WHICH DRAMA SCHOOL

heard a rumor or got some gossip?

Moderator: busybusybusy

Debbie1302
Nominee

WHICH DRAMA SCHOOL

Post by Debbie1302 »

My daughter was desperate to go to GSA to do MT but has not got in - it was her first attempt. She has been offered a place at another (less prestigious) drama school to do the same course - should I advise her to take it? She could do the degree there and then think about a post grade course at GSA? Any advice? :D
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Re: WHICH DRAMA SCHOOL

Post by sapphire »

Remember that your daughter would not be able to get funding for a postgrad course so she would have to look at funding that herself! If she really wants to go to GSA then it may be worth waiting and trying again next year. How old is she? My DD is in Year 13 and has only applied to drama schools she really wants to go to this year and is planning on taking a year out and trying again next year if she doesn't get into one of her first choices this year.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

My DD did not get in the first year of auditioning (though she did get on reserve list for one place). She took a gap year, and was offeredplaces at 3 excellent drama colleges (GSA was one of them!) as well as 2 reserve places. She too had been keen to go to GSA - however, she ended up taking a place eleswhere, so things can change. Talking of change there has apparently been lots of changes in the staff at GSA over the last year.

The main disadvantage of a postgrad course is the added cost - your DD would presumably have loans to repay after first degree, followed by fees for postgrad (which are far higher than those for first degrees). Thats a lot to owe in a profession that has precariou employment :shock:

A gap year can work out well, so it is owrth considering. My Dd now loves her course and cant imagine having gone anywhere else :)
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

When my ds did his auditions, he went along with the attitude that the first year was where he would find out how things worked and the second time round he would hopefully get in. In the end he got in first time round - perhaps because of his attitude, who knows. I don't think you can ever be satisfied with second best and if it is not where your dd really wants to go then perhaps it is best to try again next year. At least she will know what expect. Good luck.
All new to me!
songbird
GRAMMY Award

Post by songbird »

Its hard to offer advice without know what school you comparing to - dd was offered a place with funding at GSA but by then had accepted another shool and had good vibes about it - agree with welsh mum lots of changes in staff at GSA in the last year but still the school has a great reputation. DD very happy where she chose and loves being in london - she goes to shows most week often complimentary or standing at the national and has absolutely no regrets about her choice - at the end of the day al that matters is that they are happy as unless they are they wont thrive
If you dont buy a ticket how can you ever expect to win !!