Changing agency - etiquette?

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Middlesexmum
BRIT Award

Changing agency - etiquette?

Post by Middlesexmum »

My dd has been with an agency for while now but hasn't had any work. I'm not saying it's the agency's fault, I know how fickle the business is.

Anyway dd and I were at a talk as part of the Radio Times festival recently and we heard of an agency where the children are supplied from for a particular TV programme. I contacted them and they have set up a meeting to meet dd.

Do I tell them she is registered with another agency? If you want to leave an agency, do you have to give notice etc?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Re: Changing agency - etiquette?

Post by TalyaB »

You would usually have to give notice, though they might release you without holding you to it. The exact notice period will be stated in your contract.

And yes, you should tell any potential new agency that she is already represented, and also what your notice period is, and whether or not you've already given notice.
Missella88
Nominee

Post by Missella88 »

Hi, Moving from one agency to another should really be quite a straightforward process but it's always best to follow the correct ettiquette as agents do talk to each other as you would expect. Firstly make sure that you're completely happy with the contractual terms from the new agency. Then write to your existing agency to let them know that you are transferring to the new agency while thanking them for their representation to date. Your contract with your existing agency will have a notice period within the terms usually 3 months but this can be more or less depending on the agency. As mentioned previously most agencies will be prepared to consider a waiver of the notice period if you communicate with them and are not likely to be put forward for castings etc during the forthcoming notice period. Once you have communicated that you will be transferring to the new agency then your old agency should write to the new agency with a 'handover'. Usually this involves confirmation of any professional work that has been undertaken along with a quick note about your dc during the time they have been with the agency. It's also polite for one agency to wish the other agency the best of luck. This is generally good etiquette but obviously all agencies are different. Don't be put off by the fact your dc has been without work with one agency as again all agencys are different & as such so is their remit for clients and work. Hope this helps! :D
Middlesexmum
BRIT Award

Post by Middlesexmum »

Thank you very much, very helpful :)
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Not all agency's will waiver the time you have to give nottice, DS got a really good agent but old agent would not budge even when new agent offered to let old agent have the commission if he got any work with new agent, it was really annoying as new agent said there was lots he could put DS up for and was not getting any thing from old agent. Good luck with it hope your agent is one of the ones that will waiver
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Irishdancer's spot on here. The agencies often want a continued 'hook' that they can use in case the new agent gets you a plumb job, and the useless one maintains it's because of their effort in promotion. Like Brexit - it's all down to negotiation.