Curtis Brown & Alike

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

mummared
Nominee

Curtis Brown & Alike

Post by mummared »

Are agencies like Curtis Brown ones to look at if your child wants to get more into Film and TV work?
We are with a good agency at the moment, we do get a mix of castings but the bulk are commercial castings and not the route she really wants to continue down.
She has done straight acting theatre too but wants to do more TV and Film work and I wonder if the likes of Curtis Brown (although really hard to get into) may get her more of the opportunities that she wants? I assume that they would have many more contacts than a lot of other agencies?
Trying to navigate our way through this industry so all advice is gratefully received.
:D
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Re: Curtis Brown & Alike

Post by FredaBloggs »

Curtis Brown is very, very selective. In my experience the children they take on already have at least one high-profile TV/film credit under their belt. In other words, Curtis Brown typically decides to represent children because they are already successful TV/film actors - they don't become successful because CB takes them on.

Who is your DD with now? The castings she gets at the moment might be a reflection of the type of work her agency tends to do, but it might also be down to your DD herself - some children just have a more commercial "look" and get asked to a lot of ad castings. I'd suggest looking at the children cast in smaller roles in the sort of productions your DD would like to be in, and searching for who their agents are. That may give you a feel for the agencies that do TV/film work but who don't require children to have an established track record in high-profile screen roles to gain representation.
mummared
Nominee

Post by mummared »

Only just seen your reply, thank you.

I see, I wondered this about Curtis Brown, are the other bigger ones like Sinou, Hamilton Hodell etc similar in that respect?

Looking at other CV's is a good idea.

She is with Hero at the moment. I wouldn't say she has a commercial look, I get told a lot she has a 'unique look' never too sure how to take that, lol. She has done one commercial, she tends to get commercial castings but not get very far with them. Her straight acting theatre track record is good, and she's either been cast or been down to the last few, she doesn't do musical theatre. The last casting she has had for short films & a feature film have had good feedback - I just don't know if the agent she is with can open the doors she wants.

Just don't know where would be best for her to be? Feel like moving agents is a big gamble into the unknown. I would like her to be with one that open the doors and develop her as an actor.
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

Hero has a very good reputation, and they are very selective. If you haven't done so, it might be worth asking to see a list of what the agency has submitted your DD for in recent months. That might give an idea whether she's being put forward by the agency for the sort of work she'd like to do but is not being selected to audition by the casting directors, or if they're just not putting her forward for the sort of roles she prefers.

TV and film is tricky to break into (even if social media makes it look otherwise!). DS, who's had a very successful stage career so far, is still trying to get a screen role after 4 years of auditioning. Unlike theatre, where they usually need to cast multiple children to share a role, with screen they're just looking for one child. In my experience, it matters a lot more for screen roles whether your look fits the rest of the cast and than it does in theatre, and there are often a lot more people with a say in the casting process than there are in stage productions.

I also think that screen acting can require quite different technique to stage acting (though I'm aware that not all acting coaches agree). It might be worth actively seeking out some classes or workshops focusing on acting for screen if most of your DD's experience has been in theatre.
mummared
Nominee

Post by mummared »

I know she is lucky to be with them & she has had some lovely opportunities. Their comms at the moment is a bit frustrating, I don't think that is helping, I know they are busy but I like an answer to questions or at least an acknowledgement.

I've tried finding screen acting coaching, just nothing about annoyingly! Same for accent coaching. We're not London based so think that plays a part.

Tough old industry hey! Good luck to your son with the screen role he is after.

x x
J-G
BRIT Award

Post by J-G »

My DD has been with Hero for a little while and already has been getting excellent television, film and theatre castings and I know of others who have been too. Indeed we see kids at those castings from those agents like Saniou so Hero definitely have the contacts to get their kids seen when they fit the brief and are representing people with jobs in eg GOT, Jamestown, Hollyoaks and Casualty. Communication with those castings has also always been really good too. If you have concerns perhaps best to raise with them directly and how best to proceed. For example, does your DD have a good showreel. For acting courses - some will do Skye lessons and one off classes in London. Reading scripts and accent videos on YouTube do help too.
Julie
BRIT Award

Post by Julie »

Graham Eaglsham of accents for actors also does Skype and is very good, about £30/hour ish