Choosing the right agent, help

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

PoppyLily
BRIT Award

Choosing the right agent, help

Post by PoppyLily »

Hi all, I'm new to the site and looking for any help with finding an agent for my two daughters. My girls are completely new to professional casting/roles and I'm finding it a bit of a minefield. They have been offered a photo shoot with Kitsch, an audition for Organic Kidz on Saturday and representation with Nic Knight Management. I have also applied to Mad Fish, Elizabeth Smith, Chilli Kids and have not heard back from them as yet. I have spoken to d&d and their books are closed till the summer as is b&b. Any help or advice would be most welcome. Many thanks
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Choosing the right agent, help

Post by pg »

Hi. If you are looking for an acting agency, you need to find an agent that insists on finding out what your children are like face to face at an interview/audition/workshop or assessing their abilities via a showreel or performance . It is a minefield. I would certainly make sure you ask lots of questions if the answers are not clear from a website and I would never, ever sign with an agent if I had not had a face to face meeting with them. I would never sign a contract on the spot either. A trial period can often be a good idea for both sides.

Personally, I would never sign with an agent that charged up front fees.

You should be free to choose your own photographer (though agents may have recommendations and will certainly have a view on the sort of photograph needed). Don't ever sign up via a photoshoot where you have to pay for the photographs - this will be a scam.

Ideally you need to find out how many clients they represent (if you are looking for acting work, the agent should know all their clients). You probably need to know what their experience is like and what kind of work their clients get.

How old are your daughters and what kind of work are you hoping they will get? Do you live within easy reach of London or Manchester?
PoppyLily
BRIT Award

Post by PoppyLily »

Hi, thank you so much for such an informed view. My girls are 8 and 9 and we live within easy reach of central London. They both want to go for professional acting roles but they also have quite different looks and talents. My younger daughter is extremely photogenic and a natural dancer and my elder daughter excels at stage performances and singing. They are both attending performing arts school and equally confident in acting, dance and singing. They both passed an audition for a new agency, Organic Kidz. Kitsch Agency want to take them on too, they've seen photos but never met them plus want £120 each up front to include a photo shoot. Nic Night Management too have offered representation again without meeting them. Today Elizabeth Smith offered my younger daughter a contract asking for £185 up front, again hasn't met her!! I've had a really nice email from Mad Fish who have seen the girls photos and want to arrange a meeting. I suppose I would just like them both to be with a good all round agency, represented well and given the opportunities they're looking for, and not ripped off!! I am so grateful you replied and I have taken on board all of your comments. Please feel free to add any further comments x
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

My dd was with Elizabeth Smith when she was little - I thought they were photographic though? Don't remember paying that sort of money though and we were invited down to meet Elizabeth Smith before being offered representation. Think we had to provide a series of photos and there was a fee for going into their book. What was the £185 fee for exactly? Although the good agencies don't charge a "fee" as such, it does cost to have photos taken and for the Spotlight entry which I think people get a bit confused about. I would be quite concerned about an agency who did not want to meet the child - how on earth can they send a child to auditions and castings without knowing anything about the child.
All new to me!
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

I would say Kitsch and Elizabeth Smith are more modelling than acting - and if you are interested in modelling too then I would either go for an agent that has a good mix of modelling and acting (someone like Bonnie & Betty) or go for a modelling agent that doesn't charge ridiculous fees - Kids London - Bruce & Brown etc. You may find that there are not many agencies that will let you have separate modelling and acting agents but some still do. Exactly right that an acting agent should meet you face to face - otherwise you can be sure they have squillions on their books, which is often not in your best interest - good luck x
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

ooh yes, agree with Caroline - you do need to factor in that you will need good photos and for acting you will need a Spotlight page for each - which is around £85-90 a year - so ask if these larger fees are covering this too
PoppyLily
BRIT Award

Post by PoppyLily »

Hi everyone, thank you for all of the comments. I'm still in a tizz about all of this, do I let my girls join someone like Kitsch even though they are more modelling? Will they still be able to go for other roles e.g casting calls on ccp. Kitsch ask for half of the registration fee upfront (2 x £60) before they will confirm their place on the photo shoot. This is because some people book then fail to turn up. I totally understand paying for photographs and Spotlight is extra, that's fine. Elizabeth Smith's fee of £185 is to maintain my daughters profile on their website. I have a problem paying for anything when I haven't met with the agent and more importantly they haven't met the girls!! Bonnie and Betty's book is closed, I checked them out last week. I really want a good all round agency, don't mind paying for photos, Spotlight etc. I have applied to Mad Fish and Chilli Kids, had an email back from MF, hope to meet with them, nothing from CK. I just don't want to make a mistake with this, the girls are very new at the professional side of the industry and really want to make the best choice for them. Sorry sorry to all who think I am going on a bit x :oops:
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I think you are quite right to be thinking it over carefully.

I can only really reiterate the advice I usually give - but would like to make it clear that it's just my opinion!

If your daughters are more interested in acting/performing then hold out for an agency that insists on meeting them first. It matters less for photographic/modelling/commercial agencies where "look" is all. There are only limited opportunities for professional work and some of this will be commercials and photoshoots - but acting agencies are likely to put your dd's forward for these jobs too, so you need not miss out on these job possibilities by joining an acting agency.

I would certainly refuse to pay £60 before you have even had photos taken ! :shock: :shock: . What if the photos are poor? I would refuse to join an agency that insisted that I had to use their photographer too. That's a very common scam to be honest. They win hands down all the way to the bank don't they? No guarantee of work. Money for photographs (you must already have photographs - otherwise how do they know they want you - why do they need new ones?). Half the fee before they've even taken you on the books? It all sounds very dubious indeed. I would say that was one to cross off your list.

Personally I would never join an agency that charged an up front fee. You will have to pay the Spotlight fee, but that's a different matter (and doesn't go to the agent).

If you have agents interested in you - and if they are genuinely interested in you and don't just want your money - they will still be interested in you at a later stage. You don't need to feel pushed or rushed in to making a decision. If they say "you must decide right now or the offer is withdrawn" (and they charge an upfront fee) then I would regard this in the same light as a dodgy used car salesman who doesn't want you to leave the showroom. Let them know that you are pleased that they are interested but that you have a number of offers to consider. If you do decide to go with one that charges a fee - ask them if they will take it out of earnings rather than paying it up front.

As anyone who reads my rambling posts on NAPM will know: I don't care how well established an agency is, I still don't think they should be charging an upfront fee - however they dress it up and whatever they call it. I know not everyone shares that view though!
PoppyLily
BRIT Award

Post by PoppyLily »

Thank you pg for such a concise reply and explanation. I agree with your comments. My girls have been invited to meet with Mad Fish Management next month and have auditions/meetings with two other agents in June, so think I'm going in the right direction. I think it's important to hold out for the right offer and feel comfortable with your choice. The girls have been offered representation with the new Organic Kidz agency too, not sure if anyone out there has experience with them? Any feedback on Mad Fish would be welcome too. Also I know Daisy & Dukes books are closed till early Summer, does anyone know when they are auditioning again? Thanks for all of your help everyone :)
PoppyLily
BRIT Award

Post by PoppyLily »

Hi All, my dd's auditioned for Mark Jermin on Saturday, should hear today or tommorow if they were successful!! Lots of great advice from all of you since my original post on 'Choosing the right agent', still an ongoing search and work in progress :? My youngest dd has been offered a contract with Chilli Kids and Elizabeth Smith and both are seeing Mad Fish in June. Was hoping to have them both with the same agent, maybe that's a bit unrealistic as they have very different looks and talents?? Thoughts as ever, very welcome :)
Humph
GRAMMY Award

Re: Changing Agents

Post by Humph »

Hi

I would welcome your experience regarding the Notice Period to leave an agent - I have been quoted 6 weeks from one and 6 months from another #-o

Thank-you
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Humph, I think that each agency varies. You should be able to find out what the notice period is on your contract. I think my dc's agent requires 3 months - hope that helps :)
Mummyaud
BRIT Award

Post by Mummyaud »

I am guessing from the above that is a long process moving from one agent to another then? How do people go about this? Do you audition for the new agent and then if accepted give notice and they wait 3 months before they can take you on?
michbv
GRAMMY Award

Post by michbv »

Been reading these comments and I'm really not happy with my Ds's agent. I can't find a particular contract although when we agreed it said that we couldn't go with another agent whilst with her. In the 15 months my son has been with her, he has had about 3 auditions, without success. In that time I have found him about 6 auditions, where he was accepted for 2 theatre shows, a rock video, and now has 2 big auditions coming up. When asking her if there is anything, she says all quiet at the moment.
Also she took photos when my son joined the agency, which cost a minimal fee. I have never seen these photos. I told her about 6 months ago that my DS's teeth have come out and he now has his adult teeth, and she hasnt asked for new photos.
Whilst writing this, I know I should leave her, but I believe she is a good agent from what I heard before we joined. I think she also has an acting school, so not sure if she puts those children in front queue of any auditions.
How is a polite way of leaving as I wouldn't want to sound uppity, or ungrateful? But I do feel that I am finding out about auditions that suit my child more than her.
Thanks for reading and look forward to some advice

www.starnow.co.uk/adambeaver
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I don't think you need worry too much about exactly what you say if/when you want to move. Actors move agents - it's a fact of life. It just needs to be a short letter saying that you feel the time has come to move on, thanking them for their work during the time you have been with them and wishing them well. If you have made your mind up to go and you are not looking for debate/discussion/improvement then you don't have to give any reasons. As long as you keep it polite and professional there should be no problems. You wouldn't be moving if you were completely happy with them, so they will know that - but if you keep it civil, you can part on reasonable terms.

Be careful when you go to a new agency when they ask why you want to move. Be polite about your old agent and talk about your future hopes, not too much about the past (except for explaining what you have gained from any work done). Your new agent will know that you were not happy with the old but if you are scathing or too critical they will be wondering whether you may be bad-mouthing them when you move on from them too! If you are moving because you have discovered that your old agent runs the business in a slightly dodgy way, express how happy you are about the new agent runs his/her business. If you felt the old agent had zero useful contacts, say how happy you are that the new agent appears to have excellent contacts. Let them read between the lines. Agents appreciate clients who are discreet I think. It's a very small world!

If you have a long notice period (mine is 6 weeks) then you do need to accept that there may be implications about commission (possibly paying double commission to old and new?) - or that the old agent may not work that hard for you during that time (though I bet they would still put you forward for a well-paid job you were perfect for: commission is commission!).