Gypsy coming to the West End

heard a rumor or got some gossip?

Moderator: busybusybusy

Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Gypsy coming to the West End

Post by Flosmom »

The stories about Gypsy coming to the West End in 2013/14 seem to be warming up, so anyone with talented singing and dancing DDs might want to keep an eye out for casting calls for Baby June and Louise.

It's not right for Flo, but good luck to any NAPMs whose DCs fit the bill.

Unless I've got it wrong/it's already been cast/they've decided to use small adults playing down in age...but that's what the Gossip thread is here to share, isn't it? :lol:

Deb x
emi's mum
BAFTA Award

Re: Gypsy coming to the West End

Post by emi's mum »

This has been rumoured on and off for 2 or 3 years now. I do wish they would bring it into town. I blooming love this show.
Lolalou
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lolalou »

Is this directed by Paul Kerryson tried out at Leicester Curve last year - there were rumours then it was going to the WE. This production used a child initially for Baby June but she was replaced after a scene with an adult playing down. Louise was played by an adult playing down. They insisted on ballet and a high standard of baton twirling for June - so DC hopefuls out there get practising - you never know when the call will come!
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

shame they didn't give the kids a chance as there's not a huge number of roles for children anyway. I saw a local version of this recently and it was absolutely fabulous. I hope it does make it to the WE (or even on tour). Leicesters Curve theatre throws out some great shows.
Lolalou
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lolalou »

Gypsy was amazing at the Curve...so appropriate for a tour and definitely West End standard. Leicester is producing some great musicals at the moment - lots of them standards but with a really fresh spin. If anyone gets a chance to visit, do. It's a fabulous theatre with a great vibe and amazing facilities, also a great selection of shows - not the same old 'tireds and trusteds' we usually suffer in the regions. My DS loves the way at the end of each show they 'lift' the walls at the sides of the stage so the audience can see the entire stage from all angles.
And they cast Baby June and her newsboys from an open call - the boys were required to tap...all useful knowledge if it tours and your DS are auditioning!
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

Lolalou wrote:Is this directed by Paul Kerryson tried out at Leicester Curve last year - there were rumours then it was going to the WE. This production used a child initially for Baby June but she was replaced after a scene with an adult playing down. Louise was played by an adult playing down. They insisted on ballet and a high standard of baton twirling for June - so DC hopefuls out there get practising - you never know when the call will come!
The children were fantastic in all their scenes, and the use of adults for the young (not child) June and Louise characters added somehow to Rose's psychological profile. One of Curve's true triumphs in my humble opinion.
fairywhisperart
BRIT Award

Post by fairywhisperart »

My son was in Gypsy at the Curve Leicester. He had a small part and it was his first 'lucky break'. \:D/ He didnt tap but still got in. I know this will be a must see for us if it gets to the West End, although don't know who will top the leading lady,Caroline o Connor. :-k
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

fairywhisperart wrote:My son was in Gypsy at the Curve Leicester. He had a small part and it was his first 'lucky break'. \:D/ He didnt tap but still got in. I know this will be a must see for us if it gets to the West End, although don't know who will top the leading lady,Caroline o Connor. :-k
It was supposed to be the phenomenal Imelda Staunton, so no worries there!!
She was mind-blowing in ST!
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
fairywhisperart
BRIT Award

Post by fairywhisperart »

That will be great then! :D Funny we watched ST at the Curve yesterday! It was fabulous =D>