Discontinued Representation

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Ellie8989899301
GRAMMY Award

Discontinued Representation

Post by Ellie8989899301 »

Hi everyone,

I renewed my contract with my current agent just over a month ago and have just had a letter from them saying that they are going to discontinue representation next month due to me not securing any work. I'm not sure what they have put me forward for but I haven't had any auditions through them, whereas I have been applying for jobs on Casting Call Pro and have had both auditions and work. My Spotlight has only just been renewed, so I was wondering what I am supposed to do when I am no longer represented?

Thank you,
Eleanor.
Mamadetres
GRAMMY Award

Re: Discontinued Representation

Post by Mamadetres »

You can ask them for the list of what they have submitted you for so you can see and maybe take a look at your profile, update your headshot etc and see if that makes a difference.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

That sounds a rather cold way to drop you - without any kind of discussion?

Are you a "child/young person" performer? Or an adult performer?

If you're an adult performer, you can just carry on being in Spotlight - you don't need agency representation. If you are young performer, I'd recommend a) contacting Spotlight to ask them and b) writing to lots of new agents to see whether someone else will take you on.

Best of luck :)
Ellie8989899301
GRAMMY Award

Post by Ellie8989899301 »

Thank you for your replies, I am a young performer. I turned 21 on Monday, but I am guessing that for the rest of the Spotlight year I will continue as a young performer?
xebonykissesx
GRAMMY Award

Post by xebonykissesx »

I had an agent contact me via Spotlight for representation when I was a young performer, and of course you should go ahead and apply to other agents, it really helps that you already have Spotlight. So don't be too disheartened, maybe the agency just wasn't a good fit for you!
*The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return. Stand your ground for freedom, beauty, truth, and love.* - Moulin Rouge
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Well, now you are twenty one, you are no longer a young performer, so you can manage fine without an agent of you wish - it sounds like the agent you had was rubbish anyway - you didn't secure any work through them - which is actually their fault, isn't it? Push on with what yo are doing and ask your friends for any good agent suggestions. Being with a brilliant agency sounds good - IF they know who you even are. Sometimes smaller ones can be much better as they have to get you work to get paid! Remember agents work for YOU, not the other way around. You had a rubbish one, so get a better one, if you need one. If the jobs and auditions come from other routes, push on with them.