Children with fixed Braces

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

louey74
BRIT Award

Children with fixed Braces

Post by louey74 »

After 12 months of nagging from my almost 13 ds, I have agreed to submit his details to some agencies, the problem I have is if he is offered a place with an agency, he is due to have braces fitted this year and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. Do you find that they are not sent for castings......is it better to wait until his braces have been removed ? Thank you, Lou.
CAH123
BRIT Award

Re: Children with fixed Braces

Post by CAH123 »

Hi Louey,

I havent had personal experience with this but it was one of the reasons I didnt have braces put on as I thought it might hault opportunities. Perhaps still apply to agencies but if you are asked to audition make it known that your child will be having braces. As long as youre honest, they should be fine. Also, sometimes braces arent a problem and are required for a part. If she doesnt get in, keep up with acting as much as you can and apply in a few years when the braces are off, armed with experience :)
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

I'm not sure I would worry too much about this - but be honest. There are lots of examples of children in roles with fixed braces - Tracey Beaker and Sparticle Mysteries to name a couple. I think this is a natural part of growing up, and sure some roles won't want them, but plenty will. In the overall scheme of things, having braces doesn't really last a long time. Alternatively, could you try the white/clear braces? Don't know much about braces, so these might only be for adults.

We will have the same issue shortly with my DS unless he gets a growth spurt and his jaw grows - hope it all works out for him, let us know hat you decide.
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

My dd had braces at 13, she only got two castings in 18 months :( One of the casting was a period drama :o although she didnt have a speaking part ! I think you are limited with braces and definately fewer castings, but its so worth it in the long run :)