Should we change Agencies? Please Advise me!

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Meggie
Nominee

Should we change Agencies? Please Advise me!

Post by Meggie »

Hello everyone,
I'm new to NAPM and I need some advice about the agency my girls are with. They are 8 year old identical twins and we are with a Manchester agency. They have only done one commercial in the past year and have only had one other audition that I think just about every child with an agency went to as it was a National no smoking campaign! I was just wondering if this is just normal and there isn't much work about or whether we aren't getting the best deal with this agent. I have spoken to them and they say they do put them forward for things.

I have spoken to someone from another agency and they tell me they have lots of work for twins but I wasn't sure whether they just wanted us to go to their expensive drama classes, as they take on all children from that. The thing about the agency they are with at the moment is that they are a lot more picky about who they take on, which is why I'm concerned about leaving them.

The girls aren't into dancing/singing, just acting.

Any advise much appreciated, Thankyou.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: Should we change Agencies? Please Advise me!

Post by paulears »

If the drama classes are a prerequisite to be on the books, sounds a bit dodgy to me. Ask them for the name of somebody they represent who can tell you how good they are. An agent taking money of the people they represent in exchange for training seems a bit of a conflict of interests. I suppose it's not unlike the agencies tied up with Birds, Laines etc - but at least their training is validated and people know the quality level of their people. Somebody giving drama classes might not be such good value?
Meggie
Nominee

Post by Meggie »

Thankyou for taking the time to respond. I do think this other agency sounds a bit dodgy you're right, I get the impression it's a bit of a money spinner for them. The agency we are with have represented a lot of well known people and they do seem a very reputable agency so maybe there just isn't the work out there for them at the moment or they just haven't been what they're looking for. Its a shame really because they absolutely loved doing the commercial so just hope something comes up soon for them before they get too tall like their sister!
emi's mum
BAFTA Award

Post by emi's mum »

Meggie wrote:Thankyou for taking the time to respond. I do think this other agency sounds a bit dodgy you're right, I get the impression it's a bit of a money spinner for them. The agency we are with have represented a lot of well known people and they do seem a very reputable agency so maybe there just isn't the work out there for them at the moment or they just haven't been what they're looking for. Its a shame really because they absolutely loved doing the commercial so just hope something comes up soon for them before they get too tall like their sister!
Hi Meggie
I would ask for a meeting with the agent. They will be able to show you on their Spotlight page exactly what they have been put up for. It would help put your mind at ease that the agent has been working for them. It isn't in the agent's interest to have you on their books and not work for you though. I would also address with them if they feel that better/different photos would help your girls get noticed in the right way. The Spotlight profile is all the CD has to go on when the agent has submitted them for work and it's so important to get it right. Heights, skills, credits etc need to be up to date too. I would ask them to help you review their Spotlight pages.
Hope this helps.
Meggie
Nominee

Post by Meggie »

Thankyou Emi's mum that does help because they haven't ever even mentioned Spotlight yet I hear about auditions from that all the time, so they may not even be on that! The only one they asked me to put details on was castingnetworks and nothing has ever come of that. I will take your advice and set up a meeting with them Thanks