Fees to join agency

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

welshblackbird
Nominee

Fees to join agency

Post by welshblackbird »

Can anyone tell me how much I would be expected to pay for my daughter to go in the spotlight directory, head shots, showreel etc please.

Also does anyone know any good agencies based in Wales that cover Music Theatre auditions, TV commercials and modelling.

I have been approached by an agent who was watching a show my daughter was singing in. It turns out he is linked to a photography business and has quoted me £500 for photographs and a showreel plus spotlight fee.

I have looked at various posts here and it seems this is way over the top? Can anyone advise me please?
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Re: Fees to join agency

Post by ACookie »

Spotlight is around £100 a year, slightly less I think. Photos you can pay what you want for really - but even in London a full package is probably around £200-250, and to be honest until you have anything professional to put on a show reel, they probably aren't necessary. Small samples of singing, voice work, accents can be added to a spotlight profile, but I agree £500 seems way too much. Agents shouldn't technically charge you anything to represent your DD. If they want to represent her, you will have to pay for spotlight and a decent head shot is needed but most agents will be happy to let you source this yourself.
welshblackbird
Nominee

Post by welshblackbird »

Thank you. That's helpful. So all I really need to pay is Spotlight fees (around £100) plus one headshot to go into the directory? Sorry I am new to all this
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

welshblackbird wrote:Thank you. That's helpful. So all I really need to pay is Spotlight fees (around £100) plus one headshot to go into the directory? Sorry I am new to all this
As a child you have to have an agent or can't go on to Spotlight.
newgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by newgirl »

That sounds far too much. The two agencies I know about (both in top 10) charge 50-100 for your child to go to their photography day and take headshots. This is cheaper as they have a whole day booked of kids. You also get pics that they and the industry like. You get the pics too. One then charges a handling fee of 20 for the admin side of things. They both take commission on any jobs. YOu have to think of them like estate agents - they need to make money too but a big enough agency keeps the costs as low as pos.

Spotlight then charge 95 I think a year? You pay that whether you have an agency or not.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

To join as a child you have to have an agent, but if you're no longer with an agency or between agents you can stay on there and even renew as long as you pay your annual fee. If you don't pay, your membership is suspended, but I had a helpful email this week saying that if DS, who doesn't currently want to act (he's writing plays instead), changes his mind in future, we can sign up again directly with them, as long as he's still in the age range for youth membership.
welshblackbird
Nominee

Post by welshblackbird »

Thank you. Being a newbie I was shocked at the cost but wasn't sure if it was the norm. Does anyone have good experiences with agents based in Wales please??
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't endorse them but the most well known agency in Wales is Mark Jermin, http://www.markjermin.co.uk/agency.htm

Can I reiterate what others have said. Please don't pay £500 to join an agency. The spotlight fees are £95.00 plus the cost of photo. Most musical theatre castings are advertised openly so don't need an agent for that keep an eye on our twitter feed as I try to post them when I am aware. In many cases however you do need to be based in London or inside the M25.

Good luck with your search.
Hope Never Dies....
welshblackbird
Nominee

Post by welshblackbird »

Thank you everyone. I had considered dd attending Mark Jermin but I really can't afford the termly cost of rehearsals. It is very annoying that we do not live on the M25 so have no chance at auditions in London. I really am beginning to wonder if it's all worth it and maybe dd would be better off giving up her dream and exploring other options for her future career :(
Brighterthanstars
BRIT Award

Post by Brighterthanstars »

How old is your DD? If she's still young then why not stick with youth theatre for a bit until she's a bit older, and you can start exploring options for professional acting?
From personal experience, I think if you find a really good youth theatre, that's just as great an opportunity as a kid. There's no rush! Just try to have fun!
If she's older then, how about auditioning for national youth theatre or similar where they have a residential and it's a very good credit to have when looking for an agent etc.
Hope that helps, I understand how frustrating it must be for you and your dd x
If you think that you're too small to make an impact, try sleeping with a mosquito in the room.
welshblackbird
Nominee

Post by welshblackbird »

Hi. My daughter will be 17 this year. I'll look into into the National Youth Theatre. Thank you