Star now

heard a rumor or got some gossip?

Moderator: busybusybusy

Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Re: Star now

Post by Flosmom »

Has anyone else been asked to create a promo video for Star Now? They approached Flo last week. She is quite excited about doing it, as is Pandy who is fitting it in with her on-going work on her short film (which is coming along nicely, by the way - more news next week...)

Deb x
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Post by lollypop »

Is it normal for StarNow ads to insist on a video on YouTube or Vimeo before you can apply for a role? thanks
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

lollypop wrote:Is it normal for StarNow ads to insist on a video on YouTube or Vimeo before you can apply for a role? thanks
I think that's unusual, at least for kids roles. I have come across requirements for sound clips, especially for singing or voiceover work.

Deb x
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

It is unusual but they may be wanting to narrow down who to invite to audition or even casting from showreels. Does the ad give any details about the individuals/company involved so you can Google them?
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Post by lollypop »

Ah. I've literally just joined StarNow as there were 3 kids roles I was interested in but all 3 want a video, and they all are pitching as low/ no pay but good for building a showreel! Is that ironic?
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

](*,)
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

It's a bit bonkers in my opinion. I get the distinct impression from some of the "jobs" posted on sites like Starnow that some film makers start to feel important because they put details of their hoped for production on a casting site. Making films (not necessarily good ones) is within reach of just about anyone who owns a modern mobile phone.

Sometimes it's difficult to know whether the style of the posting is because of arrogance or an attempt to fool people in to thinking that they are more experienced than they are (sometimes I think it's both).

If you do find that the the jobs you are interested require youtube videos, and you really want to apply for some of the unpaid or low paid work, I would recommend just putting up a clip of a short monologue that you film yourself.

If you'd like any thoughts or advice on that then let me know.

I'm afraid "delusions of grandeur" is often the first phrase that springs to mind when I read some of the casting breakdowns on sites like Starnow. I know there are some good things and there are some people who approach it all professionally and realistically - but some of them :shock:
lollypop
GRAMMY Award

Post by lollypop »

Thanks pg. I'm not sure I am comfortable putting a self tape on youtube but that's probably just me showing my age!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

It doesn't have to be public. You could just have something available to send as a link to someone.

I don't blame you though!