Mark Jermin

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

1welshlady
Nominee

Mark Jermin

Post by 1welshlady »

Hi,
My children have been in spotlite for 10 years. Mark Jermin has not sent them to a single audition for the past 5 years even though he is their agent!! Has this happened to anybody else?
In4aPenny
GRAMMY Award

Re: Mark Jermin

Post by In4aPenny »

Are you serious?! That is terrible. Why does he keep your children on his books then? :shock: Have you been regularly updating their photos? That would help. I would phone and ask why if I were you. I'm sorry to hear this.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Hello

I saw your other post about the numbers on Mark Jermin's books. This will certainly be a contributing factor...

It does depend a bit upon how many people he has working for him. Some of the very top agents have large client lists but they also have several agents.

However - nothing in 5 years is not the mark of a successful actor/agent relationship!

How often have you been in touch with the agent during these five years?

One thing it's important to know/recognise though: it is not the agent who sends the actor to an audition. The actor has to be invited to audition (normally). Some agents have influence of course and their suggestions will be taken seriously, but it is the Casting Director or Director who selects who they want to see. This might be by asking for them directly (because they already have them in mind) or they may select them from all the submissions they get from agents. They may only see a handful of actors from hundreds of submissions.

There won't necessarily be all that many opportunities in Wales (which is where I assume you are based).

How did the representation come about in the first place? Has the agent ever met your children or seen them perform?

Having said that - your partnership with this agency is clearly not working. Like In4aPenny, I wonder why on earth he is keeping you on his books - unless of course you are paying anything to the agency ( I don't mean your Spotlight fees, these don't go the agent - but make sure you know how much they are and ensure the agent isn't getting anything on top).
You need to arrange a meeting, I think, to discuss what the problem is. If you can't get a meeting, or you are not satisfied with what you hear at the meeting then it's time to get a new agent. It can't be worse than this one (for you - the relationship may be working for others) I shouldn't think!
GreaseIstheWord
BRIT Award

Post by GreaseIstheWord »

I am new on here. My DD is with Mark Jermin and has been for about a year and a half. She's had about 7 castings in that time which is not alot really considering she is 11 but can pass for 9. I think there are about 5 staff working, may be more but I only know 5 names. I don't find that they tend to be too happy when you question why your DC isn't getting sent for things, just say that there's not much around or that they have been submitted and haven't been called. If they have over 600 children on their books though can you believe that they are submitting all children that fit the brief?? I will be looking at other agencies later in the year, just need to look at T&C's of contract. One plus side of them is their commission is only 20%, should you happen to get work,but they never pass on any fees they may get for kids going for auditions or recalls but not sure if many agents do pass this on to kids. To not be sent for anything in 5 years though is a bit extreme and you should phone them with your concerns and definitely go elsewhere.
geordiegirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by geordiegirl »

I think 20% agent commission is rather high. Does this include VAT?
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

geordiegirl wrote:I think 20% agent commission is rather high. Does this include VAT?
It's not high really....it's actually a better deal than the 25% most of them charge.... More if its a feature film :shock:
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

GreaseIstheWord wrote:I am new on here. My DD is with Mark Jermin and has been for about a year and a half. She's had about 7 castings in that time which is not alot really considering she is 11 but can pass for 9. I think there are about 5 staff working, may be more but I only know 5 names. I don't find that they tend to be too happy when you question why your DC isn't getting sent for things, just say that there's not much around or that they have been submitted and haven't been called. If they have over 600 children on their books though can you believe that they are submitting all children that fit the brief?? I will be looking at other agencies later in the year, just need to look at T&C's of contract. One plus side of them is their commission is only 20%, should you happen to get work,but they never pass on any fees they may get for kids going for auditions or recalls but not sure if many agents do pass this on to kids. To not be sent for anything in 5 years though is a bit extreme and you should phone them with your concerns and definitely go elsewhere.

REALLY? They don't pass on recall fees? :shock: :shock:
I have a dim view of this agency already from past experience ... But now I'm pleased my DS isn't with them!!!
That's outrageous!!
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I think commission rate is generally higher for children's agencies. I can understand why - the rates of pay for children are often less and there is often a lot more for the agent to do in terms of licensing etc.

Adult acting agencies (in my experience) tend to charge between 10% and 20%. Some take less for theatre and more for commercials - some have a set amount across the board.