SCAM POSTED ON STARNOW

heard a rumor or got some gossip?

Moderator: busybusybusy

carriesdream
BRIT Award

SCAM POSTED ON STARNOW

Post by carriesdream »

Starnow scam
Last edited by carriesdream on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeanie
GRAMMY Award

Re: SCAM POSTED ON STARNOW

Post by Jeanie »

I've seen money SCAMs but this sounds horrible. Thanks for alerting us to this.
Jade
Nominee

Post by Jade »

Thanks for the headsup. I always ask the company to provide me with full details and then I normally make a few calls to check the person is who they say they are. These guys provided me with a company website but with no client information it was hard for me to determine if they were the real thing - better to be safe so we didn't pursue contact - thankfully!

I always make sure correspondence is kept through the star now system. They monitor contact and I know they have picked up on things have seemed strange in the past and contacted us with a warning message. I've actually been pretty impressed with the contact I've had from their team. They seem to be much safer than some of the other sites. Still you can never be too careful!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Jade wrote:I always make sure correspondence is kept through the star now system. They monitor contact and I know they have picked up on things have seemed strange in the past and contacted us with a warning message. I've actually been pretty impressed with the contact I've had from their team. They seem to be much safer than some of the other sites.
Jade :I'm glad you have had positive experience with the Starnow team, but wouldn't it be much better if they checked out the "opportunities" BEFORE they were published on Starnow?

After all, they charge enough money to the actors to be on the site! I think the moderation of the site is very weak, personally. Absolutely anyone can post a job/oppportunity with nothing more than an email address. As far as I am aware, Starnow only react to a dubious posting if they are alerted by their members, so really the members are doing the work, rather than the Starnow team. I don't think they are vigilant at all - if they were, the scams wouldn't be there in the first place.
frisbee
GRAMMY Award

Post by frisbee »

Yay! Go PG! =D> I've had to do that the past and it took them some convincing! ](*,)

BTW what did anyone think about the "Hollywood talent manager scouting for new actors" posting that was only on for a day.

Did anyone apply, thought it was difficult for British kids to work in American.

D

NB Hey!....Just noticed I'm on grammy awards for postings! Here's my acceptance speech...I like to accept this award and I'd like to thank my mother, all those that have supported me, my hair dresser........Cheers!
carriesdream
BRIT Award

Post by carriesdream »

Yes I thought that Starnow should check before posting adverts, you are right pg
I actually had a very nice email saying that "anyone" who posted a job to minors had to send a scanned copy of
their passport or drivers licence to Starnow so they had a genuine point of contact. Though of course people could fake documents, ..... I thought this was relatively re assuring

That is until the Romanian Scam! May be Starnow should ask for more info but I guess it is impossible to tell if advertisers write one thing and then ask for another once they get to casting,

I think they did the right thing and just banned them if anyone sends them a genuine complaint.
Last edited by carriesdream on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

pg wrote:Jade :I'm glad you have had positive experience with the Starnow team, but wouldn't it be much better if they checked out the "opportunities" BEFORE they were published on Starnow?
absolutely - even one getting through is one too many, appalling - questions should have been asked
frisbee wrote:NB Hey!....Just noticed I'm on grammy awards for postings!
[/quote]
Congratulations are in order =D> (don't forget to thank your dentist :lol: )