Northern Agency recommendations??

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Moosmum
BRIT Award

Northern Agency recommendations??

Post by Moosmum »

Hi, we are Northern based and have had a few meetings with some London based agencies. I am now beginning to wonder if we should perhaps be looking closer to home or if it doesn't really matter? I'm aware 95% of castings are in the south,I'm just unsure of whether northern agencies would get better opportunities up here than the London ones? Any advice greatly appreciated :)
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Re: Northern Agency recommendations??

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

We started with northern agents connected to drama school and are now with a London/Midlands based one. I think they all get access to the same opportunities on Spotlight but when we spoke to London agents some just didnt 'get it' as far as we were concerned. We found it depended hugely on the London agents understanding of 'the North' and also the fit between our willingness and their expectations. I had what I thought was a jokey conversation with one where I said 'we are quite happy to travel (We were in London to meet them after all) but that we didn't want to be at a casting in Covent garden at 4pm every Wednesday afternoon'. He looked at me very straight faced and said 'I think you'll find like most of my clients that you just get into the rhythm of being there'.

So we didn't go with them! I think he was imagining that The North was St Albans and after that it was all a bit hazy.

The current agent has a grip on travel and geography and sends DC for all sorts of things outside London (mainly Manchester but also Sheffield, Leeds, Nottingham Peterborough and Leicester - all more doable than London for us) and only does London stuff if DC is a really excellent fit for something interesting. We don't get sent for 3 hours on the train to sit in a room with 50 identical children to be seen for 15 seconds for adverts. But that's just for my sanity. Others might do it differently.
Moosmum
BRIT Award

Post by Moosmum »

Thankyou :) yes I think it does depend on agency,some we have seen are very adamant about us doing whatever they say and others are open and said they would put us forward for northern when they can. I wasn't sure what the etiquette is as its all new really for us! So difficult to know what the right move is x
tracie
BRIT Award

Post by tracie »

my son is with a wonderful Agency up north and has lots of auditions up North and down South. I don't want to be with a London Agency as I cant commit to going to auditions in London every week. Explain to them what you can and cant do and see what they say.
Moosmum
BRIT Award

Post by Moosmum »

Thank you :) any recommendations of decent northern agencies please? We have a workshop coming up with Ology but other than that I'm stumped! She's with Scream Theatre School so I'm going to see about them too possibly after the holidays x
tracie
BRIT Award

Post by tracie »

Try purple Giraffe. Excellent agency, young, vibrant and really really look after the children, they know them individually which is fab. Far better than the likes of Scream and I can say that having had experience with them.
Moosmum
BRIT Award

Post by Moosmum »

Thanks,will take a look. Had a call from EKA eurokids saying hey thought she was great and they would send email with further info,got the email saying she was accepted and to attend a photo shoot where they would get to know her better etcetc but this has totally put up red flags!! They haven't even seen her tapes :/ anybody know anything about them please?
whattodo
BRIT Award

Post by whattodo »

It's such a minefield isn't it? I personally would avoid Eka sounds like money grabbing again! Your dd goes to scream theatre school doesn't she? I've heard some bad things about scream lately and would avoid them too now as it seems they are charging £10 a month for some rubbish excuse of admin fees [-X There is purple giraffe as tracie mentioned who we seriously contemplated, and there is also Ora casting, Piccadilly management, Pha, lime, Amber and there is jane hollowood too - all these take children and are mcr/northern based. You shouldn't pay anything other than your spotlight entry and then commission to agency on work you get. Some may prefer a certain photographer for headshots but many don't. Good luck! Is your dd still enjoying scream theatre school?
Moosmum
BRIT Award

Post by Moosmum »

Hi yes she loves the Theatre school but I'm wary of the casting agency for the reasons you said,plus I'd prefer a smaller boutique agency really. A new agency has offered representation but they are literally starting from scratch,owner is a casting director apparently and no fees except spotlight fee so part of me thinks just give them a shot,worst comes to worst is it's only a year!
whattodo
BRIT Award

Post by whattodo »

I think you have to trust your instinct sometimes. I was dithering over an agency the other week and after speaking to them a couple of times then meeting them I feel it's the right move. Purple Giraffe are really personable and Ora are too. I like agencies that are transparent and upfront. Also some agencies have huge notice periods and that's not great either as you could end up missing out on potential castings etc have you looked on agency Facebook pages to see what kind of castings your dd could be going for and to get a feel of how large the agency is. It all depends too on what kind of castings you are hoping for, tvc's, tv, film, theatre, photo or a bit of everything. Some agencies will be stronger for modelling and others tvcs and Ology casting as an example didn't use to cast for theatre. It is very confusing and draining. All you can do is try and speak to agencies and ask them what they are about and see how you feel.
Moosmum
BRIT Award

Post by Moosmum »

Yes definitely I agree,I suppose there is no right answer as it's a personal choice,kind of want it to just be done now as I'm fed up of looking haha! I don't have anything to compare to either so actually have no idea what makes a good agent x