D A Music Group

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Twitchett
Nominee

D A Music Group

Post by Twitchett »

Hi Folks,

I wonder if any of you have had dealings with D A music group in Soho ? My daughter had an audition, they want to take her on, but are wishing to charge for studio time initially. Saying we will get the money back...... any help appreciated!
Mamadetres
GRAMMY Award

Re: D A Music Group

Post by Mamadetres »

Did they say how you would get the money back?
aisha3095
Nominee

Post by aisha3095 »

Hey,

I'm in the exact same position, did you pay the money in the end? & if so, did you get it back?

Thanks
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

While we tend to shy away from agencies who charge huge amounts for photographs, the recording situation is a bit different. When they say take her on, what do they mean? I'm thinking that they perhaps mean taking her onto their record label? The usual and quite historic situation is that they agree to pay the artistes, but then deduct the cost of putting them out there from the royalties. While from the Beatles onwards this has worked for names we know, plenty of one-hit wonders made no money at all, because like a poorly performing theatre production, it doesn't recoup. So the first album does OK-ish, but they drop the artiste before the second. They then recoup their recording costs from the PRS/PPL income.

I would suggest giving the contract to a legal beagle before signing, because recording costs can be huge - and that studio is not cheap to run. I don't know any of their artistes - they could be really famous, or not, I don't know (too old)

I'm a dubious devil - I wonder if it's just a way of selling their studio downtime? I always wonder about the notion of taking somebody on, then charging them - be it photos, or music, or costumes. I'd want to know a great deal about what 'taking her one' actually means. Sounds wonderful, but you did an audition, they liked her enough to take her on and then want upfront payments for recording her? If they really want her, would they not want to record her with a deferred fee if they thought the project had legs?