Applying for an agency again

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

tashward2804
Nominee

Applying for an agency again

Post by tashward2804 »

Now I know the rules not to annoy an agent; if you contact them and they want to contact you back then they will, follow up calls are a nono. However, I was wondering what the stance was on re-applying for an agency?
I had an audition with this particular agency in January after applying, being asked for a self tape and then being invited to an audition. I did well in my solo audition but when moved up into the older group audition, admittedly I choked and did not hear back from them. Their books are now open again and I do feel confident enough to try again, but do not know whether once an agency says no that's final, or whether they are open to seeing you again.
Any help would be great!! :D
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Re: Applying for an agency again

Post by Irishdancer »

You could try again they can only say no. Is it a child agent that has young adults? If so you could try for adult agency. Ds had a lot of trouble getting an adult agent 30 aplactions every one said he would not have any trouble had a great CV but no thought he would have to stay with his old agent so after 30 aplactions 3 interviews he got into the last agent he saw been with them for a year and a few months had some great castings and 3 good parts so don't give up
tagmama
GRAMMY Award

Post by tagmama »

Agencies are like recruitment agencies they need clients to make their money, there is nothing to stop you calling them and seeing if they would be interested in seeing you again.

Remember when one door closes another opens.
tashward2804
Nominee

Post by tashward2804 »

sorry I should have put; I was supposed to be in the under 14 workshop but was moved up into the 15-18 one. Being surrounded by all these older people I was a bit taken back and was not on the same wavelength as them when thinking of ideas for improv. I could sit and make up excuses but essentially I choked but I feel that I am better prepared now to give it another shot.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

There's no harm at all in applying again, providing there's been a significant enough gap. They can only say no!

The advice "not to annoy" is usually given when contacting CDs and Directors. There, you could scupper future chances (when you really might be suitable) if you constantly pester on the off chance they "might have" something suitable. You can always write to CDs /Directors if you have something significant to say e.g. you're in something they could come and see or you have a new showreel etc. - or,of course, if you happen to know they're casting something you'd be perfect for (provided they haven't given instructions not to). Just writing because you're an actor who wants a job isn't much use to them and they don't have much time for speculative/cold call approaches. Pleading for another chance after an unsuccessful audition would not be likely to go down well.

The agency case is - I would suggest - different. The agent might not want to see you again, in which case, at least you'll know and can try elsewhere. You won't be scuppering your chances of future work by asking them. Plus, they might say yes!