Expectations from Agencies

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

actor101
BRIT Award

Expectations from Agencies

Post by actor101 »

I have a general question regarding agencies and what is expected of them.

Do you expect to get feedback from auditions regardless of the outcome. By feedback I mean a simple Yes or No.

Would you expect an agent to know what stage things are at for roles they've sent people to audition for. Some context to this one, I sometimes get more information on this forum than from the agent.

Do you email your agents after a few weeks or do you just assume it's a no if you have heard nothing.

We are relatively new to this and are still learning how it all works. I find the lack of information frustrating but wonder if this is just how the industry works and I just need to roll with it!!

Thank you!
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Re: Expectations from Agencies

Post by ACookie »

An agent will only have any information to pass on to you if the casting teams have given them any feedback. This rarely happens! Some of the musicals have sent feedback especially if you have got a reasonable way through the process but self tapes, first round auditions don't usually get anything. The agent will not usually chase submissions if they haven't heard anything, feedback is not the norm. They may only know what stage something is at if they have other clients who are still involved. There is no harm in you asking your agent though. They may also be happy to give you personal feedback on self tapes.
actor101
BRIT Award

Post by actor101 »

ACookie wrote:An agent will only have any information to pass on to you if the casting teams have given them any feedback. This rarely happens! Some of the musicals have sent feedback especially if you have got a reasonable way through the process but self tapes, first round auditions don't usually get anything. The agent will not usually chase submissions if they haven't heard anything, feedback is not the norm. They may only know what stage something is at if they have other clients who are still involved. There is no harm in you asking your agent though. They may also be happy to give you personal feedback on self tapes.
Thank you that's very helpful. I shall learn how to manage myself and DS expectations :)
esmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by esmum »

I'd say, on our experience anyway, to not expect any feedback. Dd has been booked at castings we thought were definite no's and then not got past recalls for what we thought went really well. Best ever was a phone call out of the blue to say booked for a campaign on just a photo - no casting, no audition. None of it makes sense so just enjoy the experiences.
actor101
BRIT Award

Post by actor101 »

esmum wrote:I'd say, on our experience anyway, to not expect any feedback. Dd has been booked at castings we thought were definite no's and then not got past recalls for what we thought went really well. Best ever was a phone call out of the blue to say booked for a campaign on just a photo - no casting, no audition. None of it makes sense so just enjoy the experiences.
Thanks Esmum, DS is loving it all and is great at handling the outcomes, positive or negative. I'm having a harder time "enjoying it" as it sometimes involves manic last minute requests that require juggling with work schedules and other children's activities. But if that's what we've signed up for we'll suck it up and get on with it as long as DS is still enjoying it!
newgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by newgirl »

We hardly ever get feedback from the agency and it was frustrating one time when dd was seen many times for a show - I did ask them and they found out but really it was such general feedback it was probably the same answer for all. There probably isn't any feedback that is hugely useful - its most likely that another kid was just a better fit for the job - nothing you can do. Casting teams see so many kids they just won't have time to give proper feedback so prob best to not expect it.
actor101
BRIT Award

Post by actor101 »

newgirl wrote:We hardly ever get feedback from the agency and it was frustrating one time when dd was seen many times for a show - I did ask them and they found out but really it was such general feedback it was probably the same answer for all. There probably isn't any feedback that is hugely useful - its most likely that another kid was just a better fit for the job - nothing you can do. Casting teams see so many kids they just won't have time to give proper feedback so prob best to not expect it.
I'm not really after detailed feedback, just a Yes/No so we can cross off the list and move on!! I guess the best thing to do is to move on after the audition and take any recalls or castings as a bonus!
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

If your agent hears, I'm sure they'd pass that on, but even a that is unusual, unfortunately. And if it's annoying for kids, consider how much more frustrating it is for adults, who are trying to make a living, pay bills. There's a movement called Give Us A No, who are campaigning to address this - and even they are only hoping to achieve a no after recalls, not first auditions. It must add to the stress of what is already an uncertain existence at the best of times. https://twitter.com/giveusano?lang=en-gb
willowtree
Nominee

Post by willowtree »

We've never had a straight yes or no after a recall either. I can understand why they don't tell you after the first round of casting but I always thought that they could at least for a recall... All the travelling, expenses, hope etc... they know that that is the "norm" in the industry so they get away with it as they know there will always be another child waiting in line. It's very frustrating ](*,)
newgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by newgirl »

That's interesting campaign Tayla - let's see what happens.

I assume it's a no unless told yes - though much harder when recalls, pencils etc as you start to mentally make plans!