Dee Boss Talent

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Linawa1301
Nominee

Dee Boss Talent

Post by Linawa1301 »

Hello,

New member here :D and very much a newbie in the talent biz with my DD.

We’ve been offered a place with Deeboss talent, any reviews/ opinions on them as I couldn’t find any information on here about them.

They also specified a £50 one of fee to join the agency, is this a common practice? I understand and accept fees for spotlights & photography but a bit put off with the payment they’re asking for joining.

Any comments would be much appreciated x
Fairydust
Nominee

Re: Dee Boss Talent

Post by Fairydust »

Hi, Personally I would never pay a joining fee. The reputable agencies do not charge.
I would look around a check out others.

I have PM you.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Deeboss are reputable and lots of reputable agencies do charge a joining or setting up fee.

Whether you WANT
to pay or not is a totally different matter, but its not uncommon, especially with children's agencies.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Fairydust
Nominee

Post by Fairydust »

I really wouldn't even consider joining an agency that charges a fee.
It really is an unspoken rule.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Fairydust wrote:I really wouldn't even consider joining an agency that charges a fee.
It really is an unspoken rule.
Entirely your choice and entirely your unspoken rule.

However please don't lump together agencies who do charge as not reputable,the ones I am familiar with certainly are reputable. My DS has been in the business since aged 4 and now nearly 18. We have been with agencies who charged a fee ( and got him lots of work that was very well paid) and those that don't. currently he is with one that doesn't charge a fee.
All the agencies he has been with have been reputable and popular, fee or no fee.

Like I said if you choose not to pay and go elsewhere that's your prerogative and this has been debated many times before.
Some people feel strongly, some don't, either way my point is you can't just say agencies that are very well respected are not reputable because they charge a fee.
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Yes, rIverdancefan is exactly right - it is often something to avoid with an adult agency, but children's agencies often have a website fee or headshots charge, it really doesn't reflect their status or authenticity. Always much better to get the opinions of someone with the agency to find out if they are worth considering. We have come across all sorts in our 10 years in the industry and fee/no fee very much varies.
Not_MrsWorthington
BRIT Award

Post by Not_MrsWorthington »

My DD is with Dee Boss and they are the nicest bunch of ladies and not only that, the kids and adults are all so supportive and kind to each other too! Plenty of castings going out. Check what the fee is for - is it for them to manage your website?
Fairydust
Nominee

Post by Fairydust »

Managing a website is all part of the job as an agent.

If you are going on about longevity and how much people know etc as this has been brought up, I have been in 'The Business' for 40 years and my children started 20 years ago.

It really doesn't matter!

For people just starting out, I would suggest you don't pay a fee upfront.
There are agencies who manage websites adults and children alike who do not charge as this is part of their work as an agent, if indeed they do decide to have photos etc on their website.

It is important to realise if you are 'new' to all this that there are some 'agencies' that charge this money as a cash cow, thereby taking on numerous people on their books for the £50 or whatever joining fee.
It is entirely up to the individual to pay or not, lovely people or not, just something which leaves a bad taste in my humble opinion.
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Yes, that's fair enough Fairydust, how lovely and experienced we all are, and perfect for giving unbiased advice as we will also have had all kinds of experiences. The reason I felt compelled to comment on it was that you stated it was "an unspoken rule" when in fact it isn't, and it shouldn't be cause to disregard an agency (within reason) - it is just a preference. If we are toalking about adult agencies then no, I wouldn't expect to pay anything as the maintenance of their webpage is far less time consuming.
I would advise having a good look at what the agent has to offer and how many people they represent etc.
ZLZL
Nominee

Post by ZLZL »

A quick google search, remember people google is your friend :D
So they appear to have been going just over a year and have approx 240 clients on their website so 240 x £50 is £12,000 [-X :shock:
If you look at the top 10 child agencies in London not one charges a joining fee. Maybe that's enough said! Other than shall we all start an agency!!!!!!! :lol:
Not_MrsWorthington
BRIT Award

Another search brings us this http://filmsonashoestring.co.uk/acting- ... -children/ - showing Dee Boss in the top 20 reputable agencies for kids. If you want to get a feel for how the clients of Dee Boss feel about them (always a good sign) search for #TeamDB on Twitter.
RoseTowers4
GRAMMY Award

Post by RoseTowers4 »

Interesting read. However, as website fees are under discussion, A&J management don't charge a website fee anymore.
tracie
BRIT Award

Post by tracie »

I need to jump in here. we paid quite a lot when we were part of a large Manchester Agency. Did we get a great service etc NO. We are now with Amber and have been for a while and they DONT charge any fees and are totally wonderful. Would I ever join another Agency who asks for money NO. Once bitten twice shy. That is my opinion and I am sure other people have great experiences with Agencies who charge. Only you can decide. Weigh up all the comments and go with your gut feeling. Good luck.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

The point I am making is this ... #-o
There are reputable agencies who charge a fee!!!!
Charging a fee doesn’t automatically make them dodgy, you may not want or agree with a fee, I don’t feel strongly either way BUT please don’t tarnish a perfectly valid agency with a slur about their reputation, just because they charge a fee.

That’s my beef here!
Actually I give up!!

I’m making like Paulears
Not_MrsWorthington
BRIT Award

I'm not commenting either way on the Dee Boss fee as I wasn't aware of it before this post, but for anyone looking for a new agency and weighing up costs, it's also worth asking what OTHER charges there are - I've known a 'reputable' kids' agency charge an increment on the Spotlight fee (without being honest and saying they were charging more), encouraging attendance at paid workshops when they are completely unsuitable, and - more common - insisting you use 'their' photographer which may include a cut for them. It is a business at the end of the day and they are there to make money, but in my opinion it's so much better if there is a good and open relationship.