Advice on agency fees

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Littlemum
GRAMMY Award

Advice on agency fees

Post by Littlemum »

Hello all
My two DS are with a Manchester agency who has just asked me to sign new Ts and Cs saying we now pay them £10 a month admin fee which also covers a compulsory workshop (minimum 1 a year, but cost apparently covers 2). When I started out learning about agencies, I thought that agencies should only charge a very small admin fee and I'm not entirely happy with this new suggestion, even though one DS has had plenty of work through them. I'd be really grateful for any thoughts from the community? Spotlight would then be paid directly to spotlight, whereas previously they used to weight the spotlight fee to include an admin cost towards maintaining the page and uploading the photos. The agency has been good at communicating with me personally, but I'm just not sure if it's time to review this. Thank you!
tracie
BRIT Award

Re: Advice on agency fees

Post by tracie »

A good Agency does not ask for money. You should only pay out for spotlight and headshots. We were with a big Northern Agency who took money off us for admin, headshots and other various things. I looked into it all and realised its not the best. We are with an amazing agency now they take no money other than the 15% fees of what my son earns from a job and I pay for spotlight and any headshots which need doing. The bigger the Agency is not necessarily the best.
whattodo
BRIT Award

Post by whattodo »

Is that even legal??? £10 a month for what exactly what admin fees are there... is it scream by any chance? Wouldn't touch anyone with a barge pole that said £10 a month that's scandalous!
whattodo
BRIT Award

Post by whattodo »

so after looking through your posts it seems it is scream... i wouldn't be entertaining that at all, in fact i'd be running for the hills! its outrageous and certainly not a thing any decent agency would do! all about the money it seems and leaves a very sour taste in my mouth to see an agency would do this!
tracie
BRIT Award

Post by tracie »

I have to agree. I suggest you contact other agengies and see their policies and I am sure you will realise that the agency your talking about is not like most. If its the one I am thinking of we were with them for a short while, left once I realised that there was something very wrong and found a fabulous agency without any of the fees i had paid and got plenty more quality auditions for my child. Seriously think about things and have a scout about
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Ten quid a month to belong to an 'agency'. wow! Considering agencies never guarantee any work, no way can they justify this. As for admin - their office effort should go into promoting their clients. If they don't get you any work, what actual admin did they do?

It's a con - a rip-off - taking advantage of people who 'need' an agent but are not really sure what for.

Many agents deserve their terrible reputation. In the past six months I've discovered agents charging their acts commission, and also charging the venues they perform at - so getting two bites out of the same apple. I've found agents who "don't pay VAT', forcing their VAT registered acts to either declare their work at the gross price, and having to lose the 20% VAT as a discount, while the agent keeps the VAT content as an 'extra'. The same agents who get paid in cash from a venue on the night and then make the act wait for six weeks or more for their money (which is of course their own money - the agent taking a commission from the transaction) Many agents work by buy and sell - they pay you an agreed amount but sell you to a production company, sometimes (as happened to us recently) for DOUBLE the fee we get.

If your agent wishes to charge you for work they may or may not carry out, with no guarantee as to getting work - avoid them like the plague. There may be a few good ones, but far too many are basically scoundrels! (Lovely descriptive word)
Littlemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Littlemum »

Hello all
First of all thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to reply.
I do agree with what you all say, it's just hard to make the break as they've been very supportive whilst I wasn't well last year and the boys do get work. But I'm going to have to bite the bullet and discuss it with them. I can't be the only person worrying about this on their books now. Maybe they will reconsider. It's not even just the money, it's the principle! Thanks again
whattodo
BRIT Award

Post by whattodo »

We were with them too a while ago and I left for poor communication reasons lots of lies and withholding payment to my ds. He did really well with them too but I got the point where enough was enough and they didn't even argue when I said I wasn't doing 6 months notice. £10 a month is ridiculous it really is, you certainly won't be the only one annoyed by this. To say they are such a big established agency to just screams (pardon the pun) money grabbing! It's sad really a lot of people will pay it and its sounds like they are going to take on anyone just for the £10 a month to line their pockets! It all went downhill as soon as they opened that blooming London office - they haven't the cash flow they claim to have :oops: