How much experience needed?

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Nisha101
GRAMMY Award

How much experience needed?

Post by Nisha101 »

I'm new to this and would like to know how much experience is needed for an agent?
wissymo
GRAMMY Award

Re: How much experience needed?

Post by wissymo »

It would really depend on how old you are and which agencies you are looking at applying to!
Nisha101
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nisha101 »

Hi wissymo thanks for the reply,I'm a teenager and ones around London
cupcakephoebz
GRAMMY Award

Post by cupcakephoebz »

I only have school and theatre school productions and I am applying to, RKA, DK, D&D, B&B (books are now open) and MJ.
Hope that helps xx
One day everyone will make it, but for now I'm still waiting http://www.starnow.co.uk/phoebespence1
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

When you are applying to agencies and hoping to be taken on, it may help you to consider the process from the agent's point of view.

Acting agents should not charge up front fees - I'd just like to get that point out of the way. If they do then they will find it easier to make money just by taking people on their books - there's no shortage of people wanting agency representation - they won't have to worry all that much whether or not their clients get work.

There is a massive shortage of paid work for actors, so agents have to work very hard to make money in the way that they should: by charging commission on the paid work their actors get. Good agents (the ones you want to be represented by) will be very, very fussy about the people they take on. They will want to be sure that you are marketable. They will take you on because they think that you might get employment - either now or in the future. They won't take on lots of people of the same type. They will only take people on if they know what they can do.

So, why should an agent take YOU on? They might take you on because they have a gap on their books. You might (for example) be from a particular ethnic background that is under-represented in their agency. You might have a "look" that they know the commercial casting directors really like. You won't know what this gap is (unless you can look at their website and see who they represent - and this often isn't possible for children's agencies) - so there is no harm in applying to any agent (providing there are no upfront fees or other charges). You need to make sure you have a good clear photograph that really looks like you. It needs to be recent. It needs to be professional looking (a good amateur photographer who is prepared to do a bit of research into what an actor's headshot should look like can produce what you need in the first instance). I'm happy to offer further thoughts on photos if you'd like it or need it :D

Agents might take you on if you have a particularly interesting CV or if you have a showreel available that shows that you are a gifted screen actor. They will still probably want to meet you and see how you come across in person - they should want to meet you, and you should want to meet them.

Agents won't take you on because you are "passionate about acting" or because it's all you've ever wanted to do and you are prepared to work really, really hard. The decision they will make is a business decision - or it should be. If agents turn you down, it's not personal: it's business.

I would suggest doing a bit of research. Have a look at few professional stage productions and consider whether there is anyone of your age, type and skillset in them (you may not find any). Have a look at a week's worth of TV and count up how many actors of your age and type there are in drama programmes - and how many of these are British programmes (discount any that are not British and discount any repeats). Think about any films you have seen, any commercials, any on-line material that feature actors like you. Count all of these. This will only be a snapshot of work available, but it can give you an idea. You could mulitply the figure by 5 or 10 or even 20 if you wanted to, so that you recognise that there are jobs available you will know nothing about. Then consider the thousands of people (and there will be thousands) already represented by agents who will have been submitted for these jobs and not got them. You probably also need to acknowledge that the same actors often get job after job, so it's not "one job, one actor". Then consider whether an agent needs anyone else on their books like you. It's a rather sobering exercise but it can help you come to terms with how difficult it is to get 1. good agency representation and 2. paid work.

You can still apply to agents though - because you really might be someone who fills a gap for them! Nothing ventured, nothing gained :D
Nisha101
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nisha101 »

cupcakephoebz wrote:I only have school and theatre school productions and I am applying to, RKA, DK, D&D, B&B (books are now open) and MJ.
Hope that helps xx
Okay thanks what do they stand for sorry?xx
Nisha101
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nisha101 »

pg wrote:When you are applying to agencies and hoping to be taken on, it may help you to consider the process from the agent's point of view.

Acting agents should not charge up front fees - I'd just like to get that point out of the way. If they do then they will find it easier to make money just by taking people on their books - there's no shortage of people wanting agency representation - they won't have to worry all that much whether or not their clients get work.

There is a massive shortage of paid work for actors, so agents have to work very hard to make money in the way that they should: by charging commission on the paid work their actors get. Good agents (the ones you want to be represented by) will be very, very fussy about the people they take on. They will want to be sure that you are marketable. They will take you on because they think that you might get employment - either now or in the future. They won't take on lots of people of the same type. They will only take people on if they know what they can do.

So, why should an agent take YOU on? They might take you on because they have a gap on their books. You might (for example) be from a particular ethnic background that is under-represented in their agency. You might have a "look" that they know the commercial casting directors really like. You won't know what this gap is (unless you can look at their website and see who they represent - and this often isn't possible for children's agencies) - so there is no harm in applying to any agent (providing there are no upfront fees or other charges). You need to make sure you have a good clear photograph that really looks like you. It needs to be recent. It needs to be professional looking (a good amateur photographer who is prepared to do a bit of research into what an actor's headshot should look like can produce what you need in the first instance). I'm happy to offer further thoughts on photos if you'd like it or need it :D

Agents might take you on if you have a particularly interesting CV or if you have a showreel available that shows that you are a gifted screen actor. They will still probably want to meet you and see how you come across in person - they should want to meet you, and you should want to meet them.

Agents won't take you on because you are "passionate about acting" or because it's all you've ever wanted to do and you are prepared to work really, really hard. The decision they will make is a business decision - or it should be. If agents turn you down, it's not personal: it's business.

I would suggest doing a bit of research. Have a look at few professional stage productions and consider whether there is anyone of your age, type and skillset in them (you may not find any). Have a look at a week's worth of TV and count up how many actors of your age and type there are in drama programmes - and how many of these are British programmes (discount any that are not British and discount any repeats). Think about any films you have seen, any commercials, any on-line material that feature actors like you. Count all of these. This will only be a snapshot of work available, but it can give you an idea. You could mulitply the figure by 5 or 10 or even 20 if you wanted to, so that you recognise that there are jobs available you will know nothing about. Then consider the thousands of people (and there will be thousands) already represented by agents who will have been submitted for these jobs and not got them. You probably also need to acknowledge that the same actors often get job after job, so it's not "one job, one actor". Then consider whether an agent needs anyone else on their books like you. It's a rather sobering exercise but it can help you come to terms with how difficult it is to get 1. good agency representation and 2. paid work.

You can still apply to agents though - because you really might be someone who fills a gap for them! Nothing ventured, nothing gained :D
Wow! This has really helped me thank you :D
cupcakephoebz
GRAMMY Award

Post by cupcakephoebz »

Robert Kelly associates, Mark jermin, bonnie and betty, daisy and dukes, A and J management (accidentally typed dk on this one) xx
One day everyone will make it, but for now I'm still waiting http://www.starnow.co.uk/phoebespence1
louey74
BRIT Award

Post by louey74 »

Both my children have recently been taken on by Daisy & Dukes. My DS is 13 and has done a few panto's and ensemble in the touring King & I at a theatre close to us, no other experience. My DD is 7 and has no experience at all, took them both to D&D audition workshop and were both offered representation. Early days but decided it was worth a go, only time will tell. DS has been nagging me for a few years so finally gave in.
See who's books are open and no harm in applying.....you will get lots of really helpful advice from people on here, we are relatively new to all of this but have learnt lots of great stuff from napm. Good luck :D
Nisha101
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nisha101 »

cupcakephoebz wrote:Robert Kelly associates, Mark jermin, bonnie and betty, daisy and dukes, A and J management (accidentally typed dk on this one) xx
Thanks!:)
Nisha101
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nisha101 »

louey74 wrote:Both my children have recently been taken on by Daisy & Dukes. My DS is 13 and has done a few panto's and ensemble in the touring King & I at a theatre close to us, no other experience. My DD is 7 and has no experience at all, took them both to D&D audition workshop and were both offered representation. Early days but decided it was worth a go, only time will tell. DS has been nagging me for a few years so finally gave in.
See who's books are open and no harm in applying.....you will get lots of really helpful advice from people on here, we are relatively new to all of this but have learnt lots of great stuff from napm. Good luck :D