Agents in North Staffs

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

caibracon
Nominee

Agents in North Staffs

Post by caibracon »

Hi hope you can help ,can anybody advise me of a good agent i am based in Staffordshire i dont mind Travelling .My Daughter is 12 and very interested in Musical Theatre and acting so i am looking for an agent that can help with this . :)
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Agents in North Staffs

Post by pg »

I think, if I were you I would look at Manchester based agents. You can get a book called "Contacts" which lists most agents. It's published by Spotlight and is available directly from them or via booksellers - you can also ask your local library if they have a copy, though this will probably be under reference so you may not be able to take it away. Second-hand copies from past years are usually available quite cheaply on-line.

You don't need an agent to be based in the same place as you, so there is nothing to stop you applying to London agents if you want to. You need to be prepared for the fact that opportunities for professional work on stage in Musical Theatre and straight acting will be very limited for a 12 year old - especially if she is average or above average height. Think about how many 12 year old girls you have seen in professional shows :? . There is also a strong London bias (though of course Manchester has a great theatre scene and is not bad for film and TV either). The best way to be considered for panto might be to join a dance school or local drama club. You could ring your nearest producing theatre and see whether they have particular groups they usually go to for young talent. You could also contact the New Vic (are you anywhere near there?). I think they have quite a thriving youth theatre and drama club and I am sure they would give consideration to local children if they were ever needed in any productions. http://www.newvictheatre.org.uk/get-involved

Most agents who take on 12 year olds are likely to be interested in the possibility of Commercials/film and TV I would think (though work is not plentiful in this arena either - again, it's worth looking at TV programmes and commercials and counting how many 12 year olds you see and then thinking about the thousands of 12 year olds who want the dozen or so jobs...).

When approaching agents, it's often useful to think about it from their point of view rather than yours. Can you provide something they want and need? What is special about your dd that means they will want to take her on? I would always advise against joining an agency that wants any money from you up front. It's much easier for an agent to make money from hopeful actors' (illegal) "registration" fees than it is for them to find work for the actors.

I hope that's helpful rather than depressing!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

The New Vic hold open auditions every year for children aged 10-14 for their Xmas production. Usually around May time then they select around 40 to do a week long summer school and cast from that
Panto used to be open auditions but our friendly local "celebrity" managed to get only MDS from his wife's school to be picked last year.

Dd has travelled as far as Stockport for opportunities. She's going to an audition on Sunday.

There arnt really any decent local agencies. People I know who are I tested in film/TV have gone with London based ones.

Dh is a vocal coach at a vocational school/college. I'd agree with of that at your daughters age it is mostly go
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

The New Vic hold open auditions every year for children aged 10-14 for their Xmas production. Usually around May time then they select around 40 to do a week long summer school and cast from that
Panto used to be open auditions but our friendly local "celebrity" managed to get only MDS from his wife's school to be picked last year.

Dd has travelled as far as Stockport for opportunities. She's going to an audition on Sunday.

There arnt really any decent local agencies. People I know who are I tested in film/TV have gone with London based ones.

Dh is a vocal coach at a vocational school/college. I'd agree with of that at your daughters age it is mostly goi g to be amateur stuff now there is a big local amateur musical theatre scene
caibracon
Nominee

Post by caibracon »

Thankyou for your reply this sounds very interesting i will look into it :D :D