Dance and Drama Awards for 2012

heard a rumor or got some gossip?

Moderator: busybusybusy

Roberts75
Nominee

Dance and Drama Awards for 2012

Post by Roberts75 »

This is my first post on here and I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it would appear that DaDAs for new students applying from 2012 have been scrapped. The new Education (Student Support) Regulations 2011 that come into effect on September 1st actually make specific reference to the revokation of DaDAs.... :( I'm still trawling my way through the legislation (with heavy heart, it has to be said, as my daughter was relying on them continuing) but from what I can tell so far, it looks as though anyone wanting to train at the independent schools may be able to apply for a student loan to cover tuition fees and living costs (though as we all know, even if they're able to apply for the maximum £9,000 tuition fee loan, it still won't be enough to cover fees at places like ArtsEd, GSA or Mountview).

Please bear with me, if you can - I'm not a trained lawyer, just a mature law student - I'll post again with anything of importance as I try and decipher it (all 150 pages.....) :(
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Dance and Drama Awards for 2012

Post by pg »

Hmm. I hope it's not quite this bleak. This wasn't the impression I got from senior staff I spoke to at Oxford School of Drama. It is possible that they are scrapping DaDA's as they currently exist, but my impression was that there were ongoing discussions about how they were to be replaced or adjusted. There was apparently agreement that something similar was needed for the independent schools.

it is very difficult and worrying (and makes planning very hard) I agree. :(
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

No-one really knows what is going to happen.

Dh's college have said that they are going to announce some exciting news at the next staff meeting, now this could be anything but I'm wondering if it is anything to do with funding.

The colleges themselves are certainly not painting such a bleak picture.
songbird
GRAMMY Award

Post by songbird »

They may offer HEFCE funding which means that the student takes the 9 K loan for tuition and the government cover the difference on talent my dd was offered Hefce for GSA thisyear which would have meant her taking the 3.5 K tuition loan and the governemnt paid the 10K plus she would have been elligble for the maintenance loan. DD in fact turned this down as her heart was made up for elsewhere. Hefce was a brill offer when the top up of 10K was on offer but with the new fees coming into play same as for any uni student its a lot to pay back for training in a career that may not offer rich rewards in terms of actual earnings. our son would love to go to a certain dance school which funds by student loans but looking at 27K in tuition fees against the previous 9K for 3 years plus 3 yrs of living at minimum 6k a year I do worry thats its an awfully big noose round the neck for what might be a relatively short career thats if he managed to get in by audition of course ...
If you dont buy a ticket how can you ever expect to win !!
dadadance
BRIT Award

Post by dadadance »

I don't think this legislation refers to DaDa's as institutions listed in the legislation to be revoked, Education (Student Support) (Dance and Drama) (Amendment) Regulations 2001are not all DaDa providers. I think this legislation refers to Higher Education courses not Further Education courses.

When the DaDa's were held back earlier this year we were told that DaDa's would continue but they may not be available to those who were or over the age of 19 at the start of the course. We were also told "From 2012/13 the DfE will be seeking to target its resources and work with providers to ensure value for money. They also hope to explore how the DADA is aligned to other similar schemes within the sector."
ginger
Nominee

Post by ginger »

Hi I am new on here, but would like to say my son got a dada last year. He is just starting 2nd shortly, but even though that sounds great we have to pay for his shared accomodation of over 5,000 a year all his travel and food and anything else that pops up which comes to over 10,000 a year.
I dont understand why they cant have help towards accomodation with a dada if they are going to be paying it back. Last year when they told us you cant have a student loan as its classed as double funding. And because we earn jointly over 40,000 you dont get anything its madness I also have another son away from home but they dont take any other expenses into account. We have used all our savings to fund this and it would of been a huge help if he could of got a loan for accomodation
Adihall
Nominee

Post by Adihall »

DaDA's will almost certainly be with us for the foreseeable future. The YPLA and BIS are currently deciding how to administer the scheme with YPLA taking up to 18 and BIS taking post 18. There will be info on our website once we hear.
Www.alra.co.uk
Enjoy
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Dance and Drama Awards for 2012 will remain as before. YPLA have announced a postponement to any changes in funding. It says on their website that 2012/13 will be the final transitional year for the current DADA scheme and that any new system/changes will be implemented from September 2013. Just fingers crossed in this household that my DD is offered one now so she can take up a place already offered.