a highly anticipated revival of the mega-musical "Miss Saigon" was in the works by producer Cameron Mackintosh with auditions taking place for the lead role of 'Kim' (a part created by Lea Salonga). Today, Michael Riedel reports in the New York Post that the show will open in 2014, likely in Mackintosh's Prince Edward Theatre (currently home to "Jersey Boys"). Riedel also confirms our previous reports that directing the revival will be Laurence Connor, who also co-directed the revival of "Les Miserables" that is now touring and which will hit Broadway in 2014.

The first international auditions for the London revival production of "Miss Saigon," which celebrates its 25th anniversary in 2014, were held at the Philippine Opera Company's headquarters in Manila on November 19 to 22, 2012. More than 1,000 aspirants showed up; and at least seven female auditionees were shortlisted. After the auditions, Mackintosh told The Philippine Star that "Yes, I'm going to restage 'Miss Saigon' in London as soon as I find the theater. In fact, yes, you're right...we have started preliminary auditions. When we did the show in London 25 years ago, we spent over a year looking for the cast. I hope that in the next 18 months it would be back in London. The new version has just opened here in Japan and it's a phenomenal success. It's going to be a different production but still the same great 'Miss Saigon.'

Created by the acclaimed writers of "Les Miserables," this modern, rock-infused adaptation of Puccini's 1904 opera "Madame Butterfly" explores the ongoing impact of love, loss and the collision of cultures during the Vietnam War. Originally produced in London's West End in 1989, the show played for an astonishing ten years--a run of over four thousand performances. Broadway success followed in 1991.

Laurence Connor started his career as an actor in which he took part in various plays, musicals and recordings. It was while performing in the musical "Les Miserables" that he was asked to direct his first musical, "A Slice of Saturday Night," which played for a one-night charity gala at the Liverpool Empire Theatre. Since then Laurence has worked as a resident and associate director on several shows in London including "The King & I," "The Phantom of the Opera" and "Oliver!" In 2005, Laurence directed a new touring production of "Miss Saigon", which has been recreated in Korea and Australia winning major awards including The Manchester Evening News award for Best Touring Musical and Green Room award for Best Director, and co-directed the 25th Anniversary tour of "Les Miserables" and the 25th Anniversary concert of "Les Miserables" at the O2. Laurence recently directed "The Phantom if the Opera" at the Royal Albert Hall, "Oliver!" National UK tour, "The Phantom of the Opera" 25th anniversary production and an Arena tour of "Jesus Christ Superstar."

Read more about MISS SAIGON Revival to Open in London in 2014; Directed by Laurence Connor by broadwayworld.com
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Re: Miss Saigon back in London from 2014

Post by CatKat_0 »

Fantastic - perhaps they could move this one to the Palladium and get rid of the X-factor show?!

Never seen this at the theatre, but can't wait to see it this time round.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

CatKat_0 wrote:Fantastic - perhaps they could move this one to the Palladium and get rid of the X-factor show?!

Never seen this at the theatre, but can't wait to see it this time round.
Great minds CatKat!! That is just what I was thinking =D>

I also missed it but love some of the music and songs so this will be on my list !!!
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
emi's mum
BAFTA Award

Post by emi's mum »

Thrilled about this. Favourite show of all time.
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

I wonder whether there is any link between this news and recent Asian castings in Les Mis? Perhaps they are being prepared for a transfer to this show, either in performance or in publicity terms.

I'd love the opportunity to see Miss Saigon again.

Deb x
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Fab show - I saw this when it first opened and was blown away. My ds would love a chance to audition for this and he is finishing his course next summer so maybe they will audition his year.
All new to me!
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

This was the show that Myleene Klass was really keen to get into, and she wanted to join the Miss Saigon School. This was a great idea for the show, as they obviously needed girls of Vietnamese appearance, and the auditions were very keen for authenticity. I remember people trying to get away with makeup, and failing miserably. The idea of the school was that people would be trained in the routines and the various parts, so that if they had to replace people, there were suitable people already able to step in at short notice. Myleene's figure I think was the problem for her, and as far as I'm aware, she never had much luck.

I think it's probably one of my favourite musicals.
SE13
BRIT Award

Post by SE13 »

Tickets are on sale now!

I love Miss Saigon, saw it a few times as a teenager/student and played the tenor sax. parts many a time in youth orchestra/wind bands. Sadly for me, the producers and CDs haven't been in touch so my career as Ellen or principal saxophone is probably never going to happen :-({|=

<I am overlooking the fact that having GCSE drama is my only acting qualification or experience and that few orchestras actively seek to recruit out-of-practice musicians whose most recent MT experience was in their spouse's school's production of Guys and Dolls whilst their ear-defender-wearing small baby was passed around spare Y11 students>
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

LOL :) :)
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

SE13 wrote:Tickets are on sale now!

ear-defender-wearing small baby was passed around spare Y11 students>[/i]
Love that image!

Wish we could plan a trip now - how can people know what they will be doing from next May onwards :roll:
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

I know that for Book of Mormon you can get free exchanges up to two weeks in advance. I don't know if Miss Saigon has the same offer, but they're both Delfont Mackintosh so it might be worth asking.
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

Casting gossip - ex girl band member and ex pop idol contestant
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

Sporty Spice and Gareth Gates!!!
siohip
GRAMMY Award

Post by siohip »

I so need new glasses just read that as Snorty Spice and gareth gates...!!!!
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

The two girls playing the lead are now in intensive training at Arts Ed - all getting very exciting. I wonder whether the girl band member is Kimberly Walsh - she did play Fiona in Shrek so does have the experience.
All new to me!